67 Nova rearend

Started by bigdude, December 22, 2005, 09:33:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigdude

Hey dudes and dudettes,I need a posi rear axle for my Nova I just got--anybody got?

Charlie Chops 1940

Are you looking for a complete housing  or just a posi unit to put in your rear end. I believe Eaton posi units are available for that unit. I use one of those rearends under my '40 Chevy with Moser replacement axles and the Eaton posi. Bullet proof enough.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

bigdude

I would just as soon have the whole rearend. Its got a 3:08 now, would like something that I could do a good John Force imitation with :lol:

enjenjo

Real hard to find. They were only used 2 years. But, a 67 to 69 Camaro, or 68 to 74 Nova will bolt in. The other rears are 2" wider, but wheel backspacing can fix that. It's about an inch on each side.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Crosley.In.AZ

the  Nova 12 bolts are hard to find and usually expensive .

In the early 1980's I had nice 327 Nova block with the special machined oil filter area. I had to nearly give the block away then
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

blksheep

Well,...having had 11, yes, 11, 62-67 Novas, I have traveled this 12 bolt road a few times. Chances are, the car you have now, has a 10 bolt, not built to handle big HP.
Finding an original Chevy II 12 bolt will be nearly impossible and once found, very e$pen$ive. Besides, the stock rear brakes suck anyway and you know it will have the wrong gear ratio for you application.
My suggestion and what I did on the last Deuce, was have a 9" built to the correct, or custom width. Bout $2K, li'l pricey, but that problem solved.
Now, about that mono leaf spring. If you plan to retain the mono leaf spring, you'll need a good set of traction bars and because of the uni-body construction, sub frame connectors to help prevent body twist.  (Exp. Comp. Engineering or Lakewood bars, preferably with "J" bolts.) Also, Please, remember that car has been sittin on that single leaf spring for nearly 40 years. I suggest, at least new springs, or a 4 bar type rear suspension, with coil overs.
I realize I just suggested you spend a bunch on this car. But, in the long run, this is the safest and least costly fix for big HP.
BTW, fenderwell clearence for Chevy II's are very tight with the stock width rear. Camaro and later model Nova rears only compound this tire clearence problem. Just my experience.

blksheep....NOVACAINED...in Charlotte

bigdude

Not just another pretty face here blk sheep. Just trying to feel things out.  bigdude-- blind and wandering--in Mi

purplepickup

Quote from: "blksheep"Well,...having had 11, .......
Just my experience.

blksheep....NOVACAINED...in Charlotte
11?... :shock: ...cool...I likes late '60s Novas.  If I had one I'd be thanking you for the good post Dave.  Well, thanks anyway 8)
George

Charlie Chops 1940

I assumed that bigdude was talking about a 10-bolt rear. I haven't seen a Nova 12-bolt in a loooong time. The 10-bolt will take some pretty serious horsepower without a ton of investment. I know several guys who used them in 10" tire door slammers and launched with the tires in the air every time.

At any rate there are good gears available from Richmond and posi units as I said above. Mine had way over 100K on it as a 3.08 open when I changed the engine and trans a couple years ago. The rear was getting drippy at the housing ends so I put in Mosher axles - the axle bearing and seal surfaces were self destructing. With new gears and bearings and a posi I guess the old girl is ready for another 100K.

Bigdude doesn't say anything about his intended use and how much power he's using, but given the stock wheel well in the Nova he won't be able to get enough tire in there to kill the 10-bolt.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!