Once again RRT saves the day- this time my windows

Started by 48builder, October 22, 2005, 04:52:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

48builder

The windows in my '48 are all set. It's a Chevy sedan for those who don't know. I found the original regulators ( I saved everything until I'm all done) , took off the motors from the Lumina regulators I had, and after a few hours of cutting, grinding, and welding, I have both of them all set up. The teeth on the Lumina matched the original, and they work smooth and quiet. I had to play with the motor position so it would clear the front window channel, and I still have a little finish welding to do, but I figure about 5 hours of my time was worth saving at least $300. I took the springs out to make it easier to work on, so I have to put them back in yet. I figure I probably would have spent that much time putting a kit in, and now if a motor burns out all I have to do is go to the boneyard and get a new on. Plus, using the orginal glass channel will make it easier to put the glass in. I love it when a plan comes together. Total cost of the two Lumina units was $80, so I'm pleased.
'48 Chevy Custom sedan in progress-Z28 LT1 drivetrain, chopped, shortened, too many other body mods to list
'39 Chevy driver

enjenjo

Good for you. It's more fun doing it yourself anyway. :lol:
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

phat rat

Good for you. Glad we could point you in that direction. Always nice to be able to say you found a way of doing it that didn't require a kit.
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

Crosley.In.AZ

sounds great!  Now people will want you to do power windows for them

i would use 1970's caddy power window motors on stuff.  

I had a set on my 57 Chevy truck that a person had better NOT hit the window "up"  button if your arm was in the way!
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

48builder

[
i would use 1970's caddy power window motors on stuff.  

I had 4 of those caddy motors here complete with the regulators, and threw them out a few years back. I think the Lumina motors will work fine. the car has been chopped a couple inches, so the windoes are smaller than they used to be.
'48 Chevy Custom sedan in progress-Z28 LT1 drivetrain, chopped, shortened, too many other body mods to list
'39 Chevy driver