Quick wiring question

Started by blown240, February 01, 2006, 02:08:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blown240

I know that I dont have to use a relay for the power to the coil.  But if I do, will it hurt anything.  Wouldnt it just act like the ignition switch?

47convert

What possible reason would you have for wanting a relay in the application?

enjenjo

At most a coil draws about 10 amps. It's not really worth a relay, unless it's for theft protection.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

donsrods

47convert is absolutley correct in his question...........there IS no possible reason to add a relay to that circuit.

Everybody has their own reasons for doing things a certain way, but I really think you are overthinking and overengineering this wiring layout. WIring has been done a certain way for so many years for many reasons. By adding all these relays you are just adding so many more potential trouble spots to your system. Relays crap out, then you have to start troubleshooting where the problem is. With a simple wire direct hookup, it is easy to find a problem, if it ever develops.

If you are doing all of this for theft protection, just add a good qualitly alarm. It will have built in anti-start functions etc. and work better than a simple hidden switch. A good thief will bypass any switches in about 5 seconds.

Like I said, I don't like to question someone elses motives, but you are making this way harder than it needs to be. Every wire you add is one more spot that will possibly bite you in the future.

Just my 2 cents.

WZ JUNK

A simple good anti theft device is to pull the fuse for the coil.
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

sirstude

I used a relay for my coil on the Impala because I put in an Accel electronic distributor that needed 12 volts.  I used the ballast wire to trigger the relay (they don't care if it is only 9 volts) and then pulled 12 volts from the battery to the other side of the relay to power the ignition.

Seems to work ok, except when I first put it in, I used a light kit to get the relay and it had a 1 amp fuse, not enough to run the setup and I didn't notice that it was only 1 amp.  It quit when I was crossing the highway of course.

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

blown240

I appreciate all the replies.  I understand what you are all saying.  

But, lets assume that the ignition switch can only take 5 amps, Then I would need relays.   I know its best to K.I.S.S. but I have alot going on electrically and I want my kill switches to be a certian type.  They can only take 5 amps, thats why I asked these questions.

A good thief can get past an alarm shockingly easy.  I feel that when I am done, it will be difficult enough to get my car to start, that they may not wan't to take the time to figure it out.

I think that you will see, once I am arround for a while, that I do things differently.  They usually work.  When they don't, I usually have to get stiches.   :shock:

enjenjo

When you get your car done, I'll start it in 30 seconds or less, no key.  :lol:

phat46

Quote from: "enjenjo"When you get your car done, I'll start it in 30 seconds or less, no key.  :lol:

Hey Frank, i'll take you up on that, but you'll have to wait till I have one of those times when I've been trying to start the car for two days without sucess... :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

enjenjo

I have a secret weapon, but it only works on cars with a distributor. If it has CCCI it won't work. But If it has a distributor, it will start. No matter what antitheft you have on it.

blown240

enjenjo

Quote from: "blown240"whats a CCCI?

Computer Controlled Coil Ignition.