what should it cost?

Started by BFS57, February 01, 2006, 09:15:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BFS57

Hello;
Got a topic that will bring out a lot of answers (I hope). I have a 57 Chevy that has a ugly 700r-4 trans in it. I have decided that this transmission has to go!
Been getting some quotes from local shops to do the job. These quotes range from $1200 to $1700. Including a mild shift kit, Corvette servo, with the lock up properly put in to make it lock up in 4th gear, as well as my tv cable properly adjusted and installed!
My question is, How much should a job like this cost me?
Bruce

chopped

A guy here did mine for $500.00 without the Vette servo. I got a lock-up kit from Speedway for $140.00 and hooked it up. Info for T.V cable came from Sumner's home page (1FATGMC). I hooked that up. I did pull and install the trans. and I think I got a price break cause he used to work with my wife. Point is, doing some yourself saves $$.

entodad

Quote from: "BFS57"Hello;
Got a topic that will bring out a lot of answers (I hope). I have a 57 Chevy that has a ugly 700r-4 trans in it. I have decided that this transmission has to go!
Been getting some quotes from local shops to do the job. These quotes range from $1200 to $1700. Including a mild shift kit, Corvette servo, with the lock up properly put in to make it lock up in 4th gear, as well as my tv cable properly adjusted and installed!
Bruce

After having rebuild three 700r4s and a 4l60E, I would think that a rebuild for $500 is probably not much of a rebuild.  In my rebuilds with me doing all of the work.  I spent about $400 in parts alone....Now this included replacing all the bushings, seals, clutches, bands, upgrading the tv boost valve, putting in a shift improver kit, new converter, upgrading the 3-4 clutch pack etc. this also included miking, and checking everything to help ensure no problems later.

A quality shop will probably run close to 1 K for a carryout...The tranny man I know locally tells me that he can do a complete rebuild in about 1/2 day if there are no major problems.  

Low cost rebuilds can work and work well, but if you have problems...will they stand behind it?

I had a th200c rebuilt a number of years ago and I low bucked it, it never worked quite right until I pulled the governor and found that the seals had never been replaced on it...once they were changed it finally worked about right....lots of aggravation...

Doug
WaChiss......(famous last hillbilly word)

Okiedokie

I paid a local guy $600 to do mine with a shift kit. I did r&r. Joe

Okiedokie

You are correct about "quality " shops might be a grand to do one. However, small one man shops like I use are much more reasonable, and this guy does high quality work. He does it on his schedule, not mine. I would recomend any one to try to find, and develope a rapor with, this type of shop. My experience has been the best results occure with these guys, not the 6 bay in and out in a day shops. Joe

1FATGMC

Bruce

The guy that did mine got about $400, but I provided the parts and that was no converter.  I also bought the TCI lockup kit and installed it.  That price was with the transmission out and delivered to him.  I checked with him recently and he gets about $700 if he supplies the parts (rebuild kit with no new hard parts).

If you buy a good lockup kit like TCI you will have no problems installing it and it is easy especially if the trans. is out of the car.

Unless the guy works with hot rods I wouldn't necessarily trust him to set up the TV cable mounts and adjust it.  If it is a stock car they know what they are doing, but if you have an aftermarket carb installed then be sure they know what they are doing.  I find something like that I'll take the extra time to make sure it is right.  They are trying to make money.

I'm confused though by the part "I have decided that this transmission has to go!".  That sounds like you don't want a 700 any more, but then you talk about doing things that only the 700 or 200R4 has like the TV cable.

If they are doing all the work, pulling the trans, parts, upgrades you talked about, new converter and taking care of the TV cable then the figures you quoted are probably about right.

c ya, Sum

BFS57

Hello;
What I meant by this 700 r4 has got to go is that it has to go as it now is and rebirth itself into what the hell it's supposed to be!
I got a price of around $1700 for me to drop the car and pick it up when it is finished!. The guy I am taking it to builds hot rods and drag cars plus the normal everyday cars too. It seems to be a quality shop that is family owned and operated.
Of course, I thought that about $1200 would get the deed done but I now find myself thinking that I could go to Fourth gear in Apopka and have one of his super 700r4's put in for this price!
Thats why I want to know just how much SHOULD this cost?
Bruce

Okiedokie

Mine was also minus the converter, and as I think back, I probably bought the shift kit myself.  If what you need most is not be the one to do r & r, you feel like the shop can do the job you want, and you want warranty that includes r & r, $1700 is probably about right.

shine

a 700 should run around 1295 carry out. r&r should only be a couple hundred. i run 200's in all my builds. it's a true 4 speed with better shift splits.

BFS57

Hello;
Would you please explain your post about the 200r4 trans. I am not knowledgeable about this trans. I think it is a lighter duty trans but I am interested to know if this transmission would be better for me. Keep in mind that the 57 Chevy I will be putting it in is a big heavy car (not as heavy as some). I don't race, I drive it daily and I am looking for something that will last and be reliable!
Bruce

1FATGMC

Would you please explain your post about the 200r4 trans. I am not knowledgeable about this trans. I think it is a lighter duty trans but I am interested to know if this transmission would be better for me. Keep in mind that the 57 Chevy I will be putting it in is a big heavy car (not as heavy as some). I don't race, I drive it daily and I am looking for something that will last and be reliable!
Bruce

The 700 has a lower 1st gear (a 3.06) while the 200's 1st is around 2.60 I believe.  Me pulling the teardrop all the time I like the lower 1st gear.  The lower first in the 700 means a bigger rpm drop going into 2nd which some drag racers don't like, yet others do fine with the 700.  I have a 200 I put in a '78 Buick I have and like it in that car, but it is not as heavy as my truck/teardrop combination.

I think either one would work for you.  If you go to the 200 you will have to have a new drive shaft made as it is shorter.  If you have a car that had a 350 tranny in it then most of the time the 200 will work with the current drive shaft.  That was my case with the 200 in the Buick, but we (WZJUNK, Larry and I) had to modify the rear transmission mount.

c ya, Sum

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "shine"a 700 should run around 1295 carry out. r&r should only be a couple hundred. i run 200's in all my builds. it's a true 4 speed with better shift splits.

pleases explain why the 700 is not a true 4 speed tranny?
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

BFS57

Hello;
The 700r4 I got came as part of a "deal" connected to a rebuilt motor. Since installing this set up, I haven't been able to get the transmission to shift into overdrive (Im kind of confused between O and 4th). I have adjusted my tv cable to what I have read about that it should be and still no 4th. I took the trans pan off in an effort to see (as if I would know what the hell to look for) if I had any sticking valves or anything indicating a problem. I even had a friend of mine who knows transmissions take a look too and we both think everything is, or should be working properly!
I have another car with the same set up in it and I just really think it's great! Why this set up ain't working, No one seems to have a clue and finding a transmission shop that can sort it out is impossible, they all want to pull, rebuild, and re instal. So I am trying to see if some of these guys are trying to rip my pockets off or making me a deal!
I have found that this 700r4 in the hands of someone in the "know" is something really great but in the hands of someone that don't have a clue, it's a disappointment!
Now you know as much as I do!
Bruce

shine

the 700 has a band for od. the 200 has a separate clutch pack for 4th. i have used them since 90 and have never had a failure except one that was streetraced for 4 years. it is a stronger box than the 700. when the sprag goes [ and it will] in a 700 it destroys the case and all. gm trucks had nothing but trans problems with the 700. i just prefer the 200. 1 hot wire for lock up and thats it. you can even run without the lock up. plus it takes less room.

BFS57

Hello;
Glad you defined the difference between the two transmissions! Believe me, looking at a dis-assembled transmission for me is like trying to  speak Martian! Lucky for me, I have a good friend of mine that really does know automatic transmissions. I'll ask him what he thinks about the difference of the two. As far as having my driveshaft shortened, I just got a new one not too long ago!
I read and understand some of what the transmission builders can do to the 700r4 including new and updated "items" to rebuild this trans! I don't race the car, I don't have a high horse power motor, it's just a cruiser which I display it's power from time to time, I just want reliability and lasting durability from the transmission I get! I don't mind paying for this, I just want my money's worth!
Bruce