Harbor Freight for tools?

Started by 48builder, January 05, 2006, 07:04:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

48builder

I have bought stuff from Harbor Frieght in the past, usually things like acid brushes, rubber gloves. I've never bought any electric or hand tools. The prices in the catalog are sure tempting, but I have the feeling most of the stuff won't hold up. I just got a book that has a 1/2" 18V hammer drill for $30. I can't imagine that it is very good quality.  We have one of their stores local now, but I haven't been yet. I'm thinking about going, but want to know what I should stay away from, and what is good.

Thanks,

Walt
'48 Chevy Custom sedan in progress-Z28 LT1 drivetrain, chopped, shortened, too many other body mods to list
'39 Chevy driver

Okiedokie

One of my favorite haunts. Their stuff is fine for my use [ hobbiest ], and I have bought a few items for bussiness use. However, none is used all day every day with the exception of pallet jacks that we buy from them. They have proved to be a good deal. We wait and buy them when they have them on sale for $199.00. I know many car guys that are as pleased with stuff at Harbor Freight as I am. If you go to their website I understand they have a discount coupon. I have not looked into it. Joe

BFS57

Hello;
They just opened a store near me and I have bought and used some air tools from them. So far, all is great! I purchased a 3/8" air ratchet for $15. Man, the first time I used it, it paid for itself! Man, they got my vote!
Bruce

Dirk35

I am real heppy with their Bead Roller for Sheet Metal. You have to re-enforce it with heavy gauge square tubing, but compared to the minumium service charge, the wo peices I have made with it have already paid for themsleves in the savings -vs- taking what I needed to the sheet metal shop. I bought the electric hand held shear and am happy with it too.

Now, having said that, I am soooooo unhappy (just cause it is weak and the chuck is worn out) with my Black and Decker Hammer Drill, that I wont buy anything but Dewalt for things that spin (Drill, Ginder, Cut-off saw).

Harbor Freight's Hole-Saw kit is worthless and will not even bolt together.

DRD57

Quote from: "Dirk35"Now, having said that, I am soooooo unhappy (just cause it is weak and the chuck is worn out) with my Black and Decker Hammer Drill, that I wont buy anything but Dewalt for things that spin (Drill, Ginder, Cut-off saw).

Guess who makes Dewalt tolls.

blksheep

$100.00 goes a long way at Harbor frieght. I get all the small tools I might use once ir twice and throw away. Like a heat gun,(better quality than I expected), steering wheel puller, metric allen wrenchs, roll around shop stool, ect.
Things like floor jacks, tool carts, bench grinders, ect., I think the qulity is good for the hobbiest use.

blksheep..."Tools are the ultimet adult male toys"...in Charlotte

1FATGMC

Quote from: "Dirk35"I am real happy with their Bead Roller for Sheet Metal. You have to re-enforce it with heavy gauge square tubing,

I got one a year or so ago for less than $100 when it was on sale.  I haven't used it yet.  I'm interested in how you re-enforced yours.  Do you have any pictures.  What gauge metal were you working with and can you make multiple passes to take care of the problem.

BTW I have thousands of dollars of their tools.  The 12 X 36 metal lathe I love.  I also got a mill from ENCO, but HF sells the same one and it has worked really well for me.  The chuck that came with it was junk, but Julie got me a German chuck for Christmas and that has taken care of that problem.  I usually look for the heaviest duty (most amps in elect. tool cases) when I get something from them.  Like I bought there most expensive (non-brand name) chop saw from them years ago and it still is going strong.  Same thing with there sawsall copycat.  I got the best non-name (their Chicago name) I could and it has held up well.  A few things have been junk.

Thanks,

Sum

rooster

Our garage is full of there tools, I have taken a air impact back, no questions asked! even exchange!

sawall
portaban saw
large and small grinders
polisher
ele metal shear
8 ton hoist
tire changer
balancer
others

Im Happy!

flt-blk

You get exactly what you pay for.

If you don't use the tools often it may be worth a shot.  If you want
to pass the tools down to your grandchildren, don't get them at HF

I have a friend that buys 3 angle grinders at a time.  You would think
he would just spend the money on a good one ONCE.
Philosophy of hot rods
The welder is the Yin and the Grinder is the Yang

EMSjunkie

Alot of my air tools and abrasives come from HF.
we have a store here in Amarillo.

I don't much care for their drill bits or hole saws.
unless you like to use it once and throw it away.  :x

Vance
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****

35WINDOW

I have purchased a lot of different items from HF, and I agree on the Angle Grinders, except that they do carry one (of the 3 or four different designs they carry that I've purchased) that has held up really well. I also have the HF Bead Roller, and I beefed it up with 3" X 3" X 3/16" tubing, and it really took out the flex. I am a big Milwaukee fan, but I purchased one of their 7" Grinders for my Shrinking Disc and have not had one problem. They do make some real junk, but I agree that for most of us Hobbiests that you can save some real money there-

Craig

Fat Cat

I have quite a few tools from HF. In my tool box at work I have a complete set of 1/2" impact sockets, that get used every day, a set of 3/8 impact sockets, Torx sockets, and impact extensions.

A set of rachet wrenchs that would fool the best of them that they are gear wrench brand. I have a set of metric Gearwrench brand wrenchs and they both seem to work about the same. Also have a die grinder and right angle die grinder.

As some have said you get what you pay for. But if you can go into the store and look at the tools there are some good ones in there to be had. For example the die grinder I have was not the cheapest one they carry. I did not get that one because the end cover on the body was made of plastic. I opted for the one with the aluminum end.

Walt if the drill you are talking about is the same one they carry at the local store here it is distributed by a company here in Perrysburg, Oh called Clark Tools. I have one of their 18V drills and use it often. Enjenjo has 2 of them.

I also go there to get my nitril gloves. I can buy a box of 100 pairs for the same price I can 5 pairs from the local hardware store.

As with most things if you do a little research ahead of time you can get a good deal on some things and other things should be avoided.

Bib_Overalls

Quote from: "flt-blk"
I have a friend that buys 3 angle grinders at a time.  You would think
he would just spend the money on a good one ONCE.

It could be me, but angle grinders, regardless of brand or price, do not hold up very well. The really cheap ones do not hold up as well as the mid range ones.  But, the mid range ones seem to hold up as well as the high end ones.

I buy one every six months or so for about $50.
An Old California Rodder
Hiding Out In The Ozarks

ONE37TUDOR

My brother in law runs a welding and fab shop and does a lot of grinding on pipe clean up. He has purchased grinders from every company he can find but no matter the price they rarely last more that a few months to a year. He started purchasing them from HF and like stated earlier he will buy several at a time and if they are on sale he will buy all the have in stock at times Some will last fro four or five months and others may only last for a few weeks. He only pays $19 for them even when they are not onsale so he figures he can go through about 10 of them for the price of a better quality grinder? Works for him!!

I have several HF tools and they have worked well for me. I do not like their cutting, drilling, sanding or or grinding type implements however. The drill bits will go away in just a few holes, the grit will fly all over the place and their blades (in anything they sell) will leave you wondering who heat treated the piece of metal you are trying to cut and made it so hard.

Scott...
SCOTT,  slow moving, slow talking, no typing SCOTT

purplepickup

Quote from: "EMSjunkie"..we have a store here in Amarillo.

Vance
Yup Vance,  that's where it all started for me.  The Amarillo store was the one that got my cherry....my first HF experience.  

Like a lot of people, since then I've bought quite a few things there.  Some lasted and some didn't.  But I figure I've got a hell of a lot more tools than I would have if I'd only bought name brand stuff somewhere else.  Most of my tools don't get overused so HF is plenty good for those, but for tools I use a lot like ratchets, sockets, and most hand tools I like to get good stuff.

There was a while there that I couldn't go into a HF store without spending a couple hundred dollars.  Of course I'd have a cart or two full of stuff.  Now that I've got at least one of everything I can get out for less than a hundred. :lol:

By the way, if anyone needs that 20% off coupon it's here http://ww2.harborfreightusa.com/showpage_retail.taf?pageid=214&email=
George