Any ideas on why my car rides so rough???

Started by efingstein, October 21, 2005, 03:02:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

efingstein

I've been driving my 51 Merc daily for a few days while my wife is off work. This thing beats me to death every day. It rides so bad I don't want to drive anymore. I have a MII frame stub up front and a Buick 425 nailhead. out back I have a camaro rear hung on stock springs with 2 or 3 leafs removed. I know that the rear rides rough because I have about 2'" of travel. That will be cured with a 4-link and bags this winter. I also have 3" WWW bias plys all the way around. When I installed the stub, I had to cut about 2 coils off the springs to get them to fit. I was thinking about junking the bias tires and moving to a radial to see if that helped. Did I shoot myself in the foot by cutting the front springs? Should I have a new set of springs made? Would lowering springs for a mustang work? Should I just suck it up and buy a kidney belt? I'm really just fishing for ideas here.
Every man should forcibly leave his steel toe boot print on the face of history.

Mikej

I would suggest that you weigh the car(total weight), then weigh the front and back so when you order new coils they will be the right height and proper spring pressure for your car. Then don't cut the new coils until they have settled in.( I made this mistake) If you give the right info you shouldn't need to cut them.

Charlie Chops 1940

You might consider coilovers for the front. I have been happy with a pair of Pro Shocks for 14 years or so. Radials will probably ride better in any event.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

efingstein

Hmmm, coilovers. I hadn't even thought of that. Good idea. I definately need to weigh the car.
Every man should forcibly leave his steel toe boot print on the face of history.

enjenjo

Two coils sounds like too much for a Mustang spring to be cut, not that many coils to begin with.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Charlie Chops 1940

Thinking about it some more, my guess is that you are experiencing coil bind because there is not enough spring length to hold up the car AND provide jounce room.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

shine

cutting springs makes them stiffer. any more than 1/4 round and the spring rate is destroyed. learned the hard way , got the tshirt.

Crosley.In.AZ

In my V-8 Vega days I used larger springs. Had to cut them down about 1.5 coils.

Car sat great , rode like a dried up turd.  I got new softer coils.  rode much better.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

count scrapula

Quote from: "efingstein"Did I shoot myself in the foot by cutting the front springs?
YES. When you cut springs to lower a cars ride height you reduce the number of active coils effectively making them stiffer. Thus, making for a harsh ride.
You didn't say if the springs were from a 4, 6, or 8 cyl. Mustang.
Your spring might be to stiff to start with. It's a common misconception that if you have a V-8 in your car you need a V-8 spring.
You need to weigh the car and find the weight ratio.
Most 30's street rods for instance will take a 4 cyl. spring even if it has a V-8 in it because of the front to back weight ratio. So, if you used a V-8 spring it would ride like a log wagon.
You might try going down a size and see where it sits.
Later
Count

Mikej

Quote from: "Crosley"In my V-8 Vega days I used larger springs. Had to cut them down about 1.5 coils.

Car sat great , rode like a dried up turd.  I got new softer coils.  rode much better.

Turd riding?  :shock:

alchevy

On my '40 Chevy 2 door Sedan, I have a Fatman MII crossmember. I bought coil springs for a '74 Mustang II 4c without air to get the right ones. After about 15,000 miles, we cut off one ring and the car rides much better. http://www.astreetrodder.com/IMAGES/newstance02.JPG
A street rod is a vehicle made before 1949 that is modified with modern stuff: bigger motors; newer trans; updated suspension, front & rear; a/c.
Following is a street rod plus definition: No known definition because it changes.

www.astreetrodder.com

efingstein

Thanks for the help guys. I am really considering saving my pennies and getting shockwaves for the front. The rear will be 4-linked this winter. Now here's another question. Should I get the single adj. or double adj. shockwaves? Is the second adj. feature worth the extra $300?

sirstude

Before you worry about the shock waves, how much travel do you have in the front?  Do you have dropped spindles?  If you don't have enough travel, now spring/shock combo is going to make it ride any better.  You have to have travel.  I think we have all been there and done that and one time or another.

Pull the springs out and reassemble everything, put it on the ground and check the travel with a floor jack.

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

efingstein

I have good travel. I checked that on first assembly. I do not have dropped spindles. The reason I cut a coil or two off was that the springs were physically to long to fit between the cup and the lower a-arm. What would you consider a good amount of spindle travel? *, I knew I should have put a camaro sub in there!!!!

Mikej

You may need to find a spring compresser to help get them in.