Soft Top Installation On An Old Ford ????

Started by 40, November 08, 2005, 05:38:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The UPS guy showed up today with my new top insert for the 36.Anyone out there have any tips/secrets on installing this bad boy??I have never installed one but have removed quite a few....some have had a wire mesh insert and others have not.The wooden framework looks like new.The instructions for the new top say to install a wire mesh/chicken wire between the padding and the wood bows....I believe the old top had a cheesecloth like heavy material stretched over the bows in place of the wire...but,I'm not 100% sure as it was ripped away by the wind :roll: It says to nail everything in place with the tacks provided but instead of hammering on the original wood structure,I think I'll use one of my air staplers with some 1/2" crown staples.I'm going to tackle it tomorrow evening.....any suggestions greatly appreciated.
"The one who dies with the most friends wins"

34ford

Darrell,

They did an article awhile back in one of the magazines on how to replace the soft tops. they took their material and built a frame out of 1x2 the size of the material and stapled the material to it. them put the frame on top of the care with the black side of the up and put it out in the sun so the material could form to the top of the car and them went around and tacked it into place. this helped stretch it over evenly on the top. Think it might had been in Street Rod Builder. Will look in my pile. Coming up to Souix falls sat to see Scooter, are you anywhere near him??

bob

Elmo Rodge

I did one on my '36 Tudor a few weeks ago. I think I wrote down somewhere what I did. I'll look tonight or in the morning. If not, I'll write it down again. Wayno

Elmo Rodge

OK. Here goes. I got my kit from Sacramento Vintage Ford. It did not include the rubber surround. It had the muslin, 1/4" foam padding, top material, 3M adhesive, and totally unusable tacks. I stapled roofing felt to the wood and then chicken wire. Use fused chicken wire rather than the twisted stuff. The twisted stuff will not lay flat. I just went from the front wood strip to the rear wood strip, full width. I couldn't find a way to attach the wire to the metal roof tack strip. I then glued the muslin to the tack strip starting at the front and rear center and then the sides doing some and letting it dry. Make it as tight as you can. Then came the foam. Pretty much the same thing. Glue it around the periphery, then bevel the edge with a sharp razor blade. I built a picture frame with 2X4s and 1X4s and stapled the top material to it. I then ran a liberal bead of adhesive around the perimeter of the foam and placed the top material on. Since this is a contact type adhesive, I immediately went around the whole edge pushing it down and repeated this step for about 15 minutes. I let it sit overnight. Next day, starting at the center rear I slit about 1 foot at the outside of the groove and started pushing in the rubber (Which I got off of eBay because it was back ordered forever). Getting it started was a bit of a *. I ended up (carefully) using a screwdriver with the tip "softened" a bit. I just kept trimming a foot or so ahead of myself and folding the material under and trapping it with the rubber. As I worked my way around I had to move the frame a bit to keep everything tight. It really worked out well. At the end I left the rubber a little long and pushed it in so there was no gap. Mine came out good. I used the wrinkly chicken wire so it's a little lumpy. I've started sliding poster board between the chicken wire and the muslin from the inside and it is smoothing out. Hope this helps. Wayno

36vicky

Wasn't the chicken wire just there for the radio antenna?  I didn't know it added any structural support.  Why not just skip it?  Just my two cents worth.  In any case, sounds like one of those jobs where you could always use one extra hand.  Good luck.
The Vicky Henry never built, it won\'t be long now, it won\'t be long now, it won\'t be long now...  Tom G.

Dave

Quote from: "36vicky"Wasn't the chicken wire just there for the radio antenna?  I didn't know it added any structural support.  Why not just skip it?  Just my two cents worth.  In any case, sounds like one of those jobs where you could always use one extra hand.  Good luck.

The chicken wire gives it support. No its not for the antenna. Julianos has a tech article in thier cataloge and i think on the web too on installing a top insert. Ive done a few and the best way to do it is to use the aluminum trim with the plastic cover around the edge. julianos sells that too i think but i got it locally.
Dave

Thanks to everyone for the advice! I will most likely be doing the install by myself....the car is painted....the frame idea sounds great but not sure how to manage it without "banging" it into the car.I have decided to forgo the "chicken wire" and the muslin cloth....instead I am going to "Fill" the roof with either a fitted piece of sheetmetal or 3/16" hardboard.I think this will provide a smoother looking top and eliminate any possibility of the top "lifting" when I'm blowing down the road with the windows open.I will then adhere the foam to that and then cover with the vinyl and finally use the fitted rubber seal.Wayne,you are correct....It's a bugger to get the moulding started!I'll post a "follow-up" after I get it completed...Thanks Again!

Bob....I'm right on the way to Scotts.If you come up 77,you drive right by the front of my house.If you come up I-29,I'm a couple of miles off the freeway.I may be heading to Lincoln to watch the Huskers on Saturday....They are playing like S*#T but I would like to go and applaud the seniors in appreciation for what they've contributed over the last 4 years.If I decide to skip the game.....I'd love to have you stop by if it works out....It's funny,I had thought about e-mailing you and seeing if you were going to be around to check out your 34. I'll let you know!

Tom......I have taken the tops out of previous cars I've owned and the radio antenna lead was indeed hooked to the mesh wire.By the way....Glad to know you're still keeping an eye on us around here!How's the Sedan coming along?Say hello to Sue!

Jokester

I put a Juliano's top on my 32 Chevy sedan several years ago.  I followed the instructions exactly and it came out great.  I do remember having very sore hands from putting in the blind rivets every inch around the perimiter.  I drove it for many years with never a bubble, pucker, or leak.  Great product.

.bjb
To the world you\'re just one person; but to one person, you might be the world.

Dave

Quote from: "40"Tom......I have taken the tops out of previous cars I've owned and the radio antenna lead was indeed hooked to the mesh wire.By the way....Glad to know you're still keeping an eye on us around here!How's the Sedan coming along?Say hello to Sue!

Id like to see a pic of how they did that antenna deal? Of course the am bands back then needed about a mile of wire to be effective for good recieving. I never would have guessed it would work unless they used it for the ground plane side of the antenna. If it wasnt insulated from the rest of the car then the whole car becomes an antenna ? Interesting.... I made a hidden antenna for my 32 with just a piece of coax cable stripped back to create a dipole with one end going to the right side of the roof over the door and one to the left. It works great . So good it amazed me. I have a friend that used the chicken wire and a blanket for the roof of a model a with some other material also and sandwitched a regular cheap telescoping auto antenna in between and it works so so.  So being a ham radio operator id like more info on this just because if anybody has it. And if not at least  I learned sumpin new this week....
Dave :D

Elmo Rodge

Dave, when I removed the original chicken wire from my '36, it was attached to the antenna. I guess it would have to be insulated from the rest of the car, huh. Wayno

Well....Just finished the soft top install.It turned out great! Kinda did it my way and made up the rules as I went along :shock: I first cut a piece of 1/8" tempered masonite and "filled" the roof.Got some 1/4" closed-cell sandable foam from the upholstery shop to replace the pathetic excuse for foam that was supplied with the kit...in fact,the vinyl itself was the only thing I used from the kit.I attached the foam to the filler panel with Landau Top adhesive and then used the same to attach the vinyl to the foam....the upholsterer recomended this adhesive over what was supplied and it was very easy to apply and it worked great.I used the template that I made to to cut the hardboard insert panel and pre-cut the vinyl 1 and 1/4" larger than the panel.Heated it up nicely with the heat gun,rolled it up,started it nice and straight and simply smoothed/stretched it as I unrolled it.I rounded the end of a 5/8" dowell which worked great for fitting the vinyl into the moulding channel.The rubber moulding was then installed but not before warming it up with the heat gun and wiping it down with dish soap.A Florida Hurricane couldn't suck that baby out now :lol:  The only thing I'll do differant next time is to use one of those ABS plastic panels....like they use for door panels....instead of the hardboard to fill the roof.I think it would be a bit easier to form to the contour of the roof....a heat gun could be used if needed to get it just right.I'm sure glad I didn't follow the instructions that were included....I'd still be building the framework  :roll: If this job is in your future,I'd forgo the kit and just  buy the vinyl itself if available...the kit was a joke.
  Dave...There must have been several options for radio antennas....I've had  30's era cars with roof mount,cowl mount and even a couple of 35/36's with the antenna mounted under the driver-side running board as well as the "chicken wire" version.In my opinion....none of them worked worth a S**T!