Taking apart a car you built for a new project needs?

Started by Crosley.In.AZ, December 27, 2005, 10:21:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crosley.In.AZ

I am in the thinking mode of taking apart my 61 Dodge Lancer 4 door car to use the parts for different projects.

The car has a 350 chev motor, 350-tranny , mustang II front suspension, dropped spindles, rear diff is a 8 inch Ford Maverick.

The remaining Lancer parts would be sold off or thrown away I suppose.

I've driven the Dodge in it's current form for 3+ years.  I doubt I will ever do more work to it like interior , some body work & paint, re-wire the whole car.

Or leave the car alone and starting buying more stuff?

:arrow:  :shock:
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

HotRodLadyCrusr

Is the sum of the parts separated worth more then the car as a whole if you were to sell it whole??  If so, rip it apart and start planning your next project.  If not, sell it whole and use the money to start buy the pieces you need.
Your topless crusn buddy, Denise

Looking for old good for nothing flathead heads to use for garden project.

1FATGMC

Quote from: "Crosley"I am in the thinking mode of taking apart my 61 Dodge Lancer 4 door car to use the parts for different projects.

The car has a 350 chev motor, 350-tranny , mustang II front suspension, dropped spindles, rear diff is a 8 inch Ford Maverick.

The remaining Lancer parts would be sold off or thrown away I suppose.

I've driven the Dodge in it's current form for 3+ years.  I doubt I will ever do more work to it like interior , some body work & paint, re-wire the whole car.

Or leave the car alone and starting buying more stuff?

:arrow:  :shock:

I'll trade you a '78 Buick Century for it.  Straight across, so you will get a 17 year newer car.  What a deal  :P .

c ya, Sum

enjenjo

Sell it to some one who will take it to the next level. It's to neat a car to part out. Everything you mentioned is easily obtainable.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

purplepickup

I agree with Frank.  That's a cool car just like it is.  To us unique car lovers  in the Rust Belt, that Valiant is cool.  If you really don't want it anymore how much do you want for it just the way it is?  Sell it and buy new stuff that you would take off it.  You could count me as an interested person. :D
George

58 Yeoman

I agree with Frank and George.  I'd use it for a daily driver before I'd cut it up.  A local lot had a white one a year or so ago, and it didn't stay on the lot for long.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

blksheep

I think everyone has had the temptation to rob this or that part from an existing driver. My steadfast rule, for myself, anyway, is to never undo what I have already done. Keep a driver, a driver.
Personally, I would look for an older V8 Nova, 70's-80's Impala, Caprice or Malibu, (4drs are cheaper) donor car and sell the Lancer to fund it. I love donor cars. They yield a ton of nuts, bolts, seats, steering columns, ect., not to mention fenders, doors hoods and trunk lids for the swap meet. Then, the salvage yard will still give ya a few bucks for whats left.
I gotta go. Goin out and find my next donor...........

Good Hunting...........

blksheep..."Hello, Want Ad Digest??...You got any....". :roll: ..in Charlotte

GPster

Unfortunately, the worst way to think about selling a car is to start thinging that it is probably worth more as pieces or that there is something that you would have done different if you had thought more about it. Or to tell the prospective buyers (us?) all of this stuff. I have a problem listening to a prospective buyer pointing out the bad points to run the price down because I tend to believe them. If they don't buy I usually add their observations to the list and point them out to the next prospect. Because you've made it to accept SBC it is probably a bigger "sleeper" than an Isetta with a Honda engine. Don't run it's value down or let anyone else and I would not advise fixing things that you have second thoughts about because the whole time you'll be looking at something that you thought you didn't do right and that can be depressing.With a "chopped" top and a "gutted" interior I bet it would be a distintive Bonneville car. I always thought that a 4 dr car would be handy because it would give you a way to get into it if the engine came through the firewall too far. Why don't you play around with that in your mind and get Sumner to help you pick a class. GPster (picking a name can really be a burden when it comes to explaining your accomplishments)

1FATGMC

Quote from: "purplepickup"You could count me as an interested person. :D

Is this the same "I'm cutting back on cars 'George'" that I talked to on the phone last week with  :?  :D  :?  :D .  Have a good 1st George and the rest of you too.

Quote from: "GPster"With a "chopped" top and a "gutted" interior I bet it would be a distintive Bonneville car. I always thought that a 4 dr car would be handy because it would give you a way to get into it if the engine came through the firewall too far. Why don't you play around with that in your mind and get Sumner to help you ##### class. GPster (picking a name can really be a burden when it comes to explaining your accomplishments)

GREAT idea Joe  :D  :D .   Tony this has way more posibilites than the Crosley and will go lots faster :-o  :-o .

But I still want you to consider the trade  8)  8) .  The Buick has a sbc, 200R4 and gets good gas mileage and under 150,000 miles.  What more could you ask for  :wink: .

c ya, Sum

purplepickup

Quote from: "1FATGMC"
Quote from: "purplepickup"You could count me as an interested person. :D

Is this the same "I'm cutting back on cars 'George'" that I talked to on the phone last week with  :?  :D  :?  :D .  
c ya, Sum
I figured you'd notice that. :lol:  Old habits are hard to break. I've still got the car guy sickness, I'm just trying to avoid the major projects from now on.   I've got so many different "wanna do's" in my life that I don't have time to build a car from scratch anymore.  The biggest car project I've got planned is to blow my truck apart and redo it one of these years.

Tony, I think Joe's Bonneville idea would be neat.  After all it is sort of aerodynamic. 8)
George