Your R&P suggestion Gentlemen.

Started by Ornberg, January 24, 2006, 02:00:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ornberg

I have some thoughts about mounting Rack & pinion on my –41 Buick.
It has the original IFS, no clip. Just to achieve power steering and headers space. Maybe I go for a clip in the future but not right now. A friend came up with the idea of using a Opel Vectra, calibra rack. It's a center steering model similar to a Cavalier. What are your thoughts about this? How to avoid bump steer?  There are some bump steers right now from the factory in my ol Buick :( . Are there any guidelines to this kind of setup?  I don't know how familiar you are to the Buick front suspension but here is a couple of pics http://web.telia.com/~u47704801/framvagn.htm

And here's a photo of the Opel rack. Sorry, measurements only in mm. (1"= 25.4 mm.)

enjenjo

The Opel rack looks like it will work. You should make a bracket that bolts to the rack, that will keep the tie rods about the same length, and in the same position as stock. The Vectra is a fairly big car, correct?

As I recall, the tie rods are nearly on line with the lower control arms. So with the wheels straight, the inner tie rod ends should be on a line drawn through the inner lower control arm pivot points, which would put the about 6 to 10 inches apart.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Ornberg

Frank
The Vectra is a medium size car and very common on scrap yards over here for a low coast. And yes, the inner lower control arm pivot points are about 5.5" apart.  And I assume that the rack should sit parallel with the lower control arm in ride height.

Per

enjenjo

The tie rods should be parallel with the control arm, that will determine the rack position, as far as mounting height.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

parklane

That rack looks just like the Cavalier rack that's going into my 56 Ford wagon. My rack has a total of 6 1/8" (155.57mm) travel. I located the rack so that the plate that bolted to the rack, and welded to the drag link, kept the drag link in the same position as with the steering box - idler arm. Hope this helps some, and is not too confusing.

John :)
If a blind person wears sunglasses, why doesn\'t a deaf person wear earmuffs??

sirstude

John,

After you put the rack in, I guess you removed the idler arm, correct?  Obviously you removed the steering box.  Is this setup for a front or rear steer car?  

Thanks
Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

Ornberg

QuoteThat rack looks just like the Cavalier rack that's going into my 56 Ford wagon. My rack has a total of 6 1/8" (155.57mm) travel. I located the rack so that the plate that bolted to the rack, and welded to the drag link, kept the drag link in the same position as with the steering box - idler arm. Hope this helps some, and is not too confusing.

John,
Did you have any photos at your rack setup?

Per

Ornberg

Hello Doug.
I would like to consult you again about air suspension when I finally get my stuff if it's ok with you. I have never deal with this before and needs some advice :D

Per

sirstude

1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

parklane

Hey guys......Yes, you remove the idler arm and the steering box. On my Ford, there is only about 10 - 12" on the drag link between where the places where the inner tie rod ends are hooked up, and this area is right in the center (between the frame rails). I made a couple of mounts that are secured to the frame rails, that allow the rack to be bolted onto. I then made up a piece of flat stock, with holes that match up to the holes in the rack, and bent it so the other end made contact with the drag link. Tis was all done with the drag link secured in its normal position. After welding,and making sure everything was checked to be in the right place, I cut the drag link a couple of inches outside of where the inner tie rods connect to it. If you look at www.yblocksforever.com and look under tech articles, it shows some pics. Yes doug, it is a rear steer.

John :)
If a blind person wears sunglasses, why doesn\'t a deaf person wear earmuffs??