4wdb Q

Started by tomslik, December 10, 2005, 06:06:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomslik

OK, here's what i got;
79 g body frt stub+booster,87 camaro rear with disc.
my question is: can i use the splitter valve from the G body that had disc/drum brakes?
prolly use a 87 camaro m/c (new,i don't like used) on the booster but am i gonna have to scrounge up a different splitter valve?
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

enjenjo

The Camaro ana G body use the same brake parts in the front, so it should be ok, unless the weight distribution is way different.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

tomslik

Quote from: "enjenjo"The Camaro ana G body use the same brake parts in the front, so it should be ok, unless the weight distribution is way different.

great!
just wondering if there was an internal reason like a RPV....

tomslik

ok, 'nuther qestion;
is a splitter/prop valve even nessassary in a 4 wheel disc ap?

(M-II with 11 brakes and a 9" with explorer disc in a 51 dodge)

enjenjo

Strictly speaking, no. But it performs other functions too. It has a hold off function too that applies the front brakes first, a valve that shuts off one side or the other if you have a line break, and an outpt for a brake warning light.

In addition, just because there are discs at both ends does not mean that a proportioning valve isn't required. If the conditions of the original application are not duplicated, weight distibution, tire size and diameter, caliper piston size, and rotor diameter, the brakes may not work the same.

tomslik

Quote from: "enjenjo"Strictly speaking, no. But it performs other functions too. It has a hold off function too that applies the front brakes first, a valve that shuts off one side or the other if you have a line break, and an outpt for a brake warning light.

In addition, just because there are discs at both ends does not mean that a proportioning valve isn't required. If the conditions of the original application are not duplicated, weight distibution, tire size and diameter, caliper piston size, and rotor diameter, the brakes may not work the same.

okaaaay,any recomendation fora prop valve for this thing?
gotta buy a m/c for it anyway, thinking a 80-ish monte carlo would be a good place to start or do ya think a 4 wheel disc camaro might be a better choice?
booster/mc is on the f'wall...
ain't much room for a REAL booster underneath with the 5.7hemi and the bigass trans...
don't like 'em under there anyway.

enjenjo

Well, I would match the master cylinder with on from a 4 wheel disc Camaro. You should not need any other valves.

tomslik

Quote from: "enjenjo"Well, I would match the master cylinder with on from a 4 wheel disc Camaro. You should not need any other valves.
thanks, just needed a little advice..

blksheep

On my '57 Bel Air, I have disc front and rear. I use a 8" dual booster/1 1/8" m/c which are chrome tuff stuff units I got from Jegs. Bout $325.00. The prop valve is for a Disc/Disc set and necessary for the CORRECT front/rear brake pressures. Master Power Brakes has the prop valve and a good tech line, as well.The other very important factor, is that these boosters need at least 16" of vaccum to function properly. Remember, vaccum storage bottles or cans, don't make or enhance vaccum. If you  don't have a min. of 16" of vaccum, don't expect great results. If you order the booster/master cyl. unit from Jeg's, make sure you specify that you want an 1 1/8" master cylinder. The unit p# is 908-2123NA, but tell them you want M/C p#908-2071NA, (1 1/8" unit) instead of the 1" unit.
If you use this combo, be sure your grille, headlights, bumpers and other front end pieces are securely fastened when you apply the brakes for the 1st time. Given you have the vaccum, you will be very happy.
Good Luck..... :D

blksheep...."I have the control to stop any time She tells me to".....in Charlotte