Going LSR racing . . . in a truck

Started by av8, January 08, 2006, 04:24:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

river1

Quote from: "OFOF"It sounds like a great project Mike.  I've allways loved old trucks and the ones you have are some of my favorites.  My medical situation is progressing well and I just hope I can get a room for Speedweek.  I got out of the hospital and called all of the hotels with no luck.  I hope the usual cancellations occur as we get closer to August.
Don.

i believe i will have an extra bed if you need it. you'll have to slum it at the motel 6 tho. if you need it i'll have a pit vehicle for your use also.

see you in aug

jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

Elmo Rodge

Are these the Glendale Sidewinders? If so, you're probably aware that they have a history. What with Xydias, Batchelor, Don Waite and Randy Shinn among others,   having been members.

I stop and think about it though, you're not in So-Cal so I'm probably way off.[/quote]

Same club. You don't have to be geographically "friendly" to join a club. It does help to be close to El Mirage when it's time for your duty but I suppose special dispensation is possible. As far as pitting with your club goes, I'm a "MILER" and I crew on some "Eliminators" cars. Wayno

1FATGMC

Quote from: "OFOF"My medical situation is progressing well and I just hope I can get a room for Speedweek.  I got out of the hospital and called all of the hotels with no luck.  I hope the usual cancellations occur as we get closer to August.
Don.

Great news Don  :D  :D  :D .  Stay in touch.  I'd offer you a place in the teardrop, but it isn't long enough  :cry:.  If you and Jim room together I would suggest a room on the ground floor that has Terra Firma under it  :D .

c ya, Sum

sirstude

Don,

Good to hear about your medical going the right way.  Check with BobK, and if worst comes to worst, I have a room with just a couple of us in it so far, also at the 6. You are welcome to bunk with us.

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

av8

Don -- Good to read your report! I'd offer you a bed but we're planning on staying at the KOA in a pal's large travel trailer and appear to be "booked" solid at this point. I'll save you a spot near the front of the line at the Bean Bandits taco feed. :D  

Pardon the brain fade on the club affiliation thing. I don't need it for Bonneville but do for El Mirage, which I plan to run in '07. XF/PP and XF/MP are both open records there at this point but SCTA requires minimum speeds of 105 and 110 mph respectively.  This project could keep me busy for several years!

Mike

OFOF

Thanks Jim, don't give that bed away unless you contact me first.  The Motel 6 would be great.  I'm still looking for something where Mickey and I can stay together and I don't have to sleep with him  :oops:
How is the sedan running in the cool weather you are enjoying?
Don.
Don Palfreyman

river1

Quote from: "OFOF"Thanks Jim, don't give that bed away unless you contact me first.  The Motel 6 would be great.  I'm still looking for something where Mickey and I can stay together and I don't have to sleep with him  :oops:
How is the sedan running in the cool weather you are enjoying?
Don.

mickey is small he can sleep in the tub :shock:

the sedan is running great in this cooler weather. :D

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

av8

My racetruck program might go into parked mode for Speed Week '06, but it's for a very good reason; Kent Fuller's flathead streamliner project is back on track!  

Rather than waiting for the high-zoot blown fuel motor, Vern Tardel is going to put together an unblown 276-cid gas motor that will permit Fuller to run fast enough to sort the 'liner without worrying about tuning.  

Fuller will move the front and rear exhaust outlets outward to the ends of the block next week and I'll port it when he's done.  Vern will take the handoff and assemble the motor, dipping into his considerable inventory of racemotor hardware which includes the very-lightweight crank that Ed Binggeli carved and polished for "Salt 'N Peppers" in 1993.  Fuller has already built tuned headers that fit inside the 'liner's hull, and accommodate the relocated outlets.

With Fuller's 'liner back on track, I think I can hold off until '07.  8)  

Mike

unklian

We'd love to see some pics of Fullers 'Liner Mike.

av8

Quote from: "unklian"We'd love to see some pics of Fullers 'Liner Mike.

I don't have any recent pictures of the 'liner but will be taking some next week. Here it is when it was first rolled out into the sunlight at Tardel's about four years ago.

Upside down on the rotisserie in Fuller's shop, two years ago. It still has the single 'chute tube. Fuller has since reworked the rear of the hull to fit two 'chute tubes as the rules now require. Previously the two 'chutes were arranged in tandem in a single tube.

This rendering of the 'liner is of the first configuration, with the blown motor. Fuller designed and built a front-drive for the blower to keep the hull as "clean" as possible.

I'll be shooting more pictures next week to get back into documenting the build now that it's active again.

Mike

1FATGMC

Quote from: "av8"

Mike that rendering is beautiful.  Are you going to run Blown Fuel and go after the 302 mph Flatfire record?  I guess that is the reason for needing 2 chutes.

I have one stupid question, where exactly does the driver sit :?:  :?: .

Let's see more pictures and if you guys don't have a site to put them on I'd put them on my site and create a section for you like I have done for a couple others ( HERE ).

c ya, Sum

av8

Quote from: "1FATGMC"
Quote from: "av8"

Mike that rendering is beautiful.  Are you going to run Blown Fuel and go after the 302 mph Flatfire record?  I guess that is the reason for needing 2 chutes.

Yes, Fuller did build the car for the ultimate flathead record. In XF/BFS it will run with a 296-cid 8BA with a crank-mounted Whipple supercharger, initally on alcohol. Nitro will be added if needed, but Fuller is confident the car will run over 300 mph on alcohol. BTW, Fuller and Ron Main are in the same SCTA club, Sidewinders, and Fuller and * Landy are old and close pals. Neither Ron nor * have any involvement in Fuller's 'liner, however. :D

QuoteI have one stupid question, where exactly does the driver sit :?:  :?: .

The driver doesn't sit, he lies down in a supine position and looks up into a periscope and sights down the channel between the front wheel housings. The elongated keystone panel aft of the wheel housings is the hatch which is hinged at the front. A rule change written after the build was underway dictates increased peripheral view, so Fuller will be adding flush view ports.

QuoteLet's see more pictures and if you guys don't have a site to put them on I'd put them on my site and create a section for you like I have done for a couple others ( HERE ).

c ya, Sum

Thanks, Sum. I'll talk to Fuller about your offer. I know he'd eventually like to have a site, but it's beyond our ken at this point and it would be nice to have a place to send interested parties.

More pictures soon.

Mike

1FATGMC

QuoteThe driver doesn't sit, he lies down in a supine position and looks up into a periscope and sights down the channel between the front wheel housings. The elongated keystone panel aft of the wheel housings is the hatch which is hinged at the front. A rule change written after the build was underway dictates increased peripheral view, so Fuller will be adding flush view ports.

He probably is aware of Costella's streamliner where he uses a periscope.  He needs smooth salt or the car vibrates so bad it is hard for him to see.

His canopy wraps around to comply with the rules, but since he is sitting/laying so low I wonder if he can actually see out the sides.  Maybe you guys could put clear panels down on the sides of the car if frame members aren't in the way to see out.

There are more pictures of Costella's car ( HERE ).

c ya, Sum

unklian

Mike:
I'd love to post some pics of Fuller's car on www.allshops.org    :idea:

We can set you up with your own album,whatever you want.

av8

I've had some concerns about the vision issue from the start, but Fuller isn't about to change anything until he's seen that it needs to be.  

The 'liner's hull is monocoque -- 10-ga CR steel plate, Tig welded -- so view ports must be kept small so the strength of the hull isn't compromised.  

Mike