Fuel cap/neck ideas

Started by Glen, January 16, 2006, 08:27:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glen

You guys are resourceful.  I think you might have some great ideas.

I need a neck/fuel cap for a motorcycle gas tank.  Something cool and old but it has to have a good seal.  Im thinking something outside of the motorcycle/auto world maybe something in the bottling/restaurant/brewery world.

Any ideas?

I want to cut this one off.

enjenjo

No concrete ideas, but I made one out of a gas pump fuel hose coupling for a Sportster chopper back in the 70's The bike made a feature in Street Chopper magazine.

How about a quarter turn cap made from aluminum, flush fit. Kind of like a giant Dzus button, with an O ring seal.

Another thought, a brass fuel cap from a truck fuel tank. Some of the older trucks have one about 2" OD that thread into an internally threaded bung.  Along the same lines, a Model T hub cap.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

chopped

How bout a unit from a boat? Flat, stainless, twist on.

jaybee

I like aircraft fillers with their flush-mounted latches but that would be far too large for your application.

Can't you just fill it with gas before you finish welding it closed?  :)
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

Inprimer

Quote from: "Glen"You guys are resourceful.  I think you might have some great ideas.

I need a neck/fuel cap for a motorcycle gas tank.  Something cool and old but it has to have a good seal.  Im thinking something outside of the motorcycle/auto world maybe something in the bottling/restaurant/brewery world.

Any ideas?

I want to cut this one off.

WWW.West Marine.com  MFG#6961C model 532287 $29.95 maybe this will help

EMSjunkie

Quote from: "Glen"You guys are resourceful.  great ideas.

Something cool and old  

For a minute there, I thought you were talking about Tony.  :shock:  8)

Vance
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****

jaybee

"WWW.WestMarine.com MFG#6961C model 532287"

Hey, that is very trick!

Crosley.In.AZ

Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

jaybee

Hey Glen, what did you decide to do?

Glen

Moon has a tri bar gas tank cap but its really big.  I think I am going to use it.  It would definitely be the centerpiece of the tank and would mean no stripe or graphics on top of the tank.

Thanks for asking.

Glen

Crosley.In.AZ

Could Doug machine up a simular spinner cap in a size you like?

mayb a faux spinner cap on top of a threaded gas cap?
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Glen

Quote from: "Crosley"Could Doug machine up a simular spinner cap in a size you like?

mayb a faux spinner cap on top of a threaded gas cap?

Sure you know Doug, there is nothing he cant make.  I would like to find something with some character.  especially like a brewing companies processing cap or something.  I have plenty of time as you can see by the pics.

jaybee

Hmmm, I never made the connection until this thread, but the "Cool Cap" gas cap from Air Ride Technologies is nothing but a gas filler for a boat...at double the cost!

donsrods

I worked at Boat U/S and West Marine for years. Every day I would find some neat little bracket or fitting that would be perfect for a rod. And they are usually stainless or some other high quality, corrosion resistant  material.

I always use Marine wiring items because in a roadster with no top, stuff that is made for a boat holds up really well.