EGR valve

Started by sedanman, January 24, 2006, 09:07:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sedanman

I have a 305 out of an 86 camaro that I am using in my 36 Chevy for now. The doner car was a partial computer car. It is a carburator engine with an egr valve. I have changed everything to make it a non computer engine. My question is the EGR valve. Can I fab a block off plate for the intake? Will the engine run correct if I do? Do I need to just toss the intake and use a pre EGR intake? I have an old offy intake on a 1966 327 that I plan to build for the 36 later on. Can I use that intake on the 86 engine if I have too? :?

Sedanman

58 Yeoman

My Caddy 425 had an egr valve, and I made a plate to block it off.  I haven't had the car on the road yet, but it seems to run fine in the garage.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

enjenjo

It should be no problem. I have been running my truck with a blockoff plate over the EGR port for some time.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

rooster

Quote from: "sedanman"I have a 305 out of an 86 camaro that I am using in my 36 Chevy for now. The doner car was a partial computer car. It is a carburator engine with an egr valve. I have changed everything to make it a non computer engine.

Sedanman

Son has the same engine! What needed to be changed on engine, besides dizzy?

sedanman

Quote from: "rooster"
Quote from: "sedanman"I have a 305 out of an 86 camaro that I am using in my 36 Chevy for now. The doner car was a partial computer car. It is a carburator engine with an egr valve. I have changed everything to make it a non computer engine.

Sedanman

Son has the same engine! What needed to be changed on engine, besides dizzy?[/quote.

Wireing harness, elimination of oxygen senser. cat. cat senser, carb has to changed to a non computer carb, I also changed to short water pump and v belt pullys from partial serpentine system. I changed alternater bracket and power steering brackets for location purpose for narrow front grill shell. Added headers and as you said the dizzy.
:)
Sedanman

38racing

I have the gm manual for the 86 olds cutlass that ran the 305. It says ,"too little or no EGR flow allows combustion temperatures to get too high during acceleration and load conditions. This could cause -spark knock (detonation)-engine overheating- emission test failure.
I actually have an 83 and 86 3.8 v6 but they are canadian cars so they do not have the computer. The EGR valve is controlled by carburator vacuum through a TV switch to prevent cold operation of  EGR. My son had a 86 regal with 305 and it was same. You could consider getting the EGR valve for this version of the 305 . You would also need the TV switch. If you are interested I could send you info from the canadian manual on the 305 egr setup.

rooster

Quote from: "sedanman"
Quote from: "rooster"

Sedanman

Son has the same engine! What needed to be changed on engine, besides dizzy?[/quote.

Wireing harness, elimination of oxygen senser. cat. cat senser, carb has to changed to a non computer carb, I also changed to short water pump and v belt pullys from partial serpentine system. I changed alternater bracket and power steering brackets for location purpose for narrow front grill shell. Added headers and as you said the dizzy.
:)
Sedanman

CORRECTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!
My son has a engine out of a 86 305 pickup.  It looks like a regular carb, cant egr just be capped off, and run it. With different dizzy?
Dont know what we are going to do with the rest yet, belts, pump,ect!

enjenjo

Unless it's been changed, that 86 engine should have a feed back Quadrajet on it. There is a plug that connects it to the computer, I believe on the back of the carb. If you change to a non feed back carb, and a vacuum advance distrubutor, you can get rid of the EGR.

GPster

Quote from: "sedanman"Can I use that intake on the 86 engine if I have too? :? Sedanman
Foot in Mouth time. I think by the newness of that 305 that it might be one of the ones that have the manifold bolts that are at a differant angle. I think it would reguire "rat tail" filing and wedge-shaped washers to use the early manifold on later heads and it might not be a step that you can go back to original from. One time I saw something about drilling and tapping one of the EGR passages and plugging it and then putting a plate over the plug. That might lessen the concern about exhaust gas heating the manifold. But if you feel the need to go with an earlier manifold I'd find another one to butcher and I'd use a carb similar to what the other engine would have so you only have to design gas linkage and kick down linkage once. GPster

enjenjo

Actually Joe that is the last year for the old bolt pattern, they changed it the next year.

1FATGMC

Quote from: "enjenjo"Unless it's been changed, that 86 engine should have a feed back Quadrajet on it. There is a plug that connects it to the computer, I believe on the back of the carb. If you change to a non feed back carb, and a vacuum advance distrubutor, you can get rid of the EGR.

If it is the computer feed-back Q-jet I might be interested in it.  Let me know what you would want for it.

I want to EFI (megasquirt) my pickup some day and you can use that carb as a throttle body and it has the TPS built into it.  You still have to set-up the manifold for the injectors thought.  Probably easier and cheaper to use something else though.

c ya, Sum

rooster

We dont know much about the history of the truck this engine came out of, it may have been swaped at some time earler. Cant see any ele connection on carb that gos to computer harness, but then again I dont know what im looking at, The angle of the bolts do appear to be different. heres some pictures.

1FATGMC

Quote from: "rooster"We dont know much about the history of the truck this engine came out of, it may have been swaped at some time earler. Cant see any ele connection on carb that gos to computer harness, but then again I dont know what im looking at, The angle of the bolts do appear to be different. heres some pictures.

The other picture you posted doesn't look like a feed-back carb to me.  The TPS and elect. should be at the left front.

c ya,  Sum

sedanman

I switched the carb and intake both on mine. A friend of mine had the intake and non computer carb but was not sure what it came off of. The one I had I think had at least two electrical plugs that tied to the wiring harness. The one I traded for has a EGR valve but the carb in non-computer. Could this be the Canadian set up I now have? What is meant by TV cable. I have a TV cable on my trans, its a700r4 from the same donor car. I have already bought and installed the painless shift kit to allow it to shift to overdrive.

Vic... :?

1FATGMC

Quote from: "sedanman"I switched the carb and intake both on mine. A friend of mine had the intake and non computer carb but was not sure what it came off of. The one I had I think had at least two electrical plugs that tied to the wiring harness. The one I traded for has a EGR valve but the carb in non-computer. Could this be the Canadian set up I now have? What is meant by TV cable. I have a TV cable on my trans, its a700r4 from the same donor car. I have already bought and installed the painless shift kit to allow it to shift to overdrive.

Vic... :?

The painless kit probably only locks the converter up when it is in 4th, but I don't know for sure what you bought.

The TV cable MUST BE HOOKED UP and hooked up properly.  I have the information on my site.  Click on 1FATGMC below and go to the 700R4 tech stuff.  If you don't understand something then post back.

If it is not hooked up correctly with the right geometry on the carb you will quickly destroy the transmission most likely :cry: .  It is not just a kick-down cable.

c ya, Sum