Making some progress on the Lakester...

Started by 1FATGMC, January 28, 2006, 05:13:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1FATGMC

I know it isn't a street rod, but I'm starting to get to the point where it looks like something.  I'll let you figure out what 8) .  Hope to have the rear frame done in the next 2 weeks and then on to the front axle and suspension up there.  I was hoping it would be simple, but it is looking like it will be more complex than the back due to the limited space.  At least there are no drive loads to figure in up there.

There is more ( HERE ).

c ya, Sum

donsrods

What a cool undertaking. It is really nice to be able to see all the steps and work you have put into this car.  I'll bet you really can't wait until you take that first ride.

What involvement do the sanctioning bodies have as you build the car?  Do you have to get various stages approved, or do you just show up at the salt and hope you meet all the rules and regulations?  What speed are you hoping to turn, and what is the current record in that class?

Thanks for sharing all the pictures with us, my hat is off to you for doing something this huge.

Don

1FATGMC

Quote from: "donsrods"What a cool undertaking. It is really nice to be able to see all the steps and work you have put into this car.  I'll bet you really can't wait until you take that first ride.

What involvement do the sanctioning bodies have as you build the car?  Do you have to get various stages approved, or do you just show up at the salt and hope you meet all the rules and regulations?  What speed are you hoping to turn, and what is the current record in that class?

Thanks for sharing all the pictures with us, my hat is off to you for doing something this huge.

Don

Thanks for the support.  

First you get a rule book and it has most of the requirements in it.  I mocked the cage area up out wood and e-mailed the pictures to the tech guy for lakesters and streamliners.  He approved it and then I made it out of steel.  They have minimum size requirements for this part of the car.  Still when it gets inspected in real life on the salt they could tell me they aren't happy with it and not let me compete.

The rest of the car is up to you to design and the rule book says "the frame design is subject to the approval of the contest board and must be of sufficient strength to resist flex or twist.  The burden of proof of the strength of the frame design lies with the entrant".   This leaves you to worry about getting it passed.   The first time they inspect the car they will be the most critical.  You have a log book that goes with the car and they can make notes in it for future inspections and the car and safety gear has to go through inspection at b'ville every year.

They are very strict about safety gear (fire suits, belts, helmets, fire extinguishers, parachutes, etc.) and some of these requirements have to do with anticipated speeds.  No chute required under 175, two chutes required above 300 mph.  These speeds are not what you think you will run, but are based on the actual record speeds in the class you will run in.

I'll start in un-blown gas and my class will be "J" which is 1/2 liter to 3/4 liter (500 cc to 750 cc).  The record is 163 now so I don't have to have a chute to begin with.  If I was to break the record and run over 175 then I would have to have a chute to continue to participate.  Next I would like to put a turbo on the motor and then I would be Blown gas [J/BGL -- J (750cc), BG (blown gas), L (lakester].  The record there is about 190.  Now and this is a big if, if I could break that record and also go faster than 200 mph I would get into what they call the 2 Club.  To get into the 2 Club you have to break a record at over 200 mph.

I want to run faster than 200.  If I'm not successful with this motor (blown) then I could bolt in a 1000cc and move to the I Class or put in an 1300cc Hayabusa and move to the H Class.  The record for H/BGL is 198 mph, so that record is pretty soft as it is only about 10 mph faster than the J/BGL.  That doesn't necessarily mean it would be easy to get, but it isn't that hard to build a 400 to 600 hp blown Hayabusa motor.  Rick is running over 330 mph with one in a streamliner.

Of course then you can also run fuel and that puts you in still two other classes depending on if it is Blown Fuel or Un-Blown Fuel.

Probably more than you wanted to know,

Sum

Charlie Chops 1940

Nice to see it turning to steel Sum. It'll be interesting to say the least. Looking forward to being there when you take your shot.

Good job.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

purplepickup

I'm glad you're posting these updates because every time you do I realize there are more updates on your website that I've forgot to check.  

You're right, it's really starting to look like something and your abilities always amaze me.  That's a neat rear suspension.  The wood mockup of everything looks like it's working out real nice.

600 hp Hayabusa, eh?  :shock:  You better put a little bigger chain on it.
George

1FATGMC

Quote from: "purplepickup"I'm glad you're posting these updates because every time you do I realize there are more updates on your website that I've forgot to check.  

You're right, it's really starting to look like something and your abilities always amaze me.  That's a neat rear suspension.  The wood mockup of everything looks like it's working out real nice.

600 hp Hayabusa, eh?  :shock:  You better put a little bigger chain on it.

Thanks George, actually it has a 'busa sprocket and chain on it now.  I found out that the 'busa counter-shaft sprockets have the same spline as the 750 GSX-R and bought those along with the 530 chain.  Only problem is now Rick has gone to a dual chain drive  :cry: .  I think I'm a long ways from needing that though  :wink: .

How is the teardrop coming along?  Still producing bikes?  Send me some links or post them on here for the motors you have found.

c ya, Sum

donsrods

Probably more than you wanted to know,

Absolutely not!  In fact this is fascinating. You evidently live near the Bonneville Salt Flats?  (I'm terrible in Geography........I was reading little book Hot Rod magazines during class)  SO I guess the closeness to the salt is what got you turned on to it?

What time period of the year do they run there? For how long? In two years I plan to retire, and want to travel, so this place would be something I want to see.

Finally, what will the body be made of, and what do you expect the whole car to weigh?

Thanks for the info............great stuff.

Don

parklane

Lookin real good there Sum. You sure do nice work!!

John   :)
If a blind person wears sunglasses, why doesn\'t a deaf person wear earmuffs??

1FATGMC

Quote from: "donsrods"You evidently live near the Bonneville Salt Flats?  (I'm terrible in Geography........I was reading little book Hot Rod magazines during class)  SO I guess the closeness to the salt is what got you turned on to it?

Well I'm in the same state as b'ville, but 440 miles from it.  I'm down in the SE corner and the salt is right on the Nevada border on the west side of the state.  I got turned on to it reading those little books also.  I lived for years in Wyoming without going and wasn't much further away than I am now.  When I moved to Utah I said I have to go now and did :D .

Quote from: "donsrods"What time period of the year do they run there? For how long? In two years I plan to retire, and want to travel, so this place would be something I want to see. Don

Speed Week is usually about the middle of August.  I think it starts on the 13th this year.  Racing starts around noon on Sat. and goes to the next Friday.  I've never stayed the whole week, but might if I have a car that doesn't blow-up.  They also have about a 4 day meet in Sept. and in Oct..  Of course all of this depends on the weather.  Last year no Sept. or Oct. meet :cry: .  If you go in August and need a room and want to be there over the first weekend the rooms are expensive and you need to book at least 6 months in advance.  From Sunday night on rooms are cheaper and easier to find.  Of course if you get there Monday you miss a lot of the non-racing activities that go on Friday and Sat. nights.  If you book a room only do it for Friday and Sat. so they don't get you for the high rates for your whole stay.  They re-book Sunday at the lower rates.

It is fun and you will like it.  A number of the guys and gals come by my place a day or so early and we see the sights here and then go up together on Thursday.  You are welcome :D .

Quote from: "donsrods"Finally, what will the body be made of, and what do you expect the whole car to weigh? Don

At first the body will be steel, aluminun, fiberglass, and lots of bondo held together any way I can to get it into the shape I want.  If it works I'll probably then use that body to make a fiberglass mold and end up eventually with the whole body fiberglass.

I don't know about the weight.  I'm guessing between 1200 and 1400 lbs., but that is strictly a guess.  Hope to have a better guess late this spring.

c ya, Sum

av8

Good progress, Sum. The 'liner just gets better and better looking at each step, a very sophisticated racecar.

I do hope you're considering a book about the project. There's a lesson here, not only a gearhead how-to about building a LSR racer, but also a life lesson about meeting and dealing with complex challenges, a step at a time.

Mike

sirstude

Sum,

I don't know how you get it all done.  Not just the liner, but all the web posting and over a phone line to boot.  

For those of you who are interested in Bonneville, Sum posts a lot over on the landracing.com board, and there is a lot of good info there on land speed racing.  I lurk there a lot, just have nothing to post that is of any use to those guys.

I know I am going to be at Bonneville this summer for 4 days, not like the banzai run I made 2 years ago.

WARNING, if you go to Bonneville, you will be hooked for life!!!!!

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

1FATGMC

Quote from: "sirstude"Sum,

I don't know how you get it all done.  Not just the liner, but all the web posting and over a phone line to boot.  

For those of you who are interested in Bonneville, Sum posts a lot over on the landracing.com board, and there is a lot of good info there on land speed racing.  I lurk there a lot, just have nothing to post that is of any use to those guys.

I know I am going to be at Bonneville this summer for 4 days, not like the banzai run I made 2 years ago.

WARNING, if you go to Bonneville, you will be hooked for life!!!!!
Doug

And my wife makes me work in the store too :wink: .  Actually I get most of the internet posting done at the store waiting for the occasional customer to come in :cry: , when I probably should be working.

You are right about being hooked once you go.  I first went in '91 and have been back about every year that wasn't rained out.  Glad you are going to make it back this year, it will be good seeing you again :D .

Quote from: "av8"I do hope you're considering a book about the project. There's a lesson here, not only a gearhead how-to about building a LSR racer, but also a life lesson about meeting and dealing with complex challenges, a step at a time. Mike

Maybe along the lines of the ZEN and the ART OF LANDSPEED RACING.  I think not.  I can fill in the blanks under some pictures, but I think that is about the ability of my writing skills.   Now I do know this guy that is a writer, who frequents this board, and is building a truck to run on the salt that could be my ghost writer :wink:  

Anyway thanks for the vote of confidence :D ,

Sum

flt-blk

Thanks for posting updates.  I enjoy trolling through all the pictures and descriptions.

It took me quite awhile to figure out your spring setup, even with the
pictures.

I went to B'ville two years ago, I am planning on going again this year.
Philosophy of hot rods
The welder is the Yin and the Grinder is the Yang

1FATGMC

Quote from: "flt-blk"Thanks for posting updates.  I enjoy trolling through all the pictures and descriptions.

It took me quite awhile to figure out your spring setup, even with the
pictures.

I went to B'ville two years ago, I am planning on going again this year.

It took me a few nights laying in bed to figure the spring setup out myself :D .

If you are in Texas why not come by Blanding with a bunch of the others on the way to b'ville and go with us.  Benny is from SE Texas and he is coming (I hope) along with others from OK and MO and further back east.  Blanding is right on the way for you.  Some of the guys will get in here from Sunday to Tuesday night before Speed Week and then we all go out to see the local scenery and Anasazi Ruins on Wed. and drive up together on Thursday.  Hope you can join in.

c ya, Sum

Ohio Blue Tip

Lakester is looking good, hope to try it on for driver fit in Aug.
Life is good, first month of retirement has gone buy!
Some people try to turn back their odometers
Not me, I want people to know "why" I look this way.
I\'ve traveled a long way and some of the
roads weren\'t paved.

Ken