Electric Cooling Fan

Started by richard 36dodge, November 07, 2005, 12:07:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

richard 36dodge

I would like to get your expert opinion. I have a 15" 7 blade GM flex fan on my 36 Dodge , 350/350 w/air and a Walker radiator. It is working fine(never has gotten too hot even in 100 degrees running the air) , but was just thinking about replacing it with electric fan or fans. Does it give you more HP by not turning the fan?   Is it more trouble than it is worth. Do most of you use electric fans for clearance ? Or some other reason.  
Thanks , Rick Harris.

phat rat

why fix what isn't broke?  As long as clearance isn't an issue why replace a mechanical fan with electric? The mechanical won't let you down by breaking at a crucial time, such as that traffic jam in 100 degree weather. The electrics do wear out, bearings and windings for example. On a street car are you really going to see the difference in hp? I don't believe so.
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

WZ JUNK

Quote from: "richard 36dodge"I would like to get your expert opinion. I have a 15" 7 blade GM flex fan on my 36 Dodge , 350/350 w/air and a Walker radiator. It is working fine(never has gotten too hot even in 100 degrees running the air) , but was just thinking about replacing it with electric fan or fans. Does it give you more HP by not turning the fan?   Is it more trouble than it is worth. Do most of you use electric fans for clearance ? Or some other reason.  
Thanks , Rick Harris.

I am with Jack.  With all the cooling problems that some people have, and you do not have problem, do not change anything.  I am going to a lot of extra effort to put a mechanical fan on a car that I am currently building but I have used electric fans successfully in the past.  Mechanical is just a lot easier and simple.
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

GPster

As a way for thanking Skip for his help with my last imagined problem and to show him I learned something. He said that one of the biggest reasons that people are using 100 amp alternators is to run those electric colling fans that they wouldn't need if they had their engines tuned correctly. Now , I wisely am going to shut up. GPster

richard 36dodge

Thanks a lot guys. I will keep what I have. You know us hot rodders  are always looking for something that is better. Sometime is is not. I just fixed my steering by not going to power but a 16" steering wheel. I have all my u-joints at very little angle and it steers nice going down the road but is hard to turn while parking. The 16" wheel is a little big, but it works GREAT.  
Thanks again, Rick Harris

Dirk35

It is my understanding that a mechanical fan is better than a electric fan in most all cases and to unse a elecrtic fan when space/engine placment is an issue.

I agree with phat rat.

Skip

Quote from: "GPster"As a way for thanking Skip for his help with my last imagined problem and to show him I learned something. He said that one of the biggest reasons that people are using 100 amp alternators is to run those electric colling fans that they wouldn't need if they had their engines tuned correctly. Now , I wisely am going to shut up. GPster

Why, I'm genuinely FLATTERED.  I guess that's what I get for taking a night off and logging in to see what's up.
Skip

Early Hemi SME
Hot Rod Wiring Consulting