q about mags....

Started by tomslik, January 13, 2006, 06:08:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomslik

so, we got any tractor jockies on here?
looking at a 9n with a  mag and 6 volt system,anything i ought to be aware of?

well, hell, it's got big and littles..... :roll:
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

Bruce Dorsi

Are you sure it's a 9N with a magneto, and not a 2N?
.....Actually, not much difference, though.  Basically, the 9N and 2N were the same except for a mag instead of a distributor.  .....2N's were produced during the war years, and many were later converted to battery ignition.  

IMHO, unless you can buy it cheaply, you're better off looking for a '50-'52 8N.  ....The 8N's have a much better hydraulic system, and are 4-speeds instead of 3-speed.  ....The clutch & brake pedals are located more logically on an 8N. ....The later 8N's (1950-1952) have a side-mount distributor instead of the front-mount distributor found on 9N's and early ('48-'50) 8N's.

Here, a 9N in average condition will sell for $1200-$1800, without attachments  .....An 8N will be about $1500-$3000.  ....Anything less, is considered a steal around here.

If you do buy the 9N, there is an upgrade available for the hydraulic system, and it's well worth it.  .....If you don't want to keep the magneto, you will have no problem selling it to a restorer!

I've been an N-tractor fan for many years.  ....I have an early 9N, a 1951 8N with backhoe and loader, and a 1953 NAA Golden Jubilee (1st year for OHV).  .....GREAT little tractors!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If being smart means knowing what I am dumb at,  I must be a genius!

tomslik

Quote from: "Bruce Dorsi"Are you sure it's a 9N with a magneto, and not a 2N?

just going by what the owner sez,i'm positive it's not a 8n,though...

i'm thinking i want to change it to 12v anyway....

.....Actually, not much difference, though.  Basically, the 9N and 2N were the same except for a mag instead of a distributor.  .....2N's were produced during the war years, and many were later converted to battery ignition.  

IMHO, unless you can buy it cheaply, you're better off looking for a '50-'52 8N.  ....The 8N's have a much better hydraulic system, and are 4-speeds instead of 3-speed.  ....The clutch & brake pedals are located more logically on an 8N. ....The later 8N's (1950-1952) have a side-mount distributor instead of the front-mount distributor found on 9N's and early ('48-'50) 8N's.

Here, a 9N in average condition will sell for $1200-$1800, without attachments  .....An 8N will be about $1500-$3000.  ....Anything less, is considered a steal around here.

If you do buy the 9N, there is an upgrade available for the hydraulic system, and it's well worth it.  .....If you don't want to keep the magneto, you will have no problem selling it to a restorer!

why wouldn't i want to keep the mag?
do they have problems?

it's got a blade and a cement mixer that goes with it, i'll have to find a rotary mower for it though...

I've been an N-tractor fan for many years.  ....I have an early 9N, a 1951 8N with backhoe and loader, and a 1953 NAA Golden Jubilee (1st year for OHV).  .....GREAT little tractors!

Bruce Dorsi

Quote from: "tomslik"

If the 6v system is up to snuff, they work good.  ....My 8N was converted to 12v before I got it. ....I don't see any real advantage  either way, though a 6-volt starter spins very easily with 12v.

why wouldn't i want to keep the mag?
do they have problems?

If it's working, no it's not a problem.  ....Costly to have rebuilt/repaired if it fails.

it's got a blade and a cement mixer that goes with it, i'll have to find a rotary mower for it though...

The biggest drawback to the N's is that they do not have a live PTO.  .....Every time you step on the clutch, the mower stops.  ....Mowing in an open area is not a problem, but if you're working in a tight area, it's a pita.

You'll also need an over-running clutch for the PTO when you find a mower.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If being smart means knowing what I am dumb at,  I must be a genius!

tomslik

Quote from: "Bruce Dorsi"
Quote from: "tomslik"

If the 6v system is up to snuff, they work good.  ....My 8N was converted to 12v before I got it. ....I don't see any real advantage  either way, though a 6-volt starter spins very easily with 12v.

biggest reason would be lights and a heater(if i build a cab)
it's got a fairly new battery so i'd hate to change it now but in the future....

[
If it's working, no it's not a problem.  ....Costly to have rebuilt/repaired if it fails.
is there a simple replacement available?(if it goes bad)[

The biggest drawback to the N's is that they do not have a live PTO.  .....Every time you step on the clutch, the mower stops.  ....Mowing in an open area is not a problem, but if you're working in a tight area, it's a pita.

You'll also need an over-running clutch for the PTO when you find a mower.

tomslik

"
QuoteYou'll also need an over-running clutch for the PTO when you find a mower"

whyzzat?

GPster

And while you guys are on the subject, I'm thinking I need a grill shell for a tractor. They seem to be quite the thing looking (lurking) at Ole Skool and HAMN sitesbut they're all to narrow. To make a '51 Chevy truck cab look like a track car I'm going to need something about 24" to 26" wide and flat on the back. Widening a "Duece" grill shell (as bad as it was) seems like a sacriledge and Lincoln and Mercedes grills seem like overkill. If I try to drive out in the country while they're plowing I'll forget what I'm doing and run off the road and take out someone's mail box. GPster

rooster

Quote from: "tomslik""

whyzzat?

The spinning blades of a brushhog will continue to push you even though the pushed the clutch in, until they stop! Have to be carful around hills and ditches.

The brakes are not worth a dam on 9n's. There charging system has a cutout instead of a regulater. Maybe you have a 9n with a 8n engine, dizzy would be on the side then. Maybe its a Fergerson. I can say Ive seen a 9n with a mag.

Gpster: sheetmetal for a tractor is sky high. beware! :shock:

Flathead Youngin'

go with the 8n...easier to drive with the clutch on one side and BOTH brakes on the other....

i think the 8n has another gear too....

fastest way to identify an 8n........look at the rear wheel bolt pattern....8n is smaller in diameter and the 9n is MUCH larger....more towards the perimeter.....

kind of like ford's 36 style rims that are wide 5 vs. 40 rims that are just standard 5.5"

Quote from: "tomslik"so, we got any tractor jockies on here?
looking at a 9n with a  mag and 6 volt system,anything i ought to be aware of?

well, hell, it's got big and littles..... :roll:

tomslik

Quote from: "rooster"
Quote from: "tomslik""

whyzzat?

The spinning blades of a brushhog will continue to push you even though the pushed the clutch in, until they stop! Have to be carful around hills and ditches.

The brakes are not worth a dam on 9n's. There charging system has a cutout instead of a regulater. Maybe you have a 9n with a 8n engine, dizzy would be on the side then. Maybe its a Fergerson. I can say Ive seen a 9n with a mag.

Gpster: sheetmetal for a tractor is sky high. beware! :shock:

yeah but i'm looking to use, not restore.
but as it turns out, the tractor went for more than i was willing to bid on it...

oh well, still looking....
btw, i'm not stuck on the fords, just something that size or a touch bigger....

there's a 49 massey-harris 44 (gas)that's a possibility but i don't know chit about 'em.
can somebody fill me in like ya did on the fords?
open for ideas;)

parklane

the 44's don't have a 3 point hitch. If you want a unit similar to a ford, look for a Oliver 555, David Brown, Case 430 (I think). Usually the D.B. will be cheaper (English), and seems to me that all the above have live power take-off, which is what you want. If I had my choice, and they were all about the same $$$, the Oliver is what would be going home with me.

John
If a blind person wears sunglasses, why doesn\'t a deaf person wear earmuffs??

enjenjo

There is also the Ferguson TO20, TO30, and Massey Ferguson MF35, all similar in size to the Ford. There are some differences in the hydraulic system, but they do a good job too. Watch for water in the oil on a Ferguson, they tend to have cracks in the bottom of the block that leak coolant.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

tomslik

Quote from: "parklane"the 44's don't have a 3 point hitch. If you want a unit similar to a ford, look for a Oliver 555, David Brown, Case 430 (I think). Usually the D.B. will be cheaper (English), and seems to me that all the above have live power take-off, which is what you want. If I had my choice, and they were all about the same $$$, the Oliver is what would be going home with me.

John

this is the M-H i was looking at,
http://www.tractorhouse.com/listings/forsale/detail.asp?OHID=4971364&guid=FAEB5E46A5E747689B3DD0B2F9237A20

enj, i'm aware of the fergy's but there ain't many around here....
do they have live pto? or is it like the 2/9/8N's?

enjenjo

Quoteenj, i'm aware of the fergy's but there ain't many around here....

I figured there would be, saw a lot of them in NM. Up to about 54 they don't have a live pto, somewhere in there it was changed. Also, the hydraulic is not adjustable height, it's either up, or down. There is a retrofit kit to fix the hydraulics so it will stay where you put it.

Tractor Supply used to carry a three point kit for a Massey 44, don't know if they still do.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

tomslik

Quote from: "enjenjo"
Quoteenj, i'm aware of the fergy's but there ain't many around here....

I figured there would be, saw a lot of them in NM. Up to about 54 they don't have a live pto, somewhere in there it was changed. Also, the hydraulic is not adjustable height, it's either up, or down. There is a retrofit kit to fix the hydraulics so it will stay where you put it.

Tractor Supply used to carry a three point kit for a Massey 44, don't know if they still do.

well, did some checking and no "tractor supply" within 350 miles....
something will turn up...