Detroit Auto Show / Challenger Concept Car

Started by 40, January 23, 2006, 03:38:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HotRodLadyCrusr

I've only purchased one new car in my life and that was a T-Bird in 1990.  Big Olds is almost complete as far as sinking money into him and it's about time for a "new" daily driver for me.  My Lincoln Town Car is on his last legs.  Probley looking to buy late spring, early summer.  The new cars have me intrigued looks wise, soon I'll see how they drive.
Your topless crusn buddy, Denise

Looking for old good for nothing flathead heads to use for garden project.

rumrumm

I saw an artist's concept of what a new Camaro should look like, and I like  it a lot better than the actual concept car. See the attached images.
Lynn
'32 3W

I write novels, too. https://lsjohanson.com

rumrumm

Lynn
'32 3W

rumrumm

Lynn
'32 3W

Still looks too much like a Corvette but you're right......It IS a big improvement over what GM has on the drawing board!
"The one who dies with the most friends wins"

phat46

The Ford Focus, and Chevy Cobalt are in the price range, but are not really marketed as performance cars. I guess I am looking for something they can't provide any more.[/quote]

Not even the 205 h.p. Colbalt SS? looks like it would be fun to drive, and i know you could get more boost out of the blower... :lol:

av8

Respecting that all of the comments here address retros and reinvigorated contemporaries, of which the Mustang appears to be very strong and well placed, Pontiac appears to be on a smart track with the Solstice. It has strong appeal to the youth market, world-car styling, excellent performance potential, and -- best of all -- is super affordable at $20K.  

Pontiac has designed a hardtop for the Solstice (required to qualify it for SCCA-sanctioned racing) and submitted it for approval. Expect to see lots of interesting performance pieces from both GM Performance and the aftermarket in the months ahead.

Mikej

The new Hot Rod magazine has the Challenger and the Camaro on the cover. It also has an article on them.

jaybee

Detroit can buy some time by playing "we have muscle car heritage and you don't", but ultimately it won't save them.  For years they thought they had the truck and SUV market all to themselves, what about now?  Ultimately only one thing will save them.  

Think about all of the sales successes down through the decades.  Model T, 32 Ford, 55 Chevy, a number of Hondas through the years, 84 Taurus, Dodge "this changes everything" Ram, and a lot of others.  Every one of them was just a little better than the competition at a similar price.

This is basic Economics, I've never been able to figure out why the bean counters can't figure it out.  The recent history of the Big 3 is an unending cycle of saving the company so it can be ruined again.  First the cost controllers destroy the reputation of the product through shoddy quality and stagnant product development.  Then they put a car guy in charge, someone who understands that a car should make you feel good behind the wheel without making you feel bad when you make the car payment.  Practically the moment the company is out of intensive care they replace him with an MBA who figures management is management, it doesn't matter if you're making toasters or two-doors.  Product development and quality start to slide, and the cycle begins again.

Why does the general public buy Hondas and Toyotas?  Quite simple.  They know they aren't getting a lemon.  Bill Ford has been talking like he understands that.  We'll see.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

enjenjo

Exactly! you said it better than I did. There is no added value to most of the new domestic cars. If you think of the exciting cars in the last decade or so, people saw an extra value to them. The SSR could have been a big seller, but they dragged the introduction out way too long, and then priced it way too high, so they are setting on the lots unsold.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

butch27

Flipper:  That's the photo all of the Detroit area has been waiting for. She was on TV and said something like they slipped something in my drink.

butch27

Not many girls around here with green hair.

I don't know what it would cost to order the car with that "hood ornament" but I have a pretty good idea what it'd "cost" when the wife saw it :P
"The one who dies with the most friends wins"

Crosley.In.AZ

I've read a few posts on different sites that the posted  photo here  is fake.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)