Can anyone help me with the wires on a '03 Neon wiper motor?

Started by 48builder, December 30, 2005, 12:22:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

48builder

I brought home a wiper motor from an 03 Neon. Nice small design with delay and an arm that can be changed so the park is in any position I want it. Looks like it will work fine with my home-built wiper setup. I just need to know what wire is what so I can hook it up and see how it runs. There are 5 wires. I'm sorry but I forgot to bring it to work with me and I can't remember the colors. I can post them later if it helps. With it bolted in, I even have room for a glove box and my A/C evaporator.

Thanks,

Walt
'48 Chevy Custom sedan in progress-Z28 LT1 drivetrain, chopped, shortened, too many other body mods to list
'39 Chevy driver

48ford

Hi Walt,
Black Is ground
Dk. blue is 12 V
red/yellow High
Brown/ white Low
Dark green/yellow delay
hope this helps
russ&irene

48builder

Quote from: "48ford"Hi Walt,
Black Is ground
Dk. blue is 12 V
red/yellow High
Brown/ white Low
Dark green/yellow delay
hope this helps
russ&irene[/quote

Perfect! I got the motor mounted last night and will go give it a try now. Thanks a million.]
'48 Chevy Custom sedan in progress-Z28 LT1 drivetrain, chopped, shortened, too many other body mods to list
'39 Chevy driver

blksheep

HEYYY,
How bout some pictures of that Neon wiper motor???
I been lookin for a small replacement on a early Impala and that may "Git-R-Done".

blksheep..."This might be the only time your ever wipin somethin, were smallers better"......in Charlotte

48builder

I got the motor mounted, but I could only get it to work in high. I went through the troubleshooting steps in my Z28 manual, and determined that I have a bad wiper switch. So I kept on working with just high speed. I couldn't get the Neon motor to park because of the switch, and I didn't want to mess with applying power randomly to the motor. The delay and low wires a a mystery to me anyway. On the Z28 switch it appears a series of resistors control the delay, along with power that is applied via the "low" wire as well. I'll get it at some point. Russ, if you have the schematic of the Neon I could see that may be a help.

Anyway, I let the thing run in high for over 15 minutes with no binding that I could see. I did have to cut and shorten one of the regulator arms so both sides have the same sweep distance. Now I have to redrill the arms and attach the springs. I think the setup is going to work fine, and I have a grand total of about $50 in it, including new blades. I don't want to admit how many hours I have in it though.

Blksheep, if I ever get out and get a digital camera I'll get a pic posted. It's a nice small unit, and you can set the arm any where you want at park which makes it easier to find a position to mount it. I put mine on the far right side under the dash so I can change it if I need to in the future without taking anything else out.
'39 Chevy driver

enjenjo

I have some bad news for you. The GM system is set up for a circuit board on the motor that sets the delay. The Neon system has the delay built into the switch. So at this point, you have no delay board in the system.

Further, on the GM system, parking the wipers is accomplished by actuating a solenoid on the motor, that catches a cam that opens a switch built into the motor to park the wipers. So when you park the wipers on a GM system, it applies power to the solenoid, which actuates the cam, which shuts down the system. I am not sure how the Neon accomplishes this, but it may be a different system all together. Just a guess, I believe the Neon has a Bosch system, which works somewhat differently.

This is not to say you can't use the GM switch with the Neon motor, you may have to reassign some of the functions to make it work properly, and may have to add an accessory delay box to get that function. At any rate, the addition of a relay will allow pulse wipers, even without a delay box.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

48ford

I am going to post the wireing ,but if it won't work send me your e-mail addy and I will get it to you.
Russ

48builder

Quote from: "enjenjo"I have some bad news for you. The GM system is set up for a circuit board on the motor that sets the delay. The Neon system has the delay built into the switch. So at this point, you have no delay board in the system.

I knew it was going too good to be true. Oh, well. I did find a Buick motor that may work. All I really need is a motor with a splined arm that I can position where I want it.
'39 Chevy driver

enjenjo

There is another possibility here. In the 80's Mopar actually used GM tilt columns. So it may be possible to use a Mopar switch, on your GM column and make it all work. I haven't tried it, just a possible.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

48builder

Quote from: "enjenjo"There is another possibility here. In the 80's Mopar actually used GM tilt columns. So it may be possible to use a Mopar switch, on your GM column and make it all work. I haven't tried it, just a possible.

Possible, but not sure my cruise lever would work with the Mopar switch. Something to consider though. I really thought I had this thing nailed. The length of the arm is right and the motor fits great. I guess I could live without delay, but if I am going to go to all this trouble, I want all the features.
'39 Chevy driver

48ford

Sent you the wireing,
let us all know how it works.
Russ&Irene]