Source for 8" Ford Axles

Started by flamefink, January 31, 2006, 11:14:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

flamefink

I've been tossing the idea around in my head for some time and with the knowlegable guys on here I thought this to be the best place to ask about this.

My Scenario:
I'm running a 8" Ford rearend out of of a mid 70's Maverick under my Model A. The width its absolutely perfect for a full fendered car and to full fender it is my intent. In my search for wheels for the car I had a hard time finding something I liked in the catalogs and such. I sided with a set of original American Racing 200S I found at a swap meet. This is where the problem comes in, they are 4.75" pattern. I've been running wheel adapters for a little over a year now and I still don't trust them. Not only do I not trust them, they add 2" to the overall width of the rear end... making my tires hang out 1" on each side.

I'm looking for the best company to go to, to buy a new set of axles drilled for the 4.75" pattern. Of course I'm on a tight budget so cost is a factor in my decision. I had a local guy who builds race cars suggest that I just have my originals redrilled, but to my disappointment my axles have an access hole in the flange to get to the retaining bolts right where one of the studs needs to be... making the redrilling impossible.

Before anyone suggests it... I did look into the new reproductions of the American Racing 200S and I don't like the finish on them... and not to mention my wallet screamed when it saw the price. One new wheel cost more than I paid for my full set... Yikes!

Brett
Do you need a tetanus shot to ride in that thing?

enjenjo

Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

sirstude

On my Olds, with a 9" Ford rear, we welded the access hole closed, then turned the face and back flat again.  Then just drilled them Chevy.

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

Leon

Quote from: "sirstude"On my Olds, with a 9" Ford rear, we welded the access hole closed, then turned the face and back flat again.  Then just drilled them Chevy.

Doug
If there's nothing wrong with your axles, the welding/redrilling is a very easy way to go.  To gain easy access to the backing bolts, just drill out one of the old 4.5 holes for a socket.

Charlie Chops 1940

What they said. Moser for new axles. Consider having 2 bolt circles put in them.

Or redrill.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

flamefink

Ok, so one last question thats kind of against the grain and then I'll let this post die...

Has anyone had any experience with purchasing axles from Strange? I know it seems that the collective preference is leaning toward Moser, but after comparing prices, Strange is a little more cost effective. I don't mean to dwell on price, but that nagging budget seems to never go away.

The redrilling sounds really tempting, but I'll have more to put up with than just a nagging budget if I screw it up.

tomslik

Quote from: "flamefink"I've been tossing the idea around in my head for some time and with the knowlegable guys on here I thought this to be the best place to ask about this.

My Scenario:
I'm running a 8" Ford rearend out of of a mid 70's Maverick under my Model A. The width its absolutely perfect for a full fendered car and to full fender it is my intent. In my search for wheels for the car I had a hard time finding something I liked in the catalogs and such. I sided with a set of original American Racing 200S I found at a swap meet. This is where the problem comes in, they are 4.75" pattern. I've been running wheel adapters for a little over a year now and I still don't trust them. Not only do I not trust them, they add 2" to the overall width of the rear end... making my tires hang out 1" on each side.

I'm looking for the best company to go to, to buy a new set of axles drilled for the 4.75" pattern. Of course I'm on a tight budget so cost is a factor in my decision. I had a local guy who builds race cars suggest that I just have my originals redrilled, but to my disappointment my axles have an access hole in the flange to get to the retaining bolts right where one of the studs needs to be... making the redrilling impossible.

Before anyone suggests it... I did look into the new reproductions of the American Racing 200S and I don't like the finish on them... and not to mention my wallet screamed when it saw the price. One new wheel cost more than I paid for my full set... Yikes!

Brett

i'm running welded and drilled flanges in my 9"
uhhh, drill the drums,too
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

enjenjo

QuoteHas anyone had any experience with purchasing axles from Strange?

Strange is fine too. Or Currie. Where ever you get the best deal.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Bib_Overalls

Moser offers a lug, bearing option that is hard to beat.  When I got my axles the tab was $300 for two plus $80 for the lugs retaining plates, and pressed on bearing.  Could not get it done (parts/labor) around here for that.

And don't forget to factor in shipping.  Moser is a lot closer to Ohio than some of the other sources.
An Old California Rodder
Hiding Out In The Ozarks

flamefink

Quote from: "Bib_Overalls"Moser offers a lug, bearing option that is hard to beat.  When I got my axles the tab was $300 for two plus $80 for the lugs retaining plates, and pressed on bearing.  Could not get it done (parts/labor) around here for that.

And don't forget to factor in shipping.  Moser is a lot closer to Ohio than some of the other sources.

I was kind of taking all of this into consideration and if you're price you've listed is what I can get them for too then thats about what I was quoted when I called Strange. In the Strange catalog I ordered and also what I was told on the phone, their price is listed at $369 for axles with bearings installed and another $10 for the retaining plates.

According to Moser's website their catalog price is $315 a pair and another $100 for bearings and retaining plates.

Lastly, I just looked into Currie's prices on their website and they have a package that comes with bearings installed and 1/4" thick retaining plates with bolt circle of choice and studs for $399.95.

I guess they're all within $10 - $20 of each other. Now I guess it's just a matter of deciding wich one to go with.

kb426

I personally think Strange's quality is better than Moser or Currie. There's lots of things about axles that not everybody knows or cares about. The only thing that gets a street axle in trouble over is if the heat treat is too hard and you put sideways pressure on the flange and it snaps off. Such as hitting a curb while turning doughnuts.  :lol:
TEAM SMART

tomslik

The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list