I want to dye leather

Started by 48ford, November 30, 2005, 07:56:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

48ford

Hi Everyone,
I found a set of front seats for the 46, they are out of a silverado and are all power . they are tan leather,the leather is like new.I want to dye them black. Has anyone did this?
What am I getting into?
thanks Russ

BFS57

Hello;
I have had experience with this! If you are looking for absolute perfection to look like black leather, you won't get it! What has to happen is that there are vinyl/leather dye (paint). You prep the surface, shoot the dye, thats about it! Be prepared to do touch ups as it wears! I have seen some dye work that really looks good but not spectacular!
If you are putting these in a show car, I would opt for re cover. If it doesn't matter, go to the body shop supply and see what kinds of dye you can get and select one that works for your application.
Just my 2 cents worth!
Bruce

enjenjo

Last ones I did, I got some PPG stuff from Painters Supply in Maumee. I went from tan to red, and it held up very well, although after a couple years they did need some minor touchup.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

HotRodLadyCrusr

I went to look at a for sale car once, big old convert, that was "done".  High price BUT without even taking much effort I could see the in the seams and welting where everything had been dyed.  Looked like crap.  Told the guy so and walked away.
Your topless crusn buddy, Denise

Looking for old good for nothing flathead heads to use for garden project.

48ford

Thanks for the replies, I'm going to try and dye them myself,and if it looks bad then I will get them recovered.
Russ&Irene