HELP!!! Transmission Pan Leak

Started by 40, November 28, 2005, 07:17:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I have never had fluid coming out of so many orifices on any car I've previously built.I have a rear axle seal leak,pumpkin gasket leak,the lid on the new master cylinder is leaking and will have to be replaced,a leaking swivel fitting on the power steering line and lastly,the tranny pan is seeping.That is the purpose of this post....I had a chrome steel pan that leaked and I have had trouble with them in the past so I replaced it with an expensive aluminum one.Didn't solve the problem....what's strange is that it's seeping in the same exact corner as the previous pan.Is it possible that the housing is warped??My question is.....Is there a type of sealant that can be used to seal the pan in place of the gasket??I know silicone is not compatible with ATF but wondering if there's something similar that can be used.....or....should I try a stock pan from our GM dealer?I have a new M/C coming as well as a new P/S line from Gotta Show and will tear the rear apart tomorrow.If I can get the tranny sealed up....I think I'll be good to go.I hate drips on the shop floor!Thanks!!
"The one who dies with the most friends wins"

ragdol

The "right stuff" is the stuff to use when everything else fails. Don't know if it's compatable with gas, but works with most other fluids. I got some from Car Quest, but it's cheaper at the big box stores.

blksheep

Just to share my experence, after 3 pans, oem, a chrome steel one and finally, an aluminum pan, my leak(700R4) turned out to be the o-ring that seals the trans pump. There was never a tell-tale drip line from the seal, which tells me it was only when running. I replaced the seal and the leak went away. Now, the drain plug gasket (nylon) is cracked and piddles.
Kinda makes you proud to be a street rodder, don't it????

blksheep....pass the paper towels...in Charlotte

Crosley.In.AZ

my not be a pan leak .

Could be a crack in the case?

clean it off good and ry.  A spray can of  foot powder may help locate a difficult to find slow leak , by spraying powder on the area
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Stopped by the GM dealer and picked up an OEM pan and gasket,cleaned everything up real well and got it installed this afternoon.  NO LEAKS  :D  Guess I'm just lucky....2 defective pans in a row! Are all of the "shiny" aftermarket pans junk?? I think I paid over $80 for the "heavy duty aluminum" pan.I could care less about the "Bling" but like the fact the aftermarket pans have a drain plug.Got the new axle seal and the 3rd member gasket installed....the new remote fill m/c and p/s line should be here tomorrow.Would really like to drive the car a few more miles to work out a few of the bugs before I put it away for good but it doesn't appear the weather is going to cooperate.....Cold and snow for the last couple of days and the same predicted for the next week or so.
    Tony....Thanks for the tip using the spray foot powder....didn't need it today but I'll "log" it for future referance.

Rochie

you mentioned a remote fill master cylinder. This is going into the 37 right?  What is it and where can I look for one?
Rochie

Hi Wayne....Actually I'm finishing up my 36 Coupe and am also working on another 37 Sedan.The remote M/C and fill that I am using on the 36 is a Chassis Engineering set up...you can find it here www.chassisengineeringinc.com on page 81 of thier online catalog.I opted for the 15/16 bore and the aluminum reservoir.....they have differant bore sizes and also a less expensive platic reservoir.I ordered mine from Heinzman Rod Shop....John is a great guy!
   I already have the standard set-up installed in the 37 with a regular Corvette style M/C so I am going to use the remote fill set-up from A-PLUS for this application.It consists of a Billet cover that attaches to your current M/C with a fitting and hose that run to a small billet reservoir that can be mounted on the firewall or even the frame rail.The reservoir on the Chassis engineering setup is fairly large and it looks OK on the firewall but I think the A-PLUS set-up is a cleaner look.You can view it at www.aplusrodnkustom.com I'll post a photo of the setup on my 36 when I get a minute.Hope this helps and don't be such a stranger around here!

Rochie

Thanks Daryle,
I don't get much computer time anymore, they actually expect me to work. I'll try not to be a stranger .
Wayne