Mustang II power streering

Started by richard 36dodge, October 18, 2005, 12:35:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

richard 36dodge

This may be an old topic, but it is new to me. I want to put a power rack on my mustang II front end ( great winter project and I am not getting any younger). I have a manual rack that is working fine except it is very hard to turn while parking. I have the steering shaft with the u-joints at a very small angle.  I have a 1978 Mustang II power rack laying on the garage floor that I would like to use with a Chevy pump. I have a small block Chevy with a short water pump and I plan to use the stock power steering brackets form a 68 Chevy. I understand that is an issue of the pump putting out about 1000# pressure and the rack needing a lot less like 700-800 #. I have been told to take out the pressure relief spring and cut off about 1/3 of it and that will make the pressure right.  
Now my question ? Is that correct info ?  What pressure and return hoses should I use ? I would like to know part# and what car they are for.  Also this is going on my 36 Dodge which is a Street  Rod and not a show car.  
I want to thank you for your help in advance.  
Rick Harris

Leon

My opinion - toss the early power rack.  They leak, and are tempermental.  The later mustang racks (79 to Oct-84 Mustang NAPA 22-203F) is cheap, doesn't leak, and will take the pressure from a GM pump.  the older units can give a touchy feel to the steering while the newer unit is a lot smoother.  Many of the manufacturers of Mustang II front clips are now reccomending the newer unit if you run power.  The drawback - one of the mounts has to be slotted about a half-inch if your crossmember isn't already set up for it.

enjenjo

I agree with Leon, just changed one over to the later rack, and it made a world of difference. The steering is much less sensitive, Outside of the right rack mount, it is a bolt in.

If you are set on using the 78 rack, get a Saginaw pump from an Omni or Horizon, they are already set up for the lower pressure, and will bolt right into the Chevy bracket.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

richard 36dodge

THANKS FOR THE INFO. Any idea about the hoses ?
THANKS AGAIN , RICK HARRIS.

WZ JUNK

Quote from: "enjenjo"I agree with Leon, just changed one over to the later rack, and it made a world of difference. The steering is much less sensitive, Outside of the right rack mount, it is a bolt in.

If you are set on using the 78 rack, get a Saginaw pump from an Omni or Horizon, they are already set up for the lower pressure, and will bolt right into the Chevy bracket.

This is good to know as I was preparing to ask the same question.  I had decided to use a hydraulic pressure regulator to drop the pressure.  The regulator feeds the excess fluid back to the reservoir.   I found one that would handle the pressures of the pump for $35.   I just needed to know what pressure the rack required.  Maybe I will just switch pumps but I already have the pump on this engine and it is serpentine belt driven.
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

enjenjo

On the hoses, most NAPA stores can make them up from hose and fittings. There are several aftermarket rod vendors that stock the right fittings too.

WZJunk, you can take the relief valve out of the Omni pump, and install it in the pump you have now for the same effect.

WZ JUNK

Quote from: "enjenjo"On the hoses, most NAPA stores can make them up from hose and fittings. There are several aftermarket rod vendors that stock the right fittings too.

WZJunk, you can take the relief valve out of the Omni pump, and install it in the pump you have now for the same effect.

I like the sound of that.  Seems like we have talked about this before as it is starting to sound familiar.  I will have to look for a a pump to salvage.  Are there any particular years or are they all the same?
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck

Ed ke6bnl

Quote from: "WZ JUNK"
Quote from: "enjenjo"I agree with Leon, just changed one over to the later rack, and it made a world of difference. The steering is much less sensitive, Outside of the right rack mount, it is a bolt in.

This is good to know as I was preparing to ask the same question.  I had decided to use a hydraulic pressure regulator to drop the pressure.  The regulator feeds the excess fluid back to the reservoir.   I found one that would handle the pressures of the pump for $35.   I just needed to know what pressure the rack required.  Maybe I will just switch pumps but I already have the pump on this engine and it is serpentine belt driven.

I have a rack they said was from a 84 t-bird and on the chevy pump I used a Borgeson pressure reducer about $17.00 + shipping. and it went from not feel to just right.  I like the idea of an ajustable controller but I had verly little room for the hoses that Napa made up for me and place one in line. Ed ke6bnl
1948 F3, parts
1950 F1 SteetRod,
1949 F1 V8 flathead stocker
1948 F6 V8 SBC,
1953 Chevy 3100 AD pu future project& 85 s10 longbed for chassis
1972 Chopped El Camino daily driver
1968 Mustang Coupe
1998.5 Dodge 4x4 cummins 4door, 35"bfg,

richard 36dodge

I think after reading all the comments that I will use the 78 rack as a core for a later rack. I have found a rebuild one  for about $75.00. I still don't know about the hoses. Are the newer rack Metric?  Do I need to reduce the pressure for the later racks ? Where did ED get the Borgeson pressure reducer for $17.00 ? and one other question is the u-joint I have for a manual rack the same for the power rack ?
Thanks, Rick Harris.

WZ JUNK

Quote from: "richard 36dodge"I think after reading all the comments that I will use the 78 rack as a core for a later rack. I have found a rebuild one  for about $75.00. I still don't know about the hoses. Are the newer rack Metric?  Do I need to reduce the pressure for the later racks ? Where did ED get the Borgeson pressure reducer for $17.00 ? and one other question is the u-joint I have for a manual rack the same for the power rack ?
Thanks, Rick Harris.

Power rack joint is a different size.  I think you can check RB's catalog and they show which joint fits each.  I am going to use the earlier rack as I had already purchased it rebuilt, but if I had to do it over, I would use the later model.
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck

enjenjo

You don't need to reduce the pressure on the later racks. The hose fittings are metric, but it's not a problem getting fittings.