Will a 1800cc Honda Goldwing run hard in curves?

Started by Crosley.In.AZ, October 22, 2005, 12:26:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crosley.In.AZ

Visit these two video links on the road known as  Deals Gap  .  Some sport bike riders cannot keep up with the Goldwing and a top rider, much less the HD or metric cruisers.

These Wing riders are not professional race bike riders, just very good riders.  The scraping noises you hear are the foot pegs and exhaust pipe shields on the camera bike. He was not leaning off the bike into the turn, that is a way you keep the bike a bit more upright with the rider body weight still lower for higher corner speed

Check out Fuse's video riding with Yellow Wolf at Deal's Gap - Part 1

Check out Fuse's video riding with Yellow Wolf at Deal's Gap - Part 2

another interesting site for photos of vehicles on the Deals Gap road...

http://killboy.com/

IF you have dial up ISP...... sorry

8)
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

tomslik

Quote from: "Crosley"Visit these two video links on the road known as  Deals Gap  .  Some sport bike riders cannot keep up with the Goldwing and a top rider, much less the HD or metric cruisers.

These Wing riders are not professional race bike riders, just very good riders.  The scraping noises you hear are the foot pegs and exhaust pipe shields on the camera bike. He was not leaning off the bike into the turn, that is a way you keep the bike a bit more upright with the rider body weight still lower for higher corner speed

Check out my video riding with Yellow Wolf at Deal's Gap - Part 1

Check out my video riding with Yellow Wolf at Deal's Gap - Part 2

another interesting site for photos of vehicles on the Deals Gap road...

http://killboy.com/

oh sure, give me a link to stuff like that and i've got dial-up.....

i've heard of deal's gap.
might have to do it sometime.....
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

phat46

whoa, I thought that looked familiar, i have driven that road when my daughter lived in Higlands NC.  I had an empty car dolly behind my Dodge conversion van driving through there. I came up behind three guys on cruiser/poser style bikes; two of them could keep their speed up fairly well, but they weren't great riders. the third guy rode like he bought the bike the day before, wobbling all over and and making three turns in every corner. They were actually holding me up,as I was in a hurry. after several miles of me riding too close for comfort for them they pulled over and let me pass. I wasn't crowding them, i tried to leave them ten bike lengths or so but I had to keep my momentum up. If you've ever driven this road you know that it is much steeper than it appears in the video, both up and down, and if you lose your speed you'll take a while to get it back, especially with a trailer. I'm sure some guys on the RRT have ridden this stretch on a bike, i know i would love too. and if you think this road is good you have to drive up the mountain from Franklin NC. to Highland NC.: steeper and twistier, but not as long.

Crosley.In.AZ

Deals Gap is a road that will bite you if you are not on your game when on a motorcycle.

I've never riden Deals Gap, but I have riden roads similar.

Posted a few photos of a guy on a cruiser.  First photo shows a cool wave to the camera guy.  The crusier is at a speed that appears a bit hot for the bike and rider.

Second photo the cruiser guy is in trouble. Notice sparkles. Then notice the front tire has lifted off the surface and is NOT rotating. The rider should have shifted his body  off the bike into the turn to keep the bike more upright.

Last photo shows the results, this is known as a low side crash. Bike and rider were in good shape when they stopped flopping around. He rode out of there.

Many bikes crash like this at the Gap. All types of bikes, the Gap ain't picky. Sports cars too. Recently a  350Z car ended up off the road down a slight drop off. It looked like he had parked the car there.. LOL

8)
Tony

EMSjunkie

"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "EMSjunkie"JOB SECURITY!!   :D  :shock:  :D  :shock:  :D  :shock:

Vance

you are a cruel person.  on the flip side , you are also correct!

:shock:
Tony

Never road that stretch...but...If I did,I'd sure have on some leather!I'll bet he looked like a tomato when he finally stopped rolling :shock:
"The one who dies with the most friends wins"

Sean

What kind of drugs were the Engineers on when they layed out that road...? :wink:

tomslik

Quote from: "Sean"What kind of drugs were the Engineers on when they layed out that road...? :wink:

...and why won't they share?

i kinda wonder how much cell phones are used on that stretch..

blahblahblah.....oh *!
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

phat46

Definately NOT a road for beginners. The girl that my daughter was living with in Highland NC. was dating a guy that ran a motorcycle rental business on the Dragons Tail section. The gal that my daughter lived with suffered a spiral leg fracture on that section when she put a foot down while losing control on a bike. She was lterally learning to ride when it happened; that is definately not a road to learn on. But soo much fun, i found myself leaning into the curves while watching the second video.... :D  :D

Crosley.In.AZ

The road is nick named The Dragon, Dragon tail , Tail of the Dragon and others. I will be there in 1 week if I get the time while I am in Tennessee

The vids are fun to watch and listen to the 6 cylinder motor on the Goldwing work.  From the sound of the motor it sounds like FUSE got close to the rev limiter a few times.  :twisted:
Tony

EMSjunkie

Quote from: "phat46"Definately NOT a road for beginners.  The gal that my daughter lived with suffered a spiral leg fracture on that section when she put a foot down while losing control on a bike.    

I have seen alot of those type fractures myself.  :(

North of Amarillo is the Canadian river, about as close to mountains
we have around here.  :?

alot of 4-wheelers play out there.

like I said earlier, JOB SECURITY!!  8)  8)

Vance

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders

parklane

North of Amarillo is the Canadian river, about as close to mountains
we have around here.  :?  :?  

Vance[/quote]

Boy, some of you Americans are weird. Up here we call a river, a river, and mountains, mountains   :lol:  :lol:  :roll:  :lol:  :lol:

John
If a blind person wears sunglasses, why doesn\'t a deaf person wear earmuffs??

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "parklane"

Boy, some of you Americans are weird. Up here we call a river, a river, and mountains, mountains   :lol:  :lol:  :roll:  :lol:  :lol:

John

We  call the wierd ones enjenjo...  :lol:
Tony

EMSjunkie

Quote from: "Crosley"
Quote from: "parklane"

John

We  call the wierd ones enjenjo...  :lol:

you took the words right outta my mouth  :shock:  :lol:

Vance

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders