Ball Spinner

Started by enjenjo, January 08, 2006, 04:01:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

enjenjo

I had mentioned to some of you that I was building a bowling ball spinner for my son. It's done now, works great. It could use a 1/2 hp motor, but a 1/3 hp was all I had on hand. We had to try it out without the splash guard, which is a big plastic flower pot.

I fabricated the shaft for the spinner from bar stock, using some bearings I had here, and old motor mount spacer, and some 2" heavy wall tubing. The base was made from some .120 steel plate, and some angle iron, with cut down vibration isolators for feet. the cup is a spun aluminum air cleaner cover I picked up at a swap meet. The motor is out of a dryer. The motor mount is some aluminum angle I had left from another job. Everything was recycled, or stuff I had here except the belt and pulleys, and a few bolts.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Charlie Chops 1940

AND, the purpose of a bowling ball spinner would be?
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

purplepickup

Quote from: "Charlie Chops 1940"AND, the purpose of a bowling ball soinner would be?
You beat me to that question Charlie.  I thought spinning the ball is what you did after taking 3 or 4 steps at the bowler's end of the alley. :wink:
George

Dave

Quote from: "purplepickup"
Quote from: "Charlie Chops 1940"AND, the purpose of a bowling ball soinner would be?
You beat me to that question Charlie.  I thought spinning the ball is what you did after taking 3 or 4 steps at the bowler's end of the alley. :wink:

Maybe to polish it  :?:
Dave

enjenjo

Quote from: "Charlie Chops 1940"AND, the purpose of a bowling ball spinner would be?

To spin bowling balls of course.  :lol:

Todays bowling balls are softer than they used to be, and you have to refinish them more often. Plus you can experiment with polishing or sanding to get the ball to react differently. Me it's not a big thing, but he carries a 219 average, so he refinishes his balls often. At $10 to have it done at a pro shop, it gets expensive, particularly with 4 or 5 balls.

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "enjenjo"At $10 to have it done at a pro shop, it gets expensive, particularly with 4 or 5 balls.

wow......... are there some jokes here or what???

:shock:
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

34ford

Exactly what I was thinking  :shock:  :shock:

enjenjo

Quote from: "Crosley"
Quote from: "enjenjo"At $10 to have it done at a pro shop, it gets expensive, particularly with 4 or 5 balls.

wow......... are there some jokes here or what???

:shock:

You guys are pervs, but I forgive you. :wink:

river1

Quote from: "enjenjo"
Quote from: "Charlie Chops 1940"AND, the purpose of a  ball spinner would be?

To spin balls of course.  :lol:

Todays balls are softer than they used to be, and you have to refinish them more often. Plus you can experiment with polishing or sanding to get the ball to react . mine is not big thing, but he carries an average, so he refinishes his balls often. At $10 to have it done by a pro, it gets expensive, particularly with 4 or 5 balls.

nope no jokes here :roll:

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

blksheep

Quote from: "enjenjo"
Quote from: "Charlie Chops 1940"AND, the purpose of a bowling ball spinner would be?

To spin bowling balls of course.  :lol:

Todays bowling balls are softer than they used to be, and you have to refinish them more often. Plus you can experiment with polishing or sanding to get the ball to react differently. Me it's not a big thing, but he carries a 219 average, so he refinishes his balls often. At $10 to have it done at a pro shop, it gets expensive, particularly with 4 or 5 balls.

Well, It certainly sounds like he has a lot of...........will.

Brother Love

The balls of which you speak are mine.  I have a lot of balls.  Go ahead, laugh...giggle...get it all out.

Seriously, it is the greatest invention for us bowlers who need to tune up their equipment every once in a while.  Imagine it to be like you tuning your engine for different purposes(racing, cruising, etc.).  If I need to retune the cover of the ball to meet a specific oil pattern, I can do it myself without making a special trip to the pro shop.

My father is the greatest, and of course made exactly what I need.  The gunk you see on it is the result of me setting in front of it like a fat kid with a birthday cake.
Beep boop bop, I am a robot

Brother Love

Fat Cat

Quote from: "Brother Love"like a fat kid with a birthday cake.

Hey is that any way to talk about me? I will remember that.

Brother Love

Quote from: "Fat Cat"
Quote from: "Brother Love"like a fat kid with a birthday cake.

Hey is that any way to talk about me? I will remember that.

Are you upset because I forgot the ice cream?
Beep boop bop, I am a robot

Brother Love

BFS57

Hello;
Wouldn't it be funny to all of you jokesters if this little gadget made someone millions of dollars!! Thats part of the "find a need and fill it" saying that makes inventive and resourceful people rich!!!
Bruce

enjenjo

They already make them, for about $180 on up. Actually it probably, time wise, would have been cheaper to just buy one, but I think this one will last better than most of them, as the ones you can get at a decent price are mostly plastic.

I was looking at the new Eastwood catalog the other day, and see that they now offer a bench top English wheel for $400. It's a direct copy of the one I designed for the RRT several years ago. Someone was watching  :lol: