new pictures

Started by sirstude, December 10, 2005, 06:57:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sirstude

Phil,

I did both the Studebaker and the Olds on the tires.  Didn't seem to have a problem, no extra bracing, and on the Olds, I cut out the rockers and replaced them, one at a time of course.  I have not tried the doors off the Buick yet, the the rusted out ones I had seem to still fit fine.  

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

sirstude

Phil,

The yard out here has a 41 Pontiac in it, fastback that is the big Pontiac, not the Chevy based one.

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

58 Yeoman

Quote from: "sirstude"Phil,

The yard out here has a 41 Pontiac in it, fastback that is the big Pontiac, not the Chevy based one.

Doug

Doug, I still need the hood center stripe, as mine isn't in the best of condition.  Could you check the one at the local yard for me?  I was also wondering if the Buick hood stripe would work, giving the car the bullnose look?  Is there one on your parts car?
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

sirstude

Phil,

The one piece missing on the Buick is the hood.  If it was there, I would adapt the side opening hood hinges to the Olds.  I love the way the Buicks open to the side.  I will check the yard this weekend if it does not snow and let you know about the chrome.

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

www.theicebreaker.us

enjenjo

The center of the buick hood is completely different, and the hoods are also different, not only in length, but the shape at the fender is different too. I may have a Pontiac center strip. I'll take a look.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

58 Yeoman

Thanks for the info, Frank.  Also, thanks to you and Doug for the 'look see'.  Hope something pops up.

Phil

sirstude

Phil,

Stopped by the yard yesterday, and got a few pictures.  It was starting to snow, so they are a bit fuzzy.  

Doug

1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

www.theicebreaker.us

58 Yeoman

Doug, that one looks to be in excellent condition.  Is it?  You didn't happen to ask him what he wanted for it, did you?  I'm assuming that since that one had an 8 in it, that it is the long wb car.  Mine was a 6, but still had the long wb; that bush on the right side got in the way of seeing the rear of the side of the hood, but it looks correct.  The hood ornament would be a nice addition, if it comes reasonably.

By excellent, I mean no dents or rust through.  Mine had a hole drilled towards the w/s, then they put in a metal screw to hold down the rear of the strip, instead of replacing the clips.  That one small hole screwed the whole strip; it was 'soldered', then plated, turned out terrible.  Re-done, and came out worse.

Phil

sirstude

Phil,

I have been looking at that car for the last 10 years, and everything looks good on it except the roof.  They would not talk about parts forever, but I noticed the last couple of year things have been coming off.  I will be having dinner this Wednesday with the guy that owns the yard (B.O.B. we are still doing Wednesday cruise nights and this is the Ford guy you met in York), and see what he want for it.  This is the big Pontiac, same body as my Olds, not the Chevrolet based Pontiac.  There is also a Big 47 Olds, and a big 47 Pontiac, that is pretty rough in this yard.  It took me forever to figure out the differences between the Chevrolet based and the Cadillac base models like ours.

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

www.theicebreaker.us

enjenjo

QuoteIt took me forever to figure out the differences between the Chevrolet based and the Cadillac base models

Yeah, me too. I was looking for garnish moldings and a rear window for a small one one time, found one in a junk yard, pulled the parts, $100, and when I got home none of them fit. I had to go back and do it again on the right model. :lol:  I couldn't find the correct windshield molding, so I decided to chop the one for a large car that I had.  I chopped it 2" and it fit, even the screw holes lined up! And it was just enough longer, that with careful grinding I was able to eliminate the center trim, so it fit with a V butted windshield.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

58 Yeoman

Looks like we all had our share of learning about these cars.  I had gone to Iowa a couple years ago, and 'bought' a 41 4dr sedan for a couple hundred, and they allowed me to strip all the parts that I wanted and leave the body there.  DUH...nothing fit.  Luckily, I was able to sell the fenders.  Frank, I had that rear window sitting around here for ages, but I think it's gone now, and it was probably different anyway.

The easiest way that I found to tell the diff between the large and small cars was to look at the rear edge of the front fenders; the small ones had a 'kick up' section right in front of the door, which made the hood shorter.  The large cars had the fenders go straight back to the door.  Worked for me.

Phil

sirstude

The side widow trim is what I notice.  The big cars go around the entire side area, both the door and quarter window.  The little cars wrap around each window, so look like the two pieces they are.

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

www.theicebreaker.us

58 Yeoman

Doug, has he given you a price yet?

Phil

sirstude

Hi Phil,

I talked to Buzz last night and he said that he would sell it, but did not know how much.  He was going to look at the car today and call me with a price and he did not.   I should have taken the camera with me last night so he knew which car it was.  
I just gave him a call and got no answer.  I am working on his wife's pc so one of them should be calling me yet tonight.  I will call him tomorrow at the yard if he does not call tonight.  

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

www.theicebreaker.us

sirstude

Phil,

Just got back from the yard.  I looked it over real good, no holes.  There is a dent about an inch abov the casting that runs around the front of the hood, If you look real good in the pictues you can kind of see it.  I was trying to crop it a bit and resend the picture, but don't have the software on this machine that works right. Anyway, he was 55 bucks for the chrome strip and the Indian.  The plastic on the indian has a couple of chips out of it.  Let me know what you think.  I can e-mail the original pictures to you if you want, they are 4 Megapixle pictures to begin with.

Doug

ps, If you want it, I can remove it and figure out how best to get to you.
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

www.theicebreaker.us