57 chevy

Started by BFS57, January 11, 2006, 12:56:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BFS57

Hello;
Hope you all had a good holiday season. I know some of you guys are professional builders or at least you know what works and what doesn't. My question has to do with my 57 Chevy. I have the motor running really nice, My trans is next (or?) then Interior, body work, paint. My question is how do you keep track of what needs to happen when? Is there some sort of un-written set of rules? does it matter? I am going for mechanical first then Inside and paint as I believe these are "finishing touches" that should be done last. My basic plan is KISS! (keep it simple stupid)!
I'm still tossing a cion wheather or not I should do something with the steering (power). Been cursing a lot lately trying to do the Pacific raingear windshield wiper install! (my hands need to go on a diet) so far spent two weekends and have accomplished zero, but I have made my mind up to "put this set up in my car!" no matter what gets in the way!!
I know it can take years to accomplish "everything", I just want it to be more organized!
I have got some really helpful ideas in the past from everyone.
Thanks, Bruce

enjenjo

As a general rule, I do mechanical first, then body work, next wiring, and last, interior. But it depends on the car, and finances. Ideally you would assemble the car for fit, tear it down for paint, and do a final assembly. On occasion I have worked with others that use a different order, and outside of having to be careful around finished paint, that works too.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

poncho62

Like enjenjo says, it all depends....If you can take the car off the road for an extended period of time, strip it right down and go from the ground up, is different than if you are going to drive it and fix it up....................it all depends.

GPster

I'd look at to things that would help up-grades and would make it easier to pick and chose later. I'd put a crossmember in under the engine so you're not dealing with the front engine mounts. I'd also put a crossmember in for the transmission. I'd make it's frame mounts so it could be slid around so you could mount the differant lengths of tailhousings from powerglides to 700Rs and not have to redo it whenever you changed your mind. I'd also change the steering to something newer that used a collapsable column because the original steering box with the solid steering column doesn't leave a whole lot of choices. If you get those things out of the way then there are plenty of updates that you could decide on later that you would have the groundwork done. GPster

Take Enjenjo's advice.I always like to do the interior near the end....that said,I try to take the car to the interior shop without the fenders,hood etc as many interior guys use these as work benches....on my recently finished 36,though it went to the interior shop as basically a body and chassis....when I picked it up,it had lots of fine scratches....basically had to color sand/buff the entire car again.
"The one who dies with the most friends wins"

BFS57

Hello;
Yeah, I've been * myself around as I drive the car daily. I need to get a cheapy driver so I can have the car down for an extended period of time.
I do have the transmission crossmember that is adjustable, but my motor is mounted with the "front" style mounts. I do have one (driver's side) side motor mount, why the person that owned it before me didn't put the other in, I don't have a clue. This car has had a few "Bubba's" do their thing to it previously.
I do know that the car needs a new up-dated wiring system so know I know when to do that.
OK! next, I buy myself a junker to drive to work. Probly after I finish this car, I won't want to drive it, but thats what I bought it for! To drive every day!
I'm looking foreword to some more input on this subject!
Thanks, Bruce