Special fitting needed ! Help

Started by rooster, November 03, 2005, 05:44:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rooster

I cant seem to find the right plug to take the place of a air tube fitting in a exhaust system. NAPA has somre fitting but nothing this big, its 3/4! Hardware store dont have it either, its the thred thats the problem. Anyone know a sorce for a tubing thred plug?

Rayvyn

Quote from: "rooster"I cant seem to find the right plug to take the place of a air tube fitting in a exhaust system. NAPA has somre fitting but nothing this big, its 3/4! Hardware store dont have it either, its the thred thats the problem. Anyone know a sorce for a tubing thred plug?

Try a commercial hydraulics hose and fitting shop. They always seem to have a good supply of odds and ends that come in handy. Good luck.
***SFC-Team Smart***

What can a bird do that a man can\'t?

Whistle through his pecker...

Jokester

Drill out the hole and re-thread it to a common size.  Or just dril it out to a size that you can hammer a soft plug into.  Or take the fitting you have and weld or braze it shut.

.bjb
To the world you\'re just one person; but to one person, you might be the world.

Sean

Quote from: "Jokester"Or take the fitting you have and weld or braze it shut.

.bjb

I agree. If its going to be a pain in the butt to find another one, grind whats left of the port off the top, weld it shut, then dress the top off flat with a flap disc or a belt sander. If you need the port, drill and tap a new hole.

For that matter, GM may offer a solid plug for off-road use...

rooster

I give up on the plug! Even if I did find it, it would bottom out, (not in deep enough to just wack it off and grind flush.  If im understanding correctly what is being said is to find some stock to fit the inner hole, then weld that to the cast iron, then grind

MrMopar64

Quote from: "rooster"I cant seem to find the right plug to take the place of a air tube fitting in a exhaust system. NAPA has somre fitting but nothing this big, its 3/4! Hardware store dont have it either, its the thred thats the problem. Anyone know a sorce for a tubing thred plug?

Just grind the fitting in the pic flat and weld up the hole in the top then use it as the plug for the manifold

MM64  8)
www.rgkustoms.com
www.rg-kustoms.com
Racing.... Because Baseball, Football, & Basketball
Only Require One Ball..... Gotta Race
  :lol:

rooster

Heres where we are at! We chopped the  air fitting boss off the top of the manifold , then dressed it up !  We have about a 5/8 hole in the top now, theres about enough meat in the manifold to get 2 full threds maybe 3. Would like to thred a plug in and weld it, then chop it off and dress up!

I dont know much about welding anything!

We have a stick welder here a lincon 225! Can the cast iron manifold be welded to a steel plug inserted into the hole. If so what kind of setting should we use, and welding rod.

WZ JUNK

Sorry I am late at responding but I faced a similar problem on an LT 1 motor recently.  I eliminated the air pump and all the lines.  I used the factory plug and I bought a cap that fit the plug at the auto parts store.   The cap was a nice piece of plated metal that resembled a piece of bar stock.  I think the threads on the factory fitting are a little odd and they use a thin flat gasket washer to seal the plug.  Like you, I was unable to find a plug that would work.  It is not as neat as what you are doing but it did not look that bad.  I do not have a picture.
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH