choke ?

Started by wvcab, October 25, 2005, 12:21:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wvcab

on my 400 ford (78 ),  do i need to hook up a wire to the side of the carb? what purpose is this? i have a 2 barrel carb on it. if i need to hook this up, is this a constant 12v or?

forgive my stupidity, thanks
:roll:
robert

GPster

The last one that I got into I wired it with the ignition (off the "+" side of the coil. When the key was on the choke was on. As far as it being on all the time that seems to be taken care of in the dashpot A fancy word for the thing you hook the wire to on the carb). GPster

reborn55

On some of the factory Ford a wire was run from the stator terminal on the alterator to the choke.  usually has about 9 volts there.

jaybee

Quote from: "wvcab"on my 400 ford (78),  do i need to hook up a wire to the side of the carb? what purpose is this? i have a 2 barrel carb on it. if i need to hook this up, is this a constant 12v or?

forgive my stupidity, thanks
:roll:
robert

Should be switched 12v.  It's an electric choke heater to ensure that the choke opens quickly and reliably.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

wvcab

Crosley.In.AZ

I would avoid hooking onto the coil power feed.  It may cause some troubles with the coil & ignition.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

GPster

Quote from: "Crosley"I would avoid hooking onto the coil power feed.  It may cause some troubles with the coil & ignition.
Thinking back, I probably had it hooked to the ignition switch side of the resister. I wonder about that now but I didn't back then. That was '83 and the truck is still running. The new owner (20 years) has never said anything about it. Skip probably stopped reading my replies because it take so long to straighten me out. GPster