mopar s/s rear springs...

Started by tomslik, November 19, 2005, 01:43:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomslik

anybody have a good pic of some of the old mopar super stock spring packs?

if ya can't post a pic here(like me) would ya PLEASE e-mail 'em if ya got 'em?

it'd be DEAPLY appreciated...
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

Uncle Bob

If these don't do it for you let me know what you're looking for specifically.
Luck occurs when preparation and opportunity meet.

tomslik

Quote from: "Uncle Bob"If these don't do it for you let me know what you're looking for specifically.

it gives me an idea,thanks.
is there a difference from rt side  to left?

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "tomslik"
it gives me an idea,thanks.
is there a difference from rt side  to left?

as I recall the springs were the same side to side.  some racers added an extra clamp on the right spring, besides the extra clamp mopar installed
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

SKR8PN

The SS springs that I put under my old Dart were NOT the same from side to side. The right side had one extra short leaf than the left side did :wink:

Another neat trick they used to do,was called a leaf-link rear setup. In that they used regular leaf springs to support the car,but added a pair of upper trac bars from the differential to the frame rail,that had heims ends in them to allow the suspension to travel without binding.It worked sorta like a ladder bar setup,only better.
If we are what we eat.........
Then I am fast,cheap and easy.

tomslik

Quote from: "SKR8PN"The SS springs that I put under my old Dart were NOT the same from side to side. The right side had one extra short leaf than the left side did :wink:

Another neat trick they used to do,was called a leaf-link rear setup. In that they used regular leaf springs to support the car,but added a pair of upper trac bars from the differential to the frame rail,that had heims ends in them to allow the suspension to travel without binding.It worked sorta like a ladder bar setup,only better.

like the shelbys?

Uncle Bob

Sorry I didn't get back sooner.

Yes, they're different.  They both have 5 leaves as shown, with the bottom one being a "half" leaf.  The right side one points forward, the left side one points rear.  Also, the left one has a bit less arch which is compensated for by tweaking the front torsion bars loading the right rear essentially.  Also the intermediate leaves are of differing lengths side to side.
Luck occurs when preparation and opportunity meet.

tomslik

Quote from: "Uncle Bob"Sorry I didn't get back sooner.

Yes, they're different.  They both have 5 leaves as shown, with the bottom one being a "half" leaf.  The right side one points forward, the left side one points rear.

hmmm, wonder why THAT is....

Also, the left one has a bit less arch which is compensated for by tweaking the front torsion bars loading the right rear essentially.  Also the intermediate leaves are of differing lengths side to side.

sounds like a set of cal-trac's might be an easier option.....

Crosley.In.AZ

yes it does.
Tony

SKR8PN

Quotesounds like a set of cal-trac's might be an easier option.....

Yes,  they are an easier and CHEAPER solution,PLUS,the CalTracs won't raise your ride height like a set of SS springs will.
And ,Tomslik, the Leaf -link setup was similar to what the Shelbys had.
VERY effective for drag racing,and ,if you build them right,pretty darn good for a road course as well :wink:
If we are what we eat.........
Then I am fast,cheap and easy.

Crosley.In.AZ

I thought the S-S springs were setup the same side to side to help avoid spring wrap up.

I could see where  an extra 1/2 leaf would be  used on the right side.

I may need some Cal-tracs on my Falcon when I get the big turbo motor in it.
Tony

tomslik

Quote from: "SKR8PN"
Quotesounds like a set of cal-trac's might be an easier option.....

Yes,  they are an easier and CHEAPER solution,PLUS,the CalTracs won't raise your ride height like a set of SS springs will.
And ,Tomslik, the Leaf -link setup was similar to what the Shelbys had.
VERY effective for drag racing,and ,if you build them right,pretty darn good for a road course as well :wink:

well, i was thinking about cutting a couple of the leaves on these Chassis eng. springs.
they're pretty stiff under my coupe and if i was gonna fool with 'em anyway....
still think i'll try a little trimming on 'em.

btw, 4.10 gears and a 4 speed, i'll need somethin'.....

tomslik

Quote from: "Crosley"I thought the S-S springs were setup the same side to side to help avoid spring wrap up.

I could see where  an extra 1/2 leaf would be  used on the right side.

I may need some Cal-tracs on my Falcon when I get the big turbo motor in it.

i bought some "traction bars" from MAS a million years ago for a 64 1/2 mustang i had.
that POS would get stuck on an ice cube, put those cheap-azz things on there and it would go anywhere.
what's the point of this?
they worked good at the strip, too.

all they were was a lower spring plate with a 1/2 strip of steel running forward to a clamp that clamps around the very front of the spring.
rode good but the frt 1/2 of the spring was pretty useless;)

parklane

Quote from: "Crosley"

yes it does.

Alright, now if I knew what the heck cal-tracs were, I might have some idea what you're talkin about :?

John :D
If a blind person wears sunglasses, why doesn\'t a deaf person wear earmuffs??

tomslik

Quote from: "parklane"
Quote from: "Crosley"

yes it does.

Alright, now if I knew what the heck cal-tracs were, I might have some idea what you're talkin about :?

John :D

http://www.calvertracing.com/