Question about my rear end???

Started by 40, December 08, 2005, 06:59:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Well....That should get a few people to open this :P  I have got nearly all of the drips taken care of on the 36.However,the 3rd member is still seeping a little around the bolts that hold it to the housing.I installed a new gasket and used some shellac type sealer and it doesn't appear to be leaking by the gasket but rather right around the bolts.It's a Currie rear and was assembled with the bolts and lock washers that came with it.It appears the lube is leaking by the split in the lock washer???....I'm thinking that there should be some type of flat or perhaps a crush-type washer prior to the lock washer to totally seal against the pumpkin???Any thoughts??Thanks!! Oh Yeah.....Had to blow the snow off the drive again today for the 5th time already this year....I'm sure glad it's not Winter for a couple of weeks yet :roll:
"The one who dies with the most friends wins"

tomslik

Quote from: "40"Well....That should get a few people to open this :P  I have got nearly all of the drips taken care of on the 36.However,the 3rd member is still seeping a little around the bolts that hold it to the housing.I installed a new gasket and used some shellac type sealer and it doesn't appear to be leaking by the gasket but rather right around the bolts.It's a Currie rear and was assembled with the bolts and lock washers that came with it.It appears the lube is leaking by the split in the lock washer???....I'm thinking that there should be some type of flat or perhaps a crush-type washer prior to the lock washer to totally seal against the pumpkin???Any thoughts??Thanks!! Oh Yeah.....Had to blow the snow off the drive again today for the 5th time already this year....I'm sure glad it's not Winter for a couple of weeks yet :roll:

3/8" copper washers are what's supposed to be on the lower studs.
won't hurt to us 'em on ALL the studs, though...

they're available from ford or find some at napa (or other parts store)
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

Bob K

Sombody's gotta say it !!!!!!!!

That car make's it look fat.  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

B :D B
Have you ever wondered how your mother knew enough about people like me to warn you about us?

Charlie Chops 1940

Tom is correct. Just copper washer are sufficient and should stop the seepage.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

Thanks guys! I must have had a brain fart....All I needed to do was go out to the shop and look at one of the other cars....Duh!! Actually...I looked at a couple...one has lock washers,one doesn't.....Locks??Yes or No??
"That car makes it look fat".....That's cuz IT IS  :shock:

soldermonkey

Ford didn't feel the need for lock washers, only the copper washers on all the studs followed by the proper nuts.

dave

Charlie Chops 1940

A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

Mr Cool

Quote from: "40"Well....That should get a few people to open this :P
It got my attention.
QuoteI have got nearly all of the drips taken care of
Been eating something that doesnt agree with you I rekon.
QuoteHowever,the 3rd member is still seeping a little around the bolts that hold it to the housing.
Tighten your nuts, you dont want your 3rd member having any sort of problems.
QuoteIt's a Currie rear
So thats what youve been eating?
get some cornflour into ya, that'll thicken it up.
QuoteIt appears the lube is leaking by the split
Too much information there i think.
QuoteI'm thinking that there should be some type of flat or perhaps a crush-type washer prior to the lock washer to totally seal against the pumpkin???Any thoughts??Thanks!!
So now you have a fetish for fruit and veges too?

I think you need to go see a doctor.

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

sorry, couldnt help myself.  :oops:
Im nobody, right?
And dont forget, nobody\'s perfect.

rumrumm

My 9 inch center section leaked as well until I found that you had to use copper washers. Since I installed those (along with nylon lock nuts) there has been no seeping whatsoever.
Lynn
'32 3W

I write novels, too. https://lsjohanson.com

HotRodLadyCrusr

I have seen your rear end.  It's a might fine looking rear end I might add.  I wouldn't change at thing.....even if it does leak alittle. :wink:
Your topless crusn buddy, Denise

Looking for old good for nothing flathead heads to use for garden project.

rumrumm

Quote from: "HotRodLadyCrusr"I have seen your rear end.  It's a might fine looking rear end I might add.  I wouldn't change at thing.....even if it does leak alittle. :wink:

Ewwww!
Lynn
'32 3W

I write novels, too. https://lsjohanson.com

Out of all of the people on this board......I'm REALLY GLAD Denise is the one who likes my rear.....However,It was SUPPOSED to be our secret :oops:

enjenjo

Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Geeez Frank......You can't keep a secret either......Now everyone knows about us :shock:

enjenjo

Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.