700 tranny goes BOOM

Started by Crosley.In.AZ, November 11, 2005, 09:45:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crosley.In.AZ

I did not build this tranny.

customer brought it in like this.

I was told by our parts / service rep that the customer reported the tranny shifted to 2nd gear and then made a bunch of noise.  The vehicle then stopped.

:shock:
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

SKR8PN

I have no doubt whatsoever that it DID stop moving :shock:
If we are what we eat.........
Then I am fast,cheap and easy.

enjenjo

And it probably made some noise too :shock:
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

n.c.rodder

Is that what is referred to as catastrophic transmission failure :?:  :?:  

Mike
Till we meet - On the street

reborn55

OUCH---so what caused it to explode.

river1

are you sure it's not one of those instructional cutaways :roll:

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

Mikej

I think you can save it Tony...........................door stop?

Crosley.In.AZ

the fellow claims it is stock OE general motors setup on the tranny.

I am going to do some forensic tranny work on it to see what mods have been performed on it.  Just curious
Tony

tomslik

Quote from: "Crosley"the fellow claims it is stock OE general motors setup on the tranny.

I am going to do some forensic tranny work on it to see what mods have been performed on it.  Just curious

blower motor?
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "tomslik"

blower motor?

Customer says it is a basic 250 hp 350 chevy motor.

:arrow:   :lol:
Tony

C9

When a rebuild is done, does the rotating 'stuff' (for want of a better word) get installed from the front and slid in or does part of it go in from the bottom and some from the front aligning it properly so it all goes together?

If it all goes in from the front do you do it with the case vertical?

In the trans pictured above it looks like it goes vertically into the trash can.... :lol:
C9

Sailing the turquoise canyons of the Arizona desert.

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "C9"When a rebuild is done, does the rotating 'stuff' (for want of a better word) get installed from the front and slid in or does part of it go in from the bottom and some from the front aligning it properly so it all goes together?

If it all goes in from the front do you do it with the case vertical?

In the trans pictured above it looks like it goes vertically into the trash can.... :lol:

there is only one hole in the tranny case that is large eough to install the guts  of the trans.  That is where the pump is too.
Tony

HOTRODSRJ

Could the case have failed first due to stress....launching parts or part thereof into the innerts....causing more damage?  I have seen this before when either there is no rear crossmember mount (as in some tri-fives and some streetrod applications ....where the tranny is hanging off the "dogeared" mounts from the side) or rigid tranny/engine mounting not allowing the engine AND the tranny to flex in the same plain. The case cracks and drops pieces inside and it's a domino effect tuff to diagnose????

HOw is this one mounted?  Just curious...or do we know for sure that it was flying parts from the inside that exited stage ....right..er..ah...top?
STEVE "JACKSTANDS" JACK

SDawgz

My money is on a neutral drop gone bad. I have seen a couple of transmissions with the sides blown out. I showed an AXODE that looked like that to the Vo-tech transmission shop instructor, he just shook his head and said that is what can happen when you rev the engine up in neutral then dump it into drive. As a Vo-tech instructor he has seen most anything a kid can do to a tranny:roll:  . Just my 2 cents.  Shawn