Newest Purchase

Started by alchevy, December 20, 2005, 03:03:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alchevy

Well, I now own a clone of a clone...a 2006 Chevy HHR. If the PT Cruiser is a clone of the style of fat fendered cars of the old days, then this HHR is a clone of the PT Cruiser. I was able to drive it home last night just to see how I liked it and when I parked it by my '40 Chevy...both cars were smiling...that is if a car could smile. They say that if ya park a '48 Suburban on one side and a new SSR on the other side, then park the HHR in the middle, you can tell where the styling ideas came from.

The HHR's are getting popular, they even have a club (website): www.hhrclub.org
AL
A street rod is a vehicle made before 1949 that is modified with modern stuff: bigger motors; newer trans; updated suspension, front & rear; a/c.
Following is a street rod plus definition: No known definition because it changes.

www.astreetrodder.com

Crosley.In.AZ

I like the HHR.... plenty of room inside it.  Enjoy it!

Let me know how the fuel mileage and power does

It came down to the HHR and the VW Jetta TDI.  I needed fuel mileage and the Jetta does well.  Last tank of fuel was 42.8 MPG.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

tomslik

Quote from: "Crosley"I like the HHR.... plenty of room inside it.  Enjoy it!

Let me know how the fuel mileage and power does

It came down to the HHR and the VW Jetta TDI.  I needed fuel mileage and the Jetta does well.  Last tank of fuel was 42.8 MPG.

how's the blower?

have i told ya recently how much i hate european "cars"?
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

alchevy

Quote from: "Crosley"Let me know how the fuel mileage and power does

I will let ya know. The computer will tell me. That is when I have to fill it up again...right now, it's got a full tank from the Chevrolet place...supposssssseeeeeeddddd to go about 460 miles on a tank. We'll see about that.

Right now, it's got plenty of power. The salesman told me that one of the HHR's that he has sold was to a former PT Cruiser owner that was happy with the power the HHR had over the PT Cruiser. The HHR handles and drives very well. The price was right with the red tag sale. I just got it with the LS (lowest) package and added automatic transmission. It's dark silver metalic (looks dark gray to me).
AL
A street rod is a vehicle made before 1949 that is modified with modern stuff: bigger motors; newer trans; updated suspension, front & rear; a/c.
Following is a street rod plus definition: No known definition because it changes.

www.astreetrodder.com

Crosley.In.AZ

QuoteIt's dark silver metalic (looks dark gray to me).

One of 2 colors we were thinking of , the orange color was our second choice.  The In town driving on the Jetta we put 520 - 550 miles per tank and the 'low fuel' light has not lit up yet.

Quotehow's the blower?
Janice thinks the blower fan works better now , than before it quit functioning. I think she is correct.  Camelback VW was great , we had a loaner car for a simple blower fan repair.

Quotehave i told ya recently how much i hate european "cars"?

yes, painfully so. Those who protest the loudest are really not protesting, but are praising.....  :wink:
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

purplepickup

I've had the bug to get one of those and took two test drives so far.  I just can't bring myself to jump back into car payments.  It's marginal on space in the driving compartment for me.  I have the seat all the way back and it's sort of ok but then I'm used to a Buick with LOTS of room.  After 80K+ miles in the purple pickup's tiny cab, space is important to me.

I've wondered about towing a trailer with one.  I forgot to ask about it at the dealership and don't see that they even have any towing ratings in the brochure or online.  Maybe they'll offer a V6 someday.

Congratulations on the purchase.   It's one of those kind of cars that everyone is looking at you so don't be picking your nose at a stop light. :shock:  I'll bet it looks good setting in the driveway.
George

Uncle Bob

"....that is if a car could smile. "

Of course they can smile!  And laugh too!
Luck occurs when preparation and opportunity meet.

TJ's Dad

QuoteHHR is a clone of the PT Cruiser.

Any chance you could post a pic ??

I've not seen one and as my wife is constantly on my back to replace the 'daily driver' with a PT Cruiser i'd like a look.

In Aus the 4 banger version of the PT Cruiser is the only one available.

I\'d rather a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomomy !!!

ASRF Life Member

VHRA Member.

enjenjo

I tried one on for size in Las Vegas, didn't get a chance to drive it. I did like the seating position, it was comfortable for me. Price was reasonable too.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

tomslik

Quote from: "Crosley"
QuoteIt's dark silver metalic (looks dark gray to me).

One of 2 colors we were thinking of , the orange color was our second choice.  The In town driving on the Jetta we put 520 - 550 miles per tank and the 'low fuel' light has not lit up yet.

Quotehow's the blower?
Janice thinks the blower fan works better now , than before it quit functioning. I think she is correct.  Camelback VW was great , we had a loaner car for a simple blower fan repair.

Quotehave i told ya recently how much i hate european "cars"?

yes, painfully so. Those who protest the loudest are really not protesting, but are praising.....  :wink:

notice I didn't BUY one...;)
mama didn't raise no fool.
i'm a self-made man.
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

alchevy

I'll try to remember to bring my digital camera to work in the morning so that I can take some pictures of it at work. It's dark when I go to work and dark when I get home. Today was the first day since I bought it that the sun was shining during the day to get a good picture......but I did not have my camera with me. Would like to get some shots of it with my '40 Chevy, but it looks like they have rain in the forecast on Saturday when I am off from work.

Compared to my 2000 Chevy Blazer that I traded in on the HHR, there's more leg room in the HHR. It also drives and rides better than the Blazer.

I stopped by a store on the way home from work today and looked at 2 magazines that had stories about the HHR. Consumer Reports and Motor Trend tore it up. So it did not make the car of the year in MT and CR liked the PT Cruiser better. CR did not like my '81 Chevy Pickup either that I still have today and love....neither did they like my Chevy Spectrum that I had from in '86 to '95 (it worked for me at 41mpg in '86 when gas was under $1 a gal. and it got 41mpg just before I traded it). In '86 I got my first job making minimum wage, had the car payment, & drove an hour to work and an hour back home....but gas was cheap! So basically if the magazines don't like a car, then the car is perfect for me!
AL
PS: While watching the bowl game Tuesday night, my local cable company airs local commercials and one came on from where I bought the car...then I saw my HHR on the commercial!

www.astreetrodder.com

TJ's Dad

Thanks .... waiting in 40 Degree Temps ......... we could do with a White Xmas !!

ASRF Life Member

VHRA Member.

alchevy

Here's some pictures of my HHR.

www.astreetrodder.com

TJ's Dad

There a nice looking rig ...... i like the 'step side' style guards (oops fenders)  :roll:

ASRF Life Member

VHRA Member.

Dusty

The SO-CAL bunch, had one of the HHR's at Bonnevile last year, running one of the Eco-tec engines...They never did get a good run out of it...It was chopped 4", and really looked Racey...Of course it was only about 2" off the salt which added to the Racey effect...

MERRY CHRISTMAS
Benny Rhoads
Orange,  Texas
THE SECOND MOUSE GETS THE CHEESE