Silverado defroster

Started by Rayvyn, December 07, 2005, 06:15:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rayvyn

I have a 2003 Silverado P/U that has been running great since I bought it. The only problem is when I turn the selector knob to defrost, the air comtinues to come out of the vents facing the seats. The temperature is working fine, as is the recirculation button and the A/C. It just won't switch the airflow to the other vents when the knob is turned.

All fuses are fine, and no codes come up stating a problem. I'm thinking it can't be vacuum controlled, it has to be an electric or cable problem with the knob itself. All vents on the outside facing below the windshield are clear of any debris.

Any suggestions before I rip the dash apart to see...??
Thanks in advance.
T "R"
***SFC-Team Smart***

What can a bird do that a man can\'t?

Whistle through his pecker...

Dave

Quote from: "Rayvyn"I have a 2003 Silverado P/U that has been running great since I bought it. The only problem is when I turn the selector knob to defrost, the air comtinues to come out of the vents facing the seats. The temperature is working fine, as is the recirculation button and the A/C. It just won't switch the airflow to the other vents when the knob is turned.

All fuses are fine, and no codes come up stating a problem. I'm thinking it can't be vacuum controlled, it has to be an electric or cable problem with the knob itself. All vents on the outside facing below the windshield are clear of any debris.

Thanks in advance.
T "R"

They sell duct tape down there ?
Dave
ps: If you dont get it figured out lemme know Ive got a buddy that owns a chevy dealership and I can ask the head wrench... he is good and maybe has an answer.

Rayvyn

Quote from: "N8DC"
Quote from: "Rayvyn"I have a 2003 Silverado P/U that has been running great since I bought it. The only problem is when I turn the selector knob to defrost, the air comtinues to come out of the vents facing the seats. The temperature is working fine, as is the recirculation button and the A/C. It just won't switch the airflow to the other vents when the knob is turned.

Thanks in advance.
T "R"

They sell duct tape down there ?
Dave
ps: If you dont get it figured out lemme know Ive got a buddy that owns a chevy dealership and I can ask the head wrench... he is good and maybe has an answer.

No duct tape left. We used it all to hold our roofs down when the storms popped up. FEMA promised more, but....... :(

Anyway, you might as well ask him. I've been on the phone with my dealer here, and he can't see it for 2 weeks, and I'd have to leave it for the day. I don't use the thing except for maybe 2 weeks in January, so it's not a pressing issue. I thought maybe someone had run into the same problem before and knew a shortcut. Thanks in advance.
Bryan
BTW-you heading straight to the islands in Jan., or stopping in Fla on the way?
***SFC-Team Smart***

SKR8PN

Brian........take the lower cover off on the bottom of the passengers side....the one that serves as a kick panel for the BOTTOM of the heater box. Right near the center of the truck,you will see a small black box with an electrical connector on it. Just for the heck of it,with the truck running and the heater on,try unplugging it,and then, plug it back in........if that doesn't work try pecking on it with a small hammer.......I just ran into this the other day on a 1999,so yours may not be the same.
If we are what we eat.........
Then I am fast,cheap and easy.

Rayvyn

Quote from: "SKR8PN"Brian........take the lower cover off on the bottom of the passengers side....the one that serves as a kick panel for the BOTTOM of the heater box. Right near the center of the truck,you will see a small black box with an electrical connector on it. Just for the heck of it,with the truck running and the heater on,try unplugging it,and then, plug it back in........if that doesn't work try pecking on it with a small hammer.......I just ran into this the other day on a 1999,so yours may not be the same.

I'll give it shot in the morning.
Moochos Grassyus... :D
***SFC-Team Smart***

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "Rayvyn"

sheeesh , no need to shoot the ol truck yet

8)
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

purplepickup

DeFROSTer??  I didn't think you guys in Florida even knew you had one :wink:  

Mine blows a little out the sides to keep the side window clear too so's I can see out the mirrors.  Ya, we got LOTS of frost right now. :|
George

phat rat

yep there be frost on the pumkin this morning it's 0 degrees. Think I'll have too use my defroster on the way to work
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

Rayvyn

Quote from: "purplepickup"DeFROSTer??  I didn't think you guys in Florida even knew you had one :wink:  

Mine blows a little out the sides to keep the side window clear too so's I can see out the mirrors.  Ya, we got LOTS of frost right now. :|

We had a cold front come through a few days ago. It dropped down to 66*, and the warm rainy weather made it necessary to use the defroster.  :cry:

I have the side vents too, but the air comes out the front only. I'll be checkin' Skr8pn's clues first, then a total chop,cut,rebuild will happen to the dash. :x  

I need to get these working...What if our temps drop down into the high 50's...?  :shock:
What would a person do in such drastic conditions without defrosters...? :P  :P  :P  :lol:  :lol:
***SFC-Team Smart***

Rayvyn

Quote from: "Crosley"
Quote from: "Rayvyn"

sheeesh , no need to shoot the ol truck yet

8)

I'm giving it until midnite tonite, then Mr. Glock comes out to say a few words. :shock:
Then we pay a visit to mr. dealer.......unannounced. :evil:  :wink:  :D
***SFC-Team Smart***

Rayvyn

Quote from: "SKR8PN"Brian........take the lower cover off on the bottom of the passengers side....the one that serves as a kick panel for the BOTTOM of the heater box. Right near the center of the truck,you will see a small black box with an electrical connector on it. Just for the heck of it,with the truck running and the heater on,try unplugging it,and then, plug it back in........if that doesn't work try pecking on it with a small hammer.......I just ran into this the other day on a 1999,so yours may not be the same.

I tried disconnecting the plugs under the kick panel with the truck running. No luck. I found the main harness plug for the heater unit controls and tried the same on it, but no luck.
I pried, ripped and tore the dash apart and removed the control unit. The knobs are mounted on a circuit board. I called the service guy, and he stated the contacts probably wore out in the knob. Amazing, because I've only used that knob maybe 10 times in 3 years.
Anyhow, the whole unit has to be replaced since it's all on 1 board, but it simply plugs into the harness on the back so replacing it isn't too time consuming.
I covered up the grinder, saw and torch marks pretty well when I reinstalled it so no one will I had it apart. Now the million dollar question is: how long will it take to get a new one?
Injection molded plastic containing electronics, making for an unservicable part...probably designed by Forrest Gump himself when he worked for Delphi...ya gotta love it. :?  :)

Thanks for the tips. Much appreciated... :D  :D  :D
***SFC-Team Smart***

Crosley.In.AZ

makes you wonder how Delphi could be going belly up?  Mayb GM too?

:shock:

I've heard the control units are about 300 dollars american..... never bought one.  I just buy new trucks.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

OldSub

Quote from: "Rayvyn"I don't use the thing except for maybe 2 weeks in January, so it's not a pressing issue.

Duh... I originally read that to mean you only use the truck 2 weeks in January...  I use my truck and defrost both September to April.

Steve@OldSub.com
www.OldSub.com . www.MaxwellGarage.com . www.OldGasTowRigs.com

Rayvyn

Quote from: "Crosley"makes you wonder how Delphi could be going belly up?  Mayb GM too?

:shock:

I've heard the control units are about 300 dollars american..... never bought one.  I just buy new trucks.

Turns out it was an electronic actuator that overheated and burned out the rheostat in the control board. One of the flapper doors got stuck somewhere in the unit, and the rest is history. Total bill of $447.00. The service mgr., idiot extrodinaire, tried to bill me for the actuator, and the tech having to calibrate the unit with the vent doors. We had a battle, which he lost when I produced the warranty paperwork, and then I got mad, went to another dealer and traded the thing in for a 2006 ext. cab.  They just hate it when you show up unannounced and ready for a fight... :evil:  :x  :D
***SFC-Team Smart***

SKR8PN

Wish you woulda called me........I'da give you at LEAST a hunderd bucks fer that ole wreck........ :shock:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
Bet the ashtray was even full,huh?
If we are what we eat.........
Then I am fast,cheap and easy.