Last nites Rides episode

Started by HotRodLadyCrusr, March 17, 2004, 01:45:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HotRodLadyCrusr

Last nite's episode of "Rides" was another fine hour of TV viewing,  It was entitled "The Road to the Ridler" and followed alittle of the buildup of 4 out of the 30 something possible Ridler contenders, along with awesome insight into the ISCA judging process.  Both Roadstar and I were shocked actually with how much of the process they did show.  You heard and saw the judges pointing out what was "wrong" with quite a few of the "Great Eight" contenders and the reasons why the steel '37 was  awarded the "Ridler" winner title.

I think it's on again tonight at 11pm and I'm sure at some point this weekend.  Another not to be missed show.

Oh yeah, Roadstar's VooDoo Child was shown about half a dozens times in the background of the "copperish" colored Willys truck.  It was very cool to see it in the program.  He's thrilled and very proud, rightly so.
Your topless crusn buddy, Denise

Looking for old good for nothing flathead heads to use for garden project.

river1

great show for all the reasons denise mentioned.

i like the reason the sqeeky voice head of scotts hotrods gave for waiting till next year to submit their car for the Ridler.

paraphrasing here-- we wanted to wait so we could compete against Foose one on one--

not that i'm an expert but he obviously has NO idea how the Ridler competition works it is not a one on one competition. also he obviously vastly over estimates his shops skill if he thinks he is even on the same level as Foose.

all the above is my personel opinion

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

HotRodLadyCrusr

Not only your opinion but most of us as well.  I wonder if he realizes how really foolish he sounded making those comments.  I'd bet money on him not even making the "Great Eight" next year IF he even manages to get it here.  Some have no clue what it actually takes, skill and money wise.

Dave

Was interesting to know that the willys didnt make it the first time around.
Sue and I thought it was funny when the winner said the just couldnt talk while he was on the stage??????????? Ha Ha I thought he was never going to quit. Great program and nice cars but I just dont see the point in a million dollar car to win a gm crate motor and 7,500 dollars. Maybe its just me LOL... I missed monster garage the other nite but i see its on again   friday at 6pm and ill be watching prolly out in the garage. Thats one ive gotta see.
Dave :b-d:

av8

Quote from: "HotRodLadyCrusr"I think it's on again tonight at 11pm and I'm sure at some point this weekend.  Another not to be missed show.

Thanks for the heads-up, Denise. I watched the Rides episode with Foose's crew building the HotWheels surf wagon last night, obviously a rerun, but very interesting.

There's little doubt that Chip could have been a major force in new-car design had that been his chosen path. Thankfully, he opted to hang out closer to home, closer to the cars he grew up with. I think of Chip as modern-day Gordon Beuhrig.

river1

Quote from: "HotRodLadyCrusr"Not only your opinion but most of us as well.  I wonder if he realizes how really foolish he sounded making those comments.  I'd bet money on him not even making the "Great Eight" next year IF he even manages to get it here.  Some have no clue what it actually takes, skill and money wise.

i put the disclaimer to prevent (in this day and age) any possible trouble for the franks. you should of read what i first wrote  :shock:  that really needed the disclaimer :D

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

unklian

"...compete against Foose one on one" :shock:

No contest.  :roll:

jakesbackyard

It's absolutely amazing the attention to detail that goes into a million dollar car. It was an interesting show. It also gave an inkling into the politics of an indoor show where awards are at stake.

I love to go see the indoor show cars, but give me an outdoor, check-em-out close, lay on the ground and look underneath, watch-em-cruise-by and enjoy a cold one in the lawn chair at the same time rod run any time!
And the great thing is you drive one there to be there!

Just one more opinion....
Jake

Fift4fe

Excellent program..the behind the scenes discussions and opinions that take place between the judges was interesting.  When it gets down to the nitty gritty they pretty well pick the cars apart.  It was interesting when the one judge just about said about the red and black speedster that it was just a ***** bodied car with big wheels, nothing special.  

Seen myself and my son walking in the crowd.

The Ridler winner said he had around $65,000 in his display.  IN HIS DISPLAY..................That was amazing to me. . . . It looked good, but $65,000? ? ? Well, I guess its his money.  Someone probably spent as much time designing his display as someone spent desiging the car.  But then again whats 65 Gs to a person that spends $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ on the car.

Ill be there next year
OVER!
OVER?

Did we say it was over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

Phat

Just from watching(and no way can i know for sure)  But it seemed that 2 -3 guys are the ones that decided it...the politics is what won that one.  The roadster was and awful nice peice.  But hell what can you tell from TV.  I sure as hell would not want to have my car picked apart like that on TV  LOL  It was refreshing to see a latemodel(somewhat) Nova get a little bit of TV time/press.  All them can be pretty proud.  Look forward to the day when i retire from a seasonal bussiness that i can attend some of the winter show. I am not a trailer queen person but do like to see the builds.  Now is the Foose car and squeaky able to go for the award next year.  I thought they could not be shown during build or anything to be able to go for it?(publicly as in looking for sponcer dollars as was clearly being done) Too much cake for me LOL I dont even want a house that cost half what those cars do.
Old racers go in deep and come out hard

jaybee

That one's still on the Tivo.  I'm recording off saved episodes now and as I type this I'm watching the show on Steve Moal's shop.  If I had unlimited funds to have a car custom built It would be hard to choose between a Moal production or one that Chip Foose designed and supervised.  Then again Troy Trepanier does some awesome work.  The shop truck for Scott's was interesting and pretty neat, but for me it doesn't say "I wouldn't change a thing" the way work from the others does.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

unklian

I liked how Justin/Scott started off the interview at his shop.
"I can't draw.Don't pretend I can draw.
But if you give me a piece of metal,I can make it look like something."

Ok. :roll:
How many other entries were there in the "Most Radical Pick-up"
class at Autorama?

If I won the lottery,I'd call Chip Foose in a second.No question.

HotRodLadyCrusr

I'm with Ian.  If I won the lotto Chip would get a phone call to start a roadster for me.   Troy would get a call to start on a pro-touring black Falcon convert with a BB monster in it,  and the guy in NY that did my Chevy convert would get Big Olds delivered to him to finish.  And last but certainly not least, the Franks would have a bottomless bank account to cover the expenses of the RRT, so would Ryan for the HAMB.

ibuildm

It will be interesting to see how the MHRA treats Foose and Squecky when they try to enter the Riddler competition next year since both cars have been publically displayed on a national television show. The rules for competing for the Riddler Award state that the car can have no public showing of any kind before the show at Detroit. I know from experience that they should be disqualified from next years show.
   I own Tim's Hot Rods in Spokane, Wa. My shop and another shop (Extreme Customs in Otis Orchards, Wa) built the 1936 Chrysler Airflfow owned by Jack and Sue White of Spokane that won the 20 grand at the Starbird show in Tulsa this year. The original intention was to enter this car in the Ridler competition this year. The car was disqualified earlier for us being stupid. We displayed the chassis with the Viper engine installed and with a set of loner wheels and tires at the Goodguys event in Spokane in 2002. The chassis was still in bare metal and the engine was just as it came out of the crate. Most people would not have even recognized the chassis once it was completed with completely polished engine/trans and the full chrome and polished Kugel IFS and IRS suspension. We worked out butts off for 2 1/2 years to complete this car and compete for the Riddler but it was not to be.  As you can tell I am not too happy with the MHRA's decision to disqualify this car. It will be interesting to see what happens with the Foose roadster next year.

purplepickup

Quote from: "ibuildm"It will be interesting to see how the MHRA treats Foose and Squecky when they try to enter the Riddler competition next year since both cars have been publically displayed on a national television show.

I wondered that too when I was watching.  Maybe the two cars they showed weren't the real cars that will be competing.  I guess we'll see.

It's too bad the Airflow you built couldn't compete.  Judging from the pictures I saw it would probably have been a strong contender.   I hope to see it somewhere sometime.  It's a really nice car.  
:b-d:
George