window felt

Started by docchevy, December 04, 2005, 08:42:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

docchevy

Does anybody have any ideas on replacing window felt? ... sources? The driver's side on my Camaro has gotten so bad it won't go up.  I found pieces in the door.  I replaced the motor and the switch and they work but the friction is just too great.
Remember; Physics explains everything!

Rayvyn

Quote from: "docchevy"Does anybody have any ideas on replacing window felt? ... sources? The driver's side on my Camaro has gotten so bad it won't go up.  I found pieces in the door.  I replaced the motor and the switch and they work but the friction is just too great.

Hey Doc,
This may sound a little goofy, but on my 37 Plymouth and 63 Monterey I took out the tracks from the openings, discarded all of the old felt, and hot glued on some of that colored rope you find in the craft shops. It comes in all colors and sizes and adds a nice touch to the windows. It's also soft enough not to cause any binding. Worked like a charm each time...Try Michaels or Jo-Ann fabrics.
I had a hard time finding the same stuff, and was on a last resort mission when I found the stuff.
Hope this helps. :D
***SFC-Team Smart***

What can a bird do that a man can\'t?

Whistle through his pecker...

enjenjo

There are several sources, Steele Rubber, Metro molded products, JCWhitney, Restoration Supply, all carry many types of window felts.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Try your local auto glass dealer.We have a couple of local shops that carry a large variety of felts and channels.They also have access to many other styles.Year One or The Paddock are a couple of suppliers that I used while restoring my 68 Firebird.....They would be able to help also.Good Luck!
"The one who dies with the most friends wins"

Dave

Quote from: "Rayvyn"
Quote from: "docchevy"Does anybody have any ideas on replacing window felt? ... sources? The driver's side on my Camaro has gotten so bad it won't go up.  I found pieces in the door.  I replaced the motor and the switch and they work but the friction is just too great.

Hey Doc,
This may sound a little goofy, but on my 37 Plymouth and 63 Monterey I took out the tracks from the openings, discarded all of the old felt, and hot glued on some of that colored rope you find in the craft shops. It comes in all colors and sizes and adds a nice touch to the windows. It's also soft enough not to cause any binding. Worked like a charm each time...Try Michaels or Jo-Ann fabrics.
I had a hard time finding the same stuff, and was on a last resort mission when I found the stuff.

Is that the same stuff you sewed on your new outfit when you came up to hang out with frank at kzoo?
Boy it sure was purty and frank liked it too. :lol:
Dave

Rayvyn

Quote from: "N8DC"

Hey Doc,

Is that the same stuff you sewed on your new outfit when you came up to hang out with frank at kzoo?
Dave

Yeah, but I had to toss it out after the 1st night because I woke up at 3:00 am to some strange noises. It was Frank, fingering my felt in the middle of the night while I was sleeping... :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Actually the stuff works pretty good, and it's a great deal cheaper than buying the OEM stuff.
They make it in a burnt orange too, so it'll match your hot rod. Try it. No one will laugh. Since the folks up north claim your car only comes out 2 weekends a year, I figure hardly anyone will ever notice it... :shock:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
***SFC-Team Smart***

Dave

Hey Doc,

Dave

Yeah, but I had to toss it out after the 1st night because I woke up at 3:00 am to some strange noises. It was Frank, fingering my felt in the middle of the night while I was sleeping... :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Actually the stuff works pretty good, and it's a great deal cheaper than buying the OEM stuff.
They make it in a burnt orange too, so it'll match your hot rod. Try it. No one will laugh. Since the folks up north claim your car only comes out 2 weekends a year, I figure hardly anyone will ever notice it... :shock:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Ha Ha  :lol:  This is war now Buddy .. I had the 32 out 4 weekends this summer Thank You...
Im not goona touch the deal with frank and your felt :?:
Dave :P

Rayvyn

Ha Ha  :lol:  This is war now Buddy .. I had the 32 out 4 weekends this summer Thank You...

Lightweight... :oops:

We've got 94 year old wimmen down here that make it out to Wal-Mart 4 weekends every month... :P

That's the only car I know that has to be checked for bedsores before it leaves the garage because it sits for so long... :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
***SFC-Team Smart***

Kctom

Lightweight... :oops:

We've got 94 year old wimmen down here that make it out to Wal-Mart 4 weekends every month... :P

That's the only car I know that has to be checked for bedsores before it leaves the garage because it sits for so long... :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

A lot of the auto fabric suppy stores carry the fuzzy window channel.