Early Ford V-8 Emblem????

Started by 40, December 05, 2005, 11:36:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I am looking for a chrome Early V-8 emblem to mount on the dash of my 36 in the area that was previously occupied by the ash tray.A few years ago I did this on a 35 dash and it looked awesome.....unfortunately,I'm getting old and don't recall what the emblem was from.I thought perhaps it was a headlight bar emblem from a 32....I located one of those in my pile of junk and although it looks like what I want,the mounting is wrong and it won't lay flat against the dash.I am thinking it might have been a hood ornament from a 34 pickup or perhaps a grill ornament from a 33 car?Just wondering if any one is familiar or has access to a vehicle to varify?The one I'm looking for is flat and has a couple of mounting studs on the back.Thanks!!
"The one who dies with the most friends wins"

Rochie

Daryle,
try a Ford explorer or such.  I think you'll finid what you want on the tailgate.  I saw one just this morning and was thinking how much it looked like a V8 on a 32 headlight bar.  And the nice thing about this is it's plastic and can be massaged with a little heat to make it lay against the dash.
Rochie

Okiedokie

I'll bet a cruise thru Bob Drakes catalog [or others] will find the one you want. Not a V8 emblem, but one that  has a similar look and fits flat is 41 pickup hood side emblem [ or was it dash???] that has FORD script. I picked one up at a swap meet for that eventual spot I might find. Joe

Uncle Bob

I'll second the Explorer suggestion.  I think it was just on the 2003/4 versions, not exactly sure about that though.  Probably an adhesive backed piece, so if you wanted to do something different in the future you wouldn't have to fill holes and refinish.  If memory serves correctly it's only slightly taller than the one from a '32 headlight bar.
Luck occurs when preparation and opportunity meet.

Thanks for the Explorer suggestion.....I've not seen one or at least paid any attention to it.The fact that it's adhesive backed sounds good....the next owner of this car might not have my good tastes and he could remove it.I'll head off to our Ford dealer soon and see if they can come up with one....Thanks again!

Of course our Mickey Mouse Ford dealer didn't have one in stock.Looking at a picture of one in the catalog,It appears to be just what I'm looking for.He said he would have to locate one at another dealer as they were no longer being stocked by Ford.....$20 if he can find one.....I'll know the first part of next week....these parts guys are soooo efficient :roll:  Thanks again for the help!!

Roadstar

I just saw one of those emblems on the tailgate of a newer Explorer.

It's way cool and old looking, I can't believe I never noticed them before.

Well.....They located an emblem for me and it looks like it'll work OK.I am somewhat dissappointed with the quality....It is a very light weight piece of plastic.It has a bit of a contour to it so I'll have to massage it a little with the heat gun to get it to lay flat. I'll get it installed and post a photo.

Just thought I'd post a picture and let you see how the Explorer emblem looks on the 36 dash. Sorry for the poor quality of the photo!

enjenjo

Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Uncle Bob

Luck occurs when preparation and opportunity meet.

Rochie

Daryle,
NOBODY but you and I and a couple of other guys know it's plastic. It looks like it grew there.
Rochie

Okiedokie

COOL! Gonna get one myself. Joe

Wayne....Thanks again for the "heads up"!
Joe....The part # is  1L2Z  7842528 NA                                             Our local dealer had a bit of a hard time locating one but...then again....they have a hard time locating the morning coffee :roll:

Okiedokie