Credit Where Credit Is Due!!!!!!

Started by Bob Paulin, January 11, 2006, 05:03:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Paulin

I don't know about the rest of you, but every time I go to mix up a small batch of "Liquid Duct Tape" - better known as two-part epoxy - I find myself searching for something clean and disposable to mix it on, and something else, equally clean and disposable, to apply it.

Lately, I've been saving all those plastic sample credit cards, membership cards, etc. that come in the mail, thinking I will, one day, find a use for them in the shop.

Twice in the past week, I have had to mix up a small batch of JB Weld, and I used the credit cards.

I cut a strip off one end, one-quarter-inch-or-so wide, then mix the epoxy on the remainder of the credit card.

The strip is used to mix and apply the epoxy.

Then, they are both disposed......the epoxy having destroyed them.

If you're really concerned, you can wait a few minutes for the epoxy to set up, then cut everything up.

B.P.
"Cheating only means you really care about winning" - Red Green

Good idea....better yet,use the wife's credit cards :P
"The one who dies with the most friends wins"

Dave

Quote from: "40"Good idea....better yet,use the wife's credit cards :P

I like that  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
Dave

enjenjo

I throw them in the stove when I'm done, so I get a little heat out of it too. :lol:
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "enjenjo"I throw them in the stove when I'm done, so I get a little heat out of it too. :lol:

seems like the house would smell from the burning  plastic?
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

river1

Quote from: "Crosley"
Quote from: "enjenjo"I throw them in the stove when I'm done, so I get a little heat out of it too. :lol:

seems like the house would smell from the burning  plastic?

that's not plastic you're smellin :)S(

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

paul2748

I use plain old cardboard to mix on.  The stuff doesn't attack the cardboard.

BFS57

Hello;
Now, you have touched on a subject I know plenty about! First, My background comes from over 50 years of designing and building competitive model airplanes!
I use cardboard (like the back side of a note pad) to mix my various epoxies on. It depends what Im going to be doing with the epoxy, what I use to mix it with. If I am only mixing a very small amount to fix a small thing, I use piano wire, When the epoxy cures, you can clean off the wire (using an exacto knife) and use the wire again. If I am doing a medium to large batch for a large repair or spreading over an area for glass cloth, I use ice cream sticks (purchased at hobby shops) as well as tongue depressors (from your doctor's office). To spread the epoxy, I use throw away paint brushes as well as the same kind of cardboard mentioned earlier.
I usually have a small supply of these things on hand because you never know when the need comes to "mix up a batch" of something. I also have several different kinds of epoxies on hand as well. I only use JB Weld (slow set), I have quick set, mid set, and slow set,not to mention various viscosities from thick to thin
I can't begin to tell you the "things" I have repaired using epoxy If I did, you wouldn't believe me anyway! (I used JB to glue on a pulley on an AC compressor, and it worked!!)
Bruce

soldermonkey

I mix epoxy and urethanes on a piece of glass that is 1/2 inch thick and about 10 inches by 10 inches square. When the epoxy soft sets it is a simple matter to knock it off with a razor blade scraper. An engineer with  the people that make "Metal Set" epoxy told me that using wood, and cardboard or other papers was not recommended because the paper absorbs elements from the catalyst that can cause altered properties when the epoxy cures.
He recommended mixing on hard plastics, metal, or glass and ceramics.

Normspeed

Good idea. For applying JB, 5 minute, etc to tiny areas I mix and apply with a toothpick. Also, if you keep the plastic tubs for margarine, salsa, etc., the lids make nice nonstick mixing boards.

Quote from: "Bob Paulin"I don't know about the rest of you, but every time I go to mix up a small batch of "Liquid Duct Tape" - better known as two-part epoxy - I find myself searching for something clean and disposable to mix it on, and something else, equally clean and disposable, to apply it.