Satellite Radio.....XM or Sirius ??

Started by 40, December 13, 2005, 08:54:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

If the top dogs are paying Stern $5 million.....The company SHOULD go broke! That's a ridiculous amount of money to pay anyone for anything....Especially that * Clown :roll:
"The one who dies with the most friends wins"

slocrow

MP3! No monthly charge and you do your own programing..........
Tell the National Guard to mind the grocery store...

phat rat

Quote from: "slocrow"MP3! No monthly charge and you do your own programing..........

Bought an Iriver mp3 with 20g it'll hold 6,000 tunes plus pics. Can play it through any radio by remote or if the radio has cassette capability there's a cassette like adapter available for playing directly from the mp3 to the radio. Works great and portable from one place or car to another.
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

Crafty

if its of any interest I know that Sirius broadcast BBC Radio 1 from over here in the UK.. so you can get to hear what we do!

Interesting though that the BBC are involved with a company who have so many problems at the moment.. their balance sheet sure doesn't look too great see here http://finance.yahoo.com/q/ks?s=SIRI

efingstein

MP3's are a great idea. I'm going in that direction also very soon. I like listening to a little talk radio too. I listen to Opie & Anthony every morning. Nothing like a little good natured raunchy comedy first thing in the morning.
Every man should forcibly leave his steel toe boot print on the face of history.

35WINDOW

I am a bit of a Sports fan (Go Broncos and Nebraska-yeah!!) so I purchased Sirius this past Summer and really like it-the only criticism that I have is when I go through certain Cities, I can get some interference. Does anyone else out there have this problem? How about the XM guys? I have heard that you can change your Primary Station to correct this, but I have not had any luck-

It does bother me that you pay for Radio and still have Commercials on certain Channels-

Craig

Crosley.In.AZ

only problems I've had with XM is in some canyons when the road is against the mountain I have lost the signal briefly.

Although XM claims it is full satellite transmission , a fellow on another board works on big  transmitters. He says he has worked on some land based XM signal  broadcast  transmitters
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

efingstein

XM has what they call "terrestrial repeaters" on cell towers all over the place. If they get alot of complaints on a dead zone, they'll install a repeater. My sat in my caprice is run through the antenna and my wifes impala has it through the tape player (for now). I'll hard wire both next year. Also, one of the reasons i went to Xm was the size of the recievers. They have a Roady XT the is less that 1" thick.
Every man should forcibly leave his steel toe boot print on the face of history.

tom36

If Sirius gets Howard Stern AND Nascar, I don't believe they would be the one going out of business.  Just my $.02.  Tom..[/quote]  

More on Sirius--
His move to Sirius Satellite Radio, while somewhat risky, comes with a huge financial reward: Stern signed a five-year, $500 million contract to create two new channels for Sirius. The salaries, overhead and other programming costs come out of his windfall.

During his career, Stern evolved into the center of attention in First Amendment issues and censorship. Infinity Broadcasting paid $1.7 million in 1995 to settle complaints by the Federal Communications Commission against Stern. In April 2004, Clear Channel dumped Stern from six stations because of his show's content.

Sirius is depending on Stern to reverse its money-losing ways. Since the 51-year-old shock jock announced his move last year, the number of Sirius subscribers jumped from 600,000 to more than 2.2 million. That figure is expected to hit 3 million by the end of the year.

Skip

Which one has the most rock-a-billy stations?
Skip

Early Hemi SME
Hot Rod Wiring Consulting

alchevy

I just bought the roadyXT XM unit this week and have been using it in the HHR and in the office at work. Found one spot where it picks up in the office. Good quality sound. I could have gotten an HHR with XM, but then I could not listen to it at home or at work and while it is sitting in a parked car, I would be paying for it. So this way, it can go anywhere.

Have been hearing some songs that I have not heard in years.
AL
A street rod is a vehicle made before 1949 that is modified with modern stuff: bigger motors; newer trans; updated suspension, front & rear; a/c.
Following is a street rod plus definition: No known definition because it changes.

www.astreetrodder.com

KustomLincolnLady

Quote from: "phat rat"
Quote from: "slocrow"MP3! No monthly charge and you do your own programing..........

Bought an Iriver mp3 with 20g it'll hold 6,000 tunes plus pics. Can play it through any radio by remote or if the radio has cassette capability there's a cassette like adapter available for playing directly from the mp3 to the radio. Works great and portable from one place or car to another.

Im with these two!!! got an mp3 30gb holds to many songs, LOL. pics, does videos and has an fm radio! I love it. I got a fm transmitter then you can play it thru any fm radio any place, car home whatever. we take it outside when were working, I take it on walks, going to use it for the cookout music this fall  :lol:  

I hook the fm transmitter thru the lighter in the car (then it doesn't use batteries) then that goes into the player and it plays out of your car speakers.  It will play about 14hrs, more than enough for a road trip, recharge it at night and your good to go again!!

I can't see paying a monthly fee. and if you don't take your xm into the house in the winter months or your other car your actually paying for nothing.  Plus its the music YOU like, you can go to the library too  :lol:

Debb