Alternator mount for '57 Chevy

Started by Phil1934, October 29, 2005, 06:52:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phil1934

My neighbor's generator just isn't getting the job done and I don't think there is a high output one, so he wants to change to alternator.  But the early short water pump doesn't have the mounting boss.  He has later heads so has the holes there.  Does anyone make a mount?

Stakebed

Quote from: "Phil1934"My neighbor's generator just isn't getting the job done and I don't think there is a high output one, so he wants to change to alternator.  But the early short water pump doesn't have the mounting boss.  He has later heads so has the holes there.  Does anyone make a mount?

There is probably an aftermarket mount, I don't know for sure. I have a factory mount chevy used in the early 60's that mounts on the  ex manifold in the same holes as the gen mounts. This works for the short pump and may be easier if you can find one.

enjenjo

Mr Gasket still sells that alternator mount that fits on the exhaust manifold. Other than that, I think he will have to go to an aftermarket high mount bracket, there are several vendors that offer it. I like Bill's Hot Rod Shop brackets.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

reborn55

Places like CCI, late great Chevy, Ralph Roberts all see the mount that goes on the exhaust manifold.  You may have to get a longer adjusting arm for it.

tomslik

Quote from: "reborn55"Places like CCI, late great Chevy, Ralph Roberts all see the mount that goes on the exhaust manifold.  You may have to get a longer adjusting arm for it.

alan grove would be my 1st choice
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

Phil1934

I gave him the generator style alternator mount off my v8 Z car.  I just wasn't thinking when he called for help.  I'll get by the speed shop next week for a replacement.

GPster

The late model heads with the tapped  holes in them started in '68 I think but trucks used the short waterpump til  '72 and vettes used them as long or longer. The vettes had a dandy cast iron piec that bolted to the front of the heard on the driver's side and had the hinge part of the alternator built  into it so that the alternator was just to the side of the valve cover. I don't know if trucks are the same or have a mount on the passenger side. That would give him some places to look. GPster