Body to frame bolts

Started by Okiedokie, January 25, 2006, 03:36:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Okiedokie

I am approaching the mount the body back to the frame step with me 40 Ford coupe.  Before I do I need to install the two most rearward bolts into the rear crossmember because I have a Weedeter trailer hitch that sets in that crossmember. The bolts will be pointing up, and wedged in place by the hitch member. I have a Drake "37 - 40 bdy to frame bolt kit, but it comes with no info as to placement of the various fasteners.  I need to know which ones are the proper length for these mounts at the rear. Drakes most knowledgable [ or not ] sales people were of no help. Anyone know where I might seek this info? If need be, I will use bolts too long and cut them off after body installation. I would rather know which are the correct ones, along with the rest of them. Joe

enjenjo

I don't have an answer Joe, but I would suggest calculating it from the thickness of the frame, thickness of the mount, and thickness of the body, than add about 1/4" length.

Another possibility is putting a Rivnut, or captive nut in the frame, with a stud in it, and the cut it to length when the body is on.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Okiedokie

Thanks, calculate is the most likely avenue. I just found it strange that Drake would have a bolt kit, with several different sizes, and not be able to say where they fit.---Just this AM saw the "snack fairy" commercial. Good one. Joe

enjenjo

Bob Drake himself probably knows. :lol:

"Walk it off, Snack Fairy" That was too good a line not to use.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.