New Member to say hello!

Started by Rex Schimmer, January 31, 2006, 04:49:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rex Schimmer

I was intro to this form by Sum from Utah, he and I are friends from Bonneville. Anyway I am building a 28/29 roadster pickup in lakes style. I am using steel panels from Brookfield and a set of 32 rails. I have narrowed the grill 5 inches, and the cowel 3 inches, and pinched the frame to 18 inches in the front, cut the back off and built a special crossmember to mount a T spring. The rear end is a Hildabrand early V8 quick change, somewhat rare is that it is mag and not aluminum. I have modified the axle housings to use Coleman Racing full floating hubs and it has Wilwood disc brakes all around.  Now don't kick me off the form for the next part but the engine is a Ford Zetec from a Focus. Four cylinder, 121 cu. inches, 4 valve, DOHC. I built a header and have TWM four port injectors, should make about 160hp but I don't think the car will weigh 1500 so it should be quick. The trans is a Borg Warner T5 from a 88 T Bird, so its got the good low gear. Aluminum bomber seats and the interior is aluminum paneled. I have either modified or built everything myself, hope to be on the road this summer and plan to drive it to B'ville in August. (I hope!) If I can figure out how to put pictures on the site I show some of the construction pics.[/img]

GPster

Welcome. Everything sounds cool but one thing. Bob K has a fixation about magnesium and fires at the wide spot  at Bonneville. But now I've started to second guess myself. Maybe it's some other M metal. Like to see a picture. Sounds like a "Wedgie" GPster

Charlie Chops 1940

Pictures! We demand pictures!

Resize them to 500 X 375 and you can post them direct from your computer. Here's one of mine.

Any friend of Sum's is jake with the rest of us. Welcome home.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

enjenjo

Welcome. I'm told the Ztec has a lot of potential
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

1FATGMC

Hey Rex, glad you decided to join up.  You will like these guys and like I said you have meet some of them in Hooley's pits last year.  Watch out for the ones that don't use their real names :wink: .

I had the above picture posted on one of my web pages and wanted the guys to see what you have been doing, but be sure to post more pictures as soon as you get a chance.  Guys look at the workmanship that has gone into this car :!:  :!: .  Pretty impressive and after he is done with it he is going to build a lakester :D .

c ya, Sum

Three more pictures.  I love the back!!

Rex Schimmer

Sum, thanks for posting some pics, I have resized some to the 500x375 and hope this works. Frame is back from powder coater and suspension parts are there now. Working on aluminum interior. Finally assembly to start soon.

Rex

GPster

Quote from: "Rex Schimmer"I have resized some to the 500x375 and hope this works. Rex
I'd like to see a picture from front to back looking down so we can see the effect of the narrowing you've done. Is the cab wide enough to hold two people (Sumner's thin)? One of the guys here was building one but he was not narrowing his. I think he was going to use two more cylinders to haul the extra weight around. GPster

Rex Schimmer

GPster,
I'll take a pic from above once I get the body back on the frame, but I have put the seats in and done a couple of "day dream" cruises and it is not bad. I lengthen the back of the body about 6 inches at the top so the length is pretty good and I didn't narrow the rear so it should take a couple of fair sized guys. I am about 6 ft and 250 and it feels like I have plenty of room. It has plenty of leg room. The pedals are going to be a little tight and since I made them I have made the clutch pedal pretty narrow and the brake pedal wider but I don't have the throttle pedal done yet. I am using a Tilton master cylinder set that I bought from a race car guy so I have a seperate master cylinder for both the front brakes and the rear brakes and an adjustable "bias bar" to adjust the brake balance. The clutch is also hydraulic but because there wasn't enough room for the pedals to mount in front, I cut the clutch master cylinder off the Tilton frame and welded it to the other side and then turned the whole thing upside down and mounted it below the drivers seat! My pedals are then connected by some links that I made out of some 3/4 tubing and Heim joints. The seats tilt forward and I can get at the master cylinders the battery and the electric fuel pump through a little hatch that Ihave made under the drivers seat. It actually turned out kind of neat.

Time and money, that's all it takes, and plenty of both!

Rex

parklane

Welcome Rex..............I'm sure you'll enjoy it here!

John :)
If a blind person wears sunglasses, why doesn\'t a deaf person wear earmuffs??

donsrods

Really nice workmanship on the car. It's nice to see all the work and thought you've put into all the bracketry and all. It's those little touches that car guys appreciate.

Welcome.

moparrodder

Hi Rex, and WELCOME!!!!   Boy that sure is gonna be one sweet ride!!!  I love them big ole eyes on the front  8) !!  It looks like it's going together nicely, keep us posted!!  Bill

purplepickup

Great little truck Rex  8)    I'm looking forward to seeing it at Bonneville this year.

Welcome to the RRT. :D
George

Crosley.In.AZ

neat ride.

the little motors....... Z-tec from  Ford and Eco-tec from GM look like a fun deal to me

8)
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Charlie Chops 1940

Very, very nice Rex. Lotsa home made - like that sort of thing.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

Ohio Blue Tip

Nice ride Rex, any fried of Sum's is good with the Michigan bunch.
se ya at Bonniville.
Some people try to turn back their odometers
Not me, I want people to know "why" I look this way.
I\'ve traveled a long way and some of the
roads weren\'t paved.

Ken