Need ZZ4 Crate Motor Distributor Help

Started by seadog, October 14, 2005, 11:30:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seadog

After spending several hours making a firewall recess so that the stock HEI distrbutor that came with my ZZ4 crate motor would fit in my Deuce 5 window project I was dismayed to find that I made the recess too small and the * thing still hits the firewall. (I know, I know..measure twice, cut once.)  My options are to redo the firewall or try to find a smaller distributor.  I've seen small block Chevys with smaller distributors, but didn't pay attention to them.  Can someone on here point me in the right direction.  Who makes a smaller distributor that will work with my motor and what do I need to look for.  Thanks.

rooster

Quote from: "seadog"After spending several hours making a firewall recess so that the stock HEI distrbutor that came with my ZZ4 crate motor would fit in my Deuce 5 window project I was dismayed to find that I made the recess too small and the * thing still hits the firewall. (I know, I know..measure twice, cut once.)  My options are to redo the firewall or try to find a smaller distributor.  I've seen small block Chevys with smaller distributors, but didn't pay attention to them.  Can someone on here point me in the right direction.  Who makes a smaller distributor that will work with my motor and what do I need to look for.  Thanks.

I got one from Dave , and I like it. You can get the parts from a parts store if need be.
http://www.davessmallbodyheis.com/

Crosley.In.AZ

MSD distrib would work.  I ran one in my ZZ4 motor
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

enjenjo

Does this distributor have a vacuum advance or not? How many pins coming out of the wirig harness?
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

PeterR

Quote from: "seadog"....the stock HEI distrbutor that came with my ZZ4 crate ....hits the firewall
This must be a frequent problem.  Is there an after market angle-drive to tilt the dissy forwards?  Something similar to those right-angle drives that fit into an electric drill, but made with about 45degrees angulation.

2buck

If you cannot use this distributor I would be interested in purtchasing it.
That is providing it is equipped with a vaccum advance unit and will work with a non computer control ignition system. My computer will not allow me to setup a PM and hopefully this method willnot infringe on the site's rules. My email is gbucky7093@aol.com :D

Charlie Chops 1940

I have a ZZ4 in my '40 Chevy. The HEI is not computer and has vacumn advance. Put a points dizzy in it or a conversion in a points dizzy.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

HOTRODSRJ

Quote from: "seadog"Who makes a smaller distributor that will work with my motor and what do I need to look for.  Thanks.

DAve's HEI conversions are good.  But, there is literally a whole plethoria of aftermarket distributors that will fit and work great.  Mallory, MSD, Pertronix to name a few.
STEVE "JACKSTANDS" JACK

Crosley.In.AZ

since the ZZ4 motor has a roller lifter camshaft I believe the dizzy gear needs to be compatible material  with the cam shaft
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Charlie Chops 1940

The roller cam is not a steel billet. I believe the gear on the dizzy is normal, not bronze, but I'll check some other resources.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!