CORBON DIOXIDE IN MY COOLANT!?

Started by BFS57, October 18, 2005, 12:27:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BFS57

Hello;
I took my '57 Chevy to the radiator shop for some diagnosis about my heating problem. They ran a "Chemical" test on my coolant and told me that the chemical turned a bright yellow (yellow or green) because I had exessive amount of carbon dioxide (from my exhaust) in my coolant. They say this maybe a blown head gasket!

The 350 I just put in is rebuilt and really runs great! I am suspicious of my old intake manifold causing this situation. When I switched motors, I used the intake from the old motor, which had the same heating problem. Being a top notch novice, when I took the old intake off, I didn't see the two little center exhaust "block off" plates which weren't used in the original motor but included in my new intake gasket set. So I did the do without them. Now, I'm hating life because I think these need to be installed as a friend of mine informs me that the purpose of these plates is to block off exhaust to the center of the intake (aluminum) and only not need to be used for an cast iron intake. I also think that there are water passages in this same area where these plates go.

Any of you guys or gals had experience with this?

Think I see a half way engine tear down coming!

Thanks, Bruce

EMSjunkie

I don't know if this will help or not, I'm not real familiar with CO2
as it pertains to internal combustion engines, but it seems to me that maybe they meant CO, or carbon monoxide, which is a byproduct of combustion.

now as far as the human body goes, carbon dioxide is a byproduct of respirations and metabolism. in sufficient quantities, it alters the bodys Ph balance, causing an acidotic condition.  :evil:

when mixed with H2O, it forms a substance called carbonic acid, thus causing the body to become acidotic. We counteract that condition by adding a "buffer" to the system, Sodium Bicarbonate.

so I guess if ya wanna, go throw a couple Rolaids in the radiator  :roll:

sorry for the long dissertation, I haven't slept much the past 48 hrs.  :shock:

Vance
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****

Dave

Quote from: "EMSjunkie"I don't know if this will help or not, I'm not real familiar with CO2
as it pertains to internal combustion engines, but it seems to me that maybe they meant CO, or carbon monoxide, which is a byproduct of combustion.

now as far as the human body goes, carbon dioxide is a byproduct of respirations and metabolism. in sufficient quantities, it alters the bodys Ph balance, causing an acidotic condition.  :evil:

when mixed with H2O, it forms a substance called carbonic acid, thus causing the body to become acidotic. We counteract that condition by adding a "buffer" to the system, Sodium Bicarbonate.

so I guess if ya wanna, go throw a couple Rolaids in the radiator  :roll:

sorry for the long dissertation, I haven't slept much the past 48 hrs.  :shock:

Vance

Sue made bean soup yesterday and ive got sumpin going on too :lol:
The gin and tonics didnt help tonite either... Ill be back :roll: Gotta run or is that got the runs
Dave :?:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

tomslik

Quote from: "BFS57"Hello;
I took my '57 Chevy to the radiator shop for some diagnosis about my heating problem. They ran a "Chemical" test on my coolant and told me that the chemical turned a bright yellow (yellow or green) because I had exessive amount of carbon dioxide (from my exhaust) in my coolant. They say this maybe a blown head gasket!

The 350 I just put in is rebuilt and really runs great! I am suspicious of my old intake manifold causing this situation. When I switched motors, I used the intake from the old motor, which had the same heating problem. Being a top notch novice, when I took the old intake off, I didn't see the two little center exhaust "block off" plates which weren't used in the original motor but included in my new intake gasket set. So I did the do without them. Now, I'm hating life because I think these need to be installed as a friend of mine informs me that the purpose of these plates is to block off exhaust to the center of the intake (aluminum) and only not need to be used for an cast iron intake. I also think that there are water passages in this same area where these plates go.

Any of you guys or gals had experience with this?

Think I see a half way engine tear down coming!

Thanks, Bruce

i think they're saying hydrocarbons (unburnt fuel),look for cracked heads/headgaskets or a cracked block.
might be saying carbon monoxide though but it's the same result.
does the cooling system get a LOT of pressure right away?
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

EMSjunkie

Quote from: "N8DC"

Sue made bean soup yesterday and ive got sumpin going on too :lol:
The gin and tonics didnt help tonite either... Ill be back :roll: Gotta run or is that got the runs
Dave :?:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Sounds like a bad case of F.I.P's  (farts in progress  :shock: )

lay off the gin and tonic, what you need is a Jack Daniels colonic  :twisted:

hope "everything" comes out allright  :!:

Vance

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders

Mr Cool

Quote from: "EMSjunkie"I haven't slept much the past 48 hrs.  :shock:
Vance
But you still make the time to logon to the forum?
Now THATS what you call getting your priorities right. You da man. hotrodding 1st, sleep 2nd.  :lol:  :lol:

Quote from: "N8DC"Ill be back  Gotta run or is that got the runs
A little too much info..................
Im nobody, right?
And dont forget, nobody\'s perfect.

rumrumm

Bruce, since you had the same problem with the other engine, I would suspect the intake manifold. What kind do you have? If it was me, I would order a new one and see if that fixed the problem. You can always sell the old one to recoup some of your investment in the new manifold.
Lynn
'32 3W

I write novels, too. https://lsjohanson.com

348tripower

(quote) plates is to block off exhaust to the center of the intake (aluminum) and only not need to be used for an cast iron intake. I also think that there are water passages in this same area where these plates go.

Those plates are there to control the amount of heat that goes under the carb for the choke mechanism. Shouldn't be any water there, if so, it's a problem.
Don

Also, I thin N8Dc has a problem with the runs at both ends! I think this is obvious in some of his posts :lol:
Don Colliau

BFS57

Hello;
I'm glad we all had a little laugh about this. to answer some of your questions:
Yes, the radiator gets pressure right away! and it keeps this pressure for quite a while!
I have an old Edelbrock performer intake, came with the car! It's quite funky looking! I'm not geting as much vacume as I think I should (solid 15 lbs)I think it should be around 19 lbs.?
I also think that there are two tiny water passages right where the little block off plates go. could have warpage allowing water or exhaust to pass by in this area!
I am planning a future mod to go to TPI. I just don't have everything ready yet!
Have any of you all ever had this "chemical" test done to anything you drive?
I just find it hard to believe that I have a problem like this, when the motor runs so good!?
Guess I'll be taking the intake off soon to see whats up!
Thanks, Bruce

SKR8PN

I use that chemical test all the time to help diagnose leaking head gaskets,cracked cylinder heads,cracked BLOCKS :shock: and even some leaking intake gaskets....................
I do believe that since you are having a very rapid rise in pressure,in the cooling system,you should be looking beyond the intake manifold........
SPECIALLY if this is a SBC
If we are what we eat.........
Then I am fast,cheap and easy.

EMSjunkie

I'm glad we all had a little laugh about this.

Sorry Bruce, hope I didn't cheeze you off any  :shock:
just funnin' a little, like to keep things lively  :)

Vance

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders

Pope Downunder

snip
Burning 1 litre of petrol will produce over 2kg of CO2!

Sounds ridiculous doesn't it; however, it is roughly right.  The other big by-product is good old water.

BFS57

Hello:
To SKR8Pn's reply about using the chemical test, I have some questions?
As I am not a super mechanic and some of this is going where I haven't gone before, I want to know more about other test that could pinpoint my problem! I was told by the radiator shop that a HOT compression test might shed more light on this problem. Got any other test to find whats going on? Wish I had a magic wand!

I'll be honest, every time I do something to improve this car, it seems as though it rebels by doing something like this! It's got me determined to make this car a really nice, reliable daily driver!

Thanks, Bruce

C9

Far as the vacuum level at idle goes, if it's steady at 15", that probably reflects a hotter than stock cam.
I'm guessing something with about 270 degrees adrvertised duration.

Assuming the idle is around 600 rpm, you can check the 'true' vacuum level by spinning the engine up to 900-1200 rpm and holding the throttle steady.
Vacuum level should stabilize at 17-19" depending on how well sealed the engine is combustion-wise.  (Good rings & valves.)

More than likely the radiator shop guy meant Carbon Monoxide instead of Carbon Dioxide.
A common mistake made by many.

I had a one year old Edelbrock Streetmaster, forerunner to the Performer I believe, erode through the exhaust crossover passage due to being cast too thin.
Edelbrock told me they'd cast several of these intakes too thin.
The same may have happened to your Performer.

Another problem could be the type of intake gaskets you're using.
455 Buicks - which I run - come with a sheet metal intake gasket incorporating a bathtub to keep hot oil off the underside of the intake manifold.
These tend to leak water regardless of manifold style unless you use something like Copper RTV around the intake manifold to head water holes on both intake manifold and head side.
C9

Sailing the turquoise canyons of the Arizona desert.

BFS57

Hello;
Yes, This motor does have a Crane "Comp-U-Cam" . This cam is for use with the TPI I got with this motor, which I havn't installed yet. I will try to re check the vacuum like you said using a tachometer.
Thanks, Bruce