engine help please

Started by 4t7rodman, March 17, 2004, 10:05:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

4t7rodman

hey there ya'll :D

I recently bought a chevy 350 motor about two weeks ago and I have it at my shop now.    

I don't know what year the engine is,  Is there a way to determine what year the motor is?

It came out of a '78 camaro but it has been rebuilt and has about 2000 miles on it.  the guy I bought it from bought the camaro about four years ago  and did not know what year engine was, he doesn't even know if that motor is the original motor for the camaro.  

thanks for your help! 8)

Fat Cat

Quote from: "4t7rodman"hey there ya'll :D

I recently bought a chevy 350 motor about two weeks ago and I have it at my shop now.    

I don't know what year the engine is,  Is there a way to determine what year the motor is?

It came out of a '78 camaro but it has been rebuilt and has about 2000 miles on it.  the guy I bought it from bought the camaro about four years ago  and did not know what year engine was, he doesn't even know if that motor is the original motor for the camaro.  

thanks for your help! 8)

Well the first thing you need to do is look at the block. On the front passenger side there is a pad with a series of letteres and numbers. In this code there is usually a 3 letter code like WTR or TKM. This number will give you the application. The other area is to look on the drivers side rear right above the trans mounting flange there is a block casting number. That will tell you what size and year it was manufactured.

Fat Cat

Quote from: "Crosley"fatcat... that engine picture sure looks familar. ;)

Dug it up out of the images from the old forums

Pope Downunder

Quote from: "Fat Cat"
Quote from: "4t7rodman"hey there ya'll :D

thanks for your help! 8)

Well the first thing you need to do is look at the block. On the front passenger side there is a pad with a series of letteres and numbers. In this code there is usually a 3 letter code like WTR or TKM. This number will give you the application. The other area is to look on the drivers side rear right above the trans mounting flange there is a block casting number. That will tell you what size and year it was manufactured.

. . .then go to http://www.mortec.com/ to decode it.

4t7rodman

Thank you all very much for your help,  much appreciated!!!!!  I have some homework to do now on figuring out all the numbers heh!!!  thanks again!!!!!!

Caleb

purplepickup

If Mortec doesn't have all the info you need you can try here.
here
George

4t7rodman

ok here's what I found out,  it is a 1975 350  either out of a van or a bus.

thanks for all your help!!

Caleb