electric fuel pump

Started by docchevy, December 01, 2005, 08:41:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

docchevy

HI Guys,
    The Delco fuel pump on the rod is not putting out enough fuel above 2000 rpm.  She starts to stumble and gasp.  It even quit on me several times and I hit it with a wrench and it started to pump again. ..... I bought a Holley Blue Pump 12-802-1.  This one has a regulator.  It's supposed to put out 14 psi from the factory.  Is that too much for an Edelbrock 1406, 650 cfm carb?  Can I skip the regulator?
    I have a customer flying in from NY on Saturday and I don't have enough time off to replumb the line.  (Working three jobs right now)
Remember; Physics explains everything!

34ford

Edelbrock says no more than 6psi. They say in the manual to set the pressure at 5.5 psi. They say if the pressure is to high the vehicle will preform well, but may stall on quick turns ans stops with the clutch disengaged. Recommened regulator Edelbrock #8190

enjenjo

Yes that's too much pressure. I think they reccommend no more than 6 psi
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

docchevy

Thanks!  I read the manual and they stated the same thing.  The next question: how do you calibrate it?  I have a pressure gauge.
Next: Where do I find the fittings to replumb it?  I had 3/8 by barb on the A/C with rubber hoses.  I moved to Florida and I don't know the speed shops around here well enough to know where to go.  I don't think that Lowes or Home Depot will have anything like that.  Do Pep Boys?

34ford

I'd go to a local hardware store in the plumbing section and you should be able to find the barbed fittings. If you buy a regulator it might come with the fittings. I put in a "T" in line right at the carb with the pressure gauge on it and set the pressure and then removed it.

reborn55

I run 4 psi pressure on mine with no problems.  Edelbrock says this will help a little with heat soak in warmer climates. .  Mine did well this past summer--and I do not use the thicker one inch spacer.  Just my .02

docchevy

Thanks.  I have a regulator.  It has two outlets so I can put the gauge in one and the other on the carb.  Are you talking Ace hardware etc.?

34ford

Quote from: "docchevy".  Are you talking Ace hardware etc.?

Yep that would be one place in the plumbing dept is where they have them here. Also if there is a NAPA Auto they might have what you need too.

bob

rumrumm

I have a Holley Red pump (7 lbs.) which I run with a regulator set at 5.5 lbs. No problems. Since you are running an electric pump, are you also employing a fuel shut-off so it will quit if you have no oil pressure? If not, it is a very good idea so the pump won't continue to run if the engine dies or you have the key on.
Lynn
'32 3W

I write novels, too. https://lsjohanson.com

docchevy

I have a collision cut-off but not an oil pressure.  How do you hook that  up?
Yup, Lowes had the brass fittings ... Home Depot has none/

docchevy

That did it!  No more bog problems.   It was the A/C fuel pump all along.  I was blaming the carb! :oops:

rumrumm

The fuel shut-off based on oil pressure is a unit that fits into one of the oil pressure outlets in the block. You run three wires--one from a 12V ignition source to it and then another from it to the fuel pump, and I think the third may be a ground (I don't remember without looking at the instructions again). Simply put, it is a way to shut off the fuel pump if you have no oil pressure (engine dies, need the key on to work on the car, or an accident where the engine may die but the key remains on). I'm not sure what you mean by collision shut-off--are week talking about the same thing but just calling it something different?

I remember years ago when George Barris' original Ala Cart went up in flames when the electric fuel pump kept pumping gasoline to a dead engine. A unit like this could have prevented it.
Lynn
'32 3W

34ford

I have one to put on mine in the final stage when I put it all back together. It is called a low oil pressure switch. Made to shut off the motor if the pressure drops.  Looks like an oil pressure switch with 2 studs on it. If I remember right the ground to the fuel pump relay goes to one stud and then the other goes to the ground system on the car. So once the oil pressure comes up it closes the ground and the fuel pump kicks on. You have to put a push button type monetary switch in that goes to ground when pushed in to prime the carb before you start it if it has been setting long. This switch runs the fuel pump only when it is held in. Ken at Haywire told me to set it up this way as a fuel shut off in the motot looses it's oil pressure or dies.  Here's the page with the switch on it  http://haywireinc.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=HI&Product_Code=LPS1037

clear as mud now  :roll:

bob

rumrumm

I used the Holley version (HLY-12-810) which I think is the same thing--just more expensive. But it is all metal--no plastic, not that it makes any difference. You can view it here by clicking on fuel safety switch:
http://store.summitracing.com/default.asp?Ntt=fuel+switch&x=25&y=11&searchinresults=false&Ntk=KeywordSearch&DDS=1&N=115&target=egnsearch.asp
Lynn
'32 3W

1FATGMC

QuoteHolley Safety Fuel Pressure SwitchesNo oil pressure--no fuel.

It's always a good idea to place a safety switch in the circuit when installing an electric fuel pump. Holley has one that will ensure the electric pump will not work unless the engine has oil pressure. It will prevent the pump from running in a situation where the motor may stall with the ignition on. Wiring the switch through the starter solenoid circuit energizes the pump on engine start-up. After the engine is running, the switch continues to provide power to the pump as long as there is oil pressure to keep the switch turned on.

Looks like from the Summit site you could hook it up with out the temporary push button maybe,

Sum