1930-34 Model A pickup cab bodies?

Started by Broncobilly, December 05, 2005, 12:41:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Broncobilly

Anyone know of any vendors offering either steel or glass, 1930-34 Ford Model A or B pickup cab bodies?  Also, any good recommendations for model A frame kits?  Preferably weld your-self types.  

TIA,  
Broncobilly :D
TIA,
Broncobilly :)

rumrumm

Quote from: "Broncobilly"Anyone know of any vendors offering either steel or glass, 1930-34 Ford Model A or B pickup cab bodies?  Also, any good recommendations for model A frame kits?  Preferably weld your-self types.  

You can build a Model A frame from 2"X4" rectangular tubing. I did for my '29 roadster some years ago. You can get the dimensions by going to www.wescottsauto.com which has all of the frame dimentions for early Fords. But it is next to impossible to build your own '32-'34 frames due to the compound curves.

Brookville roadster makes steel roadster p/u bodies--very nice. I only know of two manufacturers that offer closed cab glass bodies--a '33 stretched cab available from Speedway, but you have to buy their kit, and another manufacturer that makes a '34 crew cab, but I don't know anything about it other than the advertisements I used to see in magazines.
Lynn
'32 3W

I write novels, too. https://lsjohanson.com

flamefink

If you're looking for a Model A pickup, Gibbons makes a 30/31 Closed Cab that looks pretty good. I saw one built as a  rat rod in their booth at L'ville last year and was surprised to find that it was glass. It's really good copy of a stock cab just with the proper reinforcing and a few safety updates.

It can be found here:
http://www.gibbonfiberglass.com/bodies/30_31_ClosedCabPickup.asp
They also offer rolling packages too.

If its just a chassis you're looking for and you decide to build a Model A, the aftermarket companies have some pretty good deals on perimeter chassis with just front and rear cross members as well as chassis that are ready to bolt your suspension to, drop in a motor and bolt down your body. Brookville Roadster and TCI both offer a really nice chassis. You might want to check into them first before diving into trying to build one from scratch. I weighed my options when I built my car and found that for just a little bit more than the cost of materials, I could buy a chassis that I know is strait and has all my holes and mounting points for my body to bolt right downt to.
Do you need a tetanus shot to ride in that thing?

rumrumm

I heard Gibbon filed for bankruptcy, so you might not be able to get that cab anymore. I don't know whether they are re-organizing or simply went belly-up. Someone else may know the details.
Lynn
'32 3W

GPster

Quote from: "flamefink"If you're looking for a Model A pickup, Gibbons makes a 30/31 Closed Cab that looks pretty good. I saw one built as a  rat rod in their booth at L'ville last year and was surprised to find that it was glass. http://www.gibbonfiberglass.com/bodies/30_31_ClosedCabPickup.asp
They also offer rolling packages too
From the advertisements I've seen it was designed as a "Rat Rod" and has a channeled frame with kick ups that and probably not designed to fit a stock type frame with provisions for all the incidentials (fenders) If that's what you want there's a place to go. GPster

flamefink

Quote from: "GPster"From the advertisements I've seen it was designed as a "Rat Rod" and has a channeled frame with kick ups that and probably not designed to fit a stock type frame with provisions for all the incidentials (fenders) If that's what you want there's a place to go. GPster

If you go to the link I supplied, you'll see that the body they list is specified for a full fendered version of the truck. The rolling package page even lists a full-fendered roller. I saw one of the channneled versions on ebay a while back, and according to the description it was one of a limited run of them with a cast in channeled floor and reversed stock style firewall. The truck I saw at L'ville was rat rod style, but it was on the rails like Henry intended.

Quote from: "rumrumm"I heard Gibbon filed for bankruptcy, so you might not be able to get that cab anymore. I don't know whether they are re-organizing or simply went belly-up. Someone else may know the details.
As for the bankruptcy, I have no idea of the details. I guess the best way to find out the total truth is to contact them directly.
Do you need a tetanus shot to ride in that thing?

Broncobilly

Thanks all for the input!  I tried the Gibbon's link, looks like the domain is up for sale.  Can get any of the links for their bodies to work either, so it looks like they went out of business?
I think I am going to keep a look out for an original A cab, which is in repairable condition.  I probably will pick up a completed A frame, as by the time materials are obtained (with the current cost of steel), you will probably be fairly close to what an assembled frame will cost.

TIA,
Broncobilly
TIA,

Broncobilly

Oh,
Anyone know is American Stamping has a web site?  I hear they make pretty good frame rails.

TIA,
Broncbilly
TIA,

rumrumm

They  do  not have a website, but there contact information is as follows:

American Stamping
8650 Mid-South Drive
Oilve Branch, MS 38654
(662) 895-5300
Lynn
'32 3W

Broncobilly

Lynn,
Thanks for the contact info for American Stamping!

Broncobilly :D
TIA,