Need advice on...

Started by ripper, December 07, 2005, 08:34:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ripper

Camaro front ends.
Hoping to secure a 41 Chevy Coupe with a Camaro front end. Is set up left hand drive but to get license plates where I am I have to convert it to right hand drive. Easiest way is to go Rack & Pinion (probably a power rack) & just wondering if any Camaros used a rack & pinion or were they all steering baxes?

Not sure what year the Camaro front end is & can't ID it yet as it's a couple of thousand kilometres from here.

Just wondering whether to go front mount rack (like a cortina) or rear mount rack like commodore.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Oh & I have Carps to thank for this latest aquisition.
Thanks big fella!!! ;-)

Cheers
ripper
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
May The Vehicle You Use To Get There Become The Reason For Going!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

GPster

Those clips used to be popular around here and they were used in a lot more vehicles than you might imagine. I would think that maybe there are some remnants of another vehicle that you might find parts off and make a factory like conversion. GM started using those clips in '68 in Camaros, Firebirds and Novas. Those clips were "rear steer" with the steering box behind the axel centerline. Somewhere along the line ('71?) the Camaros and Firebirds went to "front steer" but the Novas stayed "rear steer" a few more years ('73?). When the Novas became "front steer" some other clones appeared in the GM line with a Nova style body line. The steering boxes where the same as the box in the bigger GM cars but the pittman arms where different. You'd have to use the arm that is on the "stub" and use it on an left side (Assie) box but it would have to be the same type (Standard or Power) and swap the center link and idler arm side for side. You're also looking at moving the gas pedal, instruments, brake pedal and clutch pedal if it's standard. You might want to re-frame this thing. My advise is never 100% but I usually get things started by making suggestions. GPster

rumrumm

Check this out:

www.flamingriver.com

They have a rack and pinion cradle for 67-'69 Camaros. If nothing else, it may give you some ideas.
Lynn
'32 3W

I write novels, too. https://lsjohanson.com

enjenjo

If it's rear steer, it fairly easy to install a rack, if it's front steer, it gets more complicated, but I have seen it done.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

mrloboy

We are currently building a '60 Olds for a customer Sidney, NSW. He informed me that rules have changed in that area regarding LH vs. RH drive. There is a cut-off year ('70's?) regarding the requirement. Your '41 would certainly apply.

He opted to do the conversion anyway, as he felt it would be more comfortable to drive and the resale value would be enhanced. The car owner shipped us a RH rack from a Holden (model?). It is for a rear steer system and apparently a common donor for a project of this size.

Rear steer clips are found on '67-'69 Camaro & Firebirds as well as '68 to '74 Nova. The front steer assemblies are found on 70-81 Camaro/Firebird. The Novas used these from 75 and up 'til they moved the nova name to a FWD car. Not sure of the year. The wheel track on the front steer is a bit wider than the early clip and the big GM box can be a real pain to fit inside the front fender and radiator on the early Chevies.  

As GPster pointed out, the steering gear is only a small part of the conversion. The column, dash, controls must also all be reversed. The '41 Dash is quite simple and straight forward, making the conversion a bit easier. We had a custom insert built at Dakota Digital to fit the original dash. The original steering column & wheel were retained to keep the interior in a '60's style. I purchased an IDIDIT column/cable shift assembly, but haven't installed it yet. Looks like a good fix for the project.

ripper

In Western Australia staying LHD in a rod is not an issue...you just can't do it. W.A. is operating properly under the National Guidelines & licensed as a street rod it must be right hand drive.

If it were a unrestored "A" class 41, yep I could leave it LHD sorry no option plus I want to go down the SR License.

Cheers for that I'll check it out

GPster

"Dumb idea of the day" (it's still early) There are driver training vehicles and handicap user vehicles and even rural mail delivery vehicles that have been outfitted to operate from both sides. Maybe there are some "offbeat" ideas in these adaptions that you could use. If this car has a SBC (or whatever you call them) you might find it hard to get a steering shaft down that side because the starter uses more room than the oil filter and the exhaust is usually place far enough away from the starter so that there is no heat problem. Now for the "dumb" idea. Late model chevy      4 X 4 truck around here have the steering box mounted to the outside of the frame. To me it looks like a standard box except for the mounting bosses. If you put it on the other side it would be on the inside of the frame and I figure something could be done to come up with a pittman arm. And another dump thought. If you go to power steering pay attention to what side the pump is mounted on the engine. You could create a plumbing nightmare. GPster

ripper

Cheers for that...more ideas never hurt

For me it's the thinking that really hurts ;-)

tomslik

Quote from: "ripper"Cheers for that...more ideas never hurt

For me it's the thinking that really hurts ;-)

oKay... how about the obvious.
did they make a export rhd camaro/nova/chevelle/etc?
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

ripper

ahh not that I know of, but it'll probably be less easy but more practical to go with a readible available local rack in case it ever stuffs up.

If it's a front mounted rack I've been told either a Ford Cortina or a Volvo.
Just have to find out if there's a power rack version that'll fit ok.

If it's a rear mounted rack (which I'm tinking & hoping it more likely gunna be) then it just gets easier still. Maybe Holden Commodore etc...

I'll just have to wait n see I guess.

I just assumed they'd all be rear mounted, but thought maybe there might have been some front mounted.

Oh well joys of it al hahaha

Mr Cool

Ripper, if it helps any, the camaro f/end is very similar to the HQ-HZ holden style front end, but narrower. the first time I saw one it had me scratching my head, as I thought it was a narrowed HQ.
Steering linkages etc are also similar.
Give Peter Koning at Hoppers Stoppers a call (03 9748 6950), he has had a fair bit to do with those as he has done a few conversions for steering and of course brakes.
Im nobody, right?
And dont forget, nobody\'s perfect.

ripper

if it helps any???

helps big time mucho plenty  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

hoppers have a very good name too so yeah mate, helps primo big time.

(The amount of middies I'll have to buy when I get to the nats would enough to get bondy out the poop :-) )

EMSjunkie

Quote from: "ripper"if it helps any???

(The amount of middies I'll have to buy when I get to the nats would enough to get bondy out the poop :-) )

Ya'all are scarin me with this here funny talk 'n stuff  :shock:

not sure if I should laugh, or be offended  :oops:

this here is 'Merica by golly, over here ya gotta speak spanish  :?

Vance
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****

ripper

haha yeah soory dude, just saying the amount of large glasses of beer I'll have to buy at the Street Rod Nats as a return favour for all the advice is a whole lot.

Alan Bond was in the biggest corporate theft in Aussie history...in the billions I think :-)

Ha there y'all go...I'm a translator but no speaka da spanish.

I try to speak hot rod but after a few drinks I have been known to speak very fluent rubbish hahaha

tomslik

Quote from: "EMSjunkie"
Quote from: "ripper"if it helps any???

Ya'all are scarin me with this here funny talk 'n stuff  :shock:

not sure if I should laugh, or be offended  :oops:

this here is 'Merica by golly, over here ya gotta speak spanish  :?

Vance

ain't THAT the truth!!!!
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list