scammer

Started by docchevy, October 16, 2005, 09:11:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

docchevy

Just like you said:  I got an e-mail on my '34 from a guy in "Canada".  He says he is an international buyer and a customer is interested in the rod.  I mail back the info. expecting it's a scam, he mails back.  As the agent he will send me a check for $6500 over the cost of the car ... send him the difference.  I called the Sheriff, he says they won't do anything until there is actually a fraud committed.?!#?  They aren't interested in nailing any body.  :evil:

I sent him a note.  "Sounds good.  First send me a deposit of $10 K.  Do you have a problem with that?" .... no answer.

I got phony letters from E-bay (two times) paypal (once) my bank and two banks that I don't even have an account with.  When are they going to start zapping these guys.  Don't ever answer, just delete.  The last E-bay phony had a virus attached!  My McAfee zapped that one. :wink:

Buyer or browser beware!
Remember; Physics explains everything!

Crosley.In.AZ

soon as they want cash back = scam

:shock:
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

unklian

They usually want to send you a check,for more than the agreed amount,and want you to wire them the difference by Western Union.

If they were serious,they would send you the money by Western Union.

Crosley.In.AZ

ya know folks do that scam  in person with a cashiers cheque....... come out , and look at say ; ' a truck you have for sale".

Price is 10k on the truck... the crooks just happen to  have a cashiers cheque for 10.5k.

Usually the check is worthless / forged / stolen , you name it
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Mr Cool

I got a cheque (check) in the mail a while back, with an order for some gear, total value AU$28k, the cheque was for US$25k which is around US$33.5k.
Straight away I was suspicious, even though it was a cashiers cheque.
Anyway, I banked it and guess what? It was made of rubber.
Fortunately I wasnt charged any fees by my bank, and I didnt send anything either.
I had the cheque returned to me and I framed it, along with the letter from my bank and hung it on the wall. Its certainly a conversation piece on what couldve been.
Im nobody, right?
And dont forget, nobody\'s perfect.

Lithgow-Mick

Quote from: "Mr Cool"I got a cheque (check) in the mail a while back, with an order for some gear, total value AU$28k, the cheque was for US$25k which is around US$33.5k.
Straight away I was suspicious, even though it was a cashiers cheque.
Anyway, I banked it and guess what? It was made of rubber.
Fortunately I wasnt charged any fees by my bank, and I didnt send anything either.
I had the cheque returned to me and I framed it, along with the letter from my bank and hung it on the wall. Its certainly a conversation piece on what couldve been.
Thats the 4th time I've heard that story Mr Cool, and every version is different. Ya tosser :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
If its not a Flattie
Then it wouldn,t pull a Sailor
Off Ya Sister

Mr Cool

Quote from: "Lithgow-Mick"Thats the 4th time I've heard that story Mr Cool, and every version is different. Ya tosser :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
Mick if I didnt know you were stirring the pot I'd come back at ya, but youre so full of it I'll just ignore you.  :wink: And Ive only told it twice......... :roll:

If that 32 of yours is so good, drive it down here and see for yourself ya tosser.   :lol:
Im nobody, right?
And dont forget, nobody\'s perfect.

BFS57

Hello;
Read your post about the rubber checks! I got another one! I work for a rental and retail communications co. We started getting  "relay" calls from an operator that claims that the customer is deaf or something and is communicating over a computer through this relay operator. We sold some projectors to these people to find out that the credit card they were using  was stolen and that they were operation out of Nigeria!
Lost two lcd projectors!
Bruce

docchevy

It seems as if the crooks are getting better at lying and the honest keep getting plinked.  Where are all of those great "sting" operations that the fed.s are always pulling in the movies and TV?  And why can't the authorities track down the e-mail crooks, there are ways to follow to the server at fault?
It's enough to make a guy cynical, isn't it?
Remember; Physics explains everything!

Dave

Scammers will continue to operate as long as Humans have one of the deadly sins, 'Greed'. The old adage, "If it sounds too good to be true, then it almost certainly is" is something people should remember. There is no such thing as 'money for nothing' and it is hard to believe that good decent people are so easily sucked in by these cretins. Why would someone give you MORE than what you want for a sale of anything? Why would the rich African Prince send YOU an email to help him get his millions out of the war torn country? Do you seriously believe you have won a lottery that you never entered?

The internet is just another tool for these crooks and thieves to get your money. Before the Internet they used other means (and still do). The bottom line in nearly all scams is that you are going to get something out of it, usually some financial bonus (big or small!) for doing very little (greed!). The reality is they take your money and you get NOTHING but heartache and an empty bank balance! Some overseas countries do not seem to be at all concerned with the scammers operating from them (good for their economy?) and maybe do not deserve to access the Internet! Perhaps it is time for a hard line stance against countries that will not 'police' their scammers and junk emailers?

halfdone

These are the same scams that have always existed, the internet just makes them quicker and less personal.

Old adages like "A sucker born every minute" or "A fool and his money are easily parted" are just reflections of the fact that most money making involves taking advantage of the less fortunate.

Very little new money is created. Everytime someone makes a dollar, someone else looses one.

Forget Internet scams, the stockmarket is the biggest thing around at taking money from lots of everyday Joe's and giving it too a small percentage of the population.......and the Joe's even pay fees for the priveledge of being stung.