TPI fuel pump

Started by enjenjo, October 09, 2005, 06:17:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

enjenjo

I'm doing a car right now, converting it to a TPI. The owner wants an external fuel pump. Anyone with a recommendation? It has to put out 45 psi minimum.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

tomslik

Quote from: "enjenjo"I'm doing a car right now, converting it to a TPI. The owner wants an external fuel pump. Anyone with a recommendation? It has to put out 45 psi minimum.

first gen(86-88ish) fuelie ford PU's had whatcha need but they kinda liked having a supply pump
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

enjenjo

That goes back to the in tank pump. the car has an EFI ready Tanks inc tank in it, but for some reason he does not want an in tank pump.

tomslik

Quote from: "enjenjo"That goes back to the in tank pump. the car has an EFI ready Tanks inc tank in it, but for some reason he does not want an in tank pump.

well, kinda, the first ones didn't have a supply pump, just one mounted on the frame rail.

wouldn't be MY 1st choice (i'd rather have it in the tank, they run cooler)but....
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

bowtietillidie

Quote from: "enjenjo"I'm doing a car right now, converting it to a TPI. The owner wants an external fuel pump. Anyone with a recommendation? It has to put out 45 psi minimum.

enjenjo:   I have done this ,     Use an Airomotive pump(found in Jegs or Summit catalogs)mount airomotive pump as near the bottom as possible and behind the tank it also helps to use a small transfer pump to insure fuel deleivery under all condisions(spelling)   Also be sure to use a GOOD
fuel pressure regulator and return line with NO sharp bends.

bowtietillidie
BOWTIETILLIDIE

Bruce Dorsi

---------------------------------

Airtex # E8228 Universal MPFI rollervane pump.  Inline pump flowing up to 44gph @ 40psi, or up to 36gph @ 60psi.  100-125 psi shut-off.   Uses 5/16" hose.

Airtex # E8248 Hi-Perf universal MPFI rollervane pump.  
Inline pump flowing 60-70gph wide open, drawing 8 amps @12vdc.   110-120 psi shut off.  
Uses 3/8" hose.  
1-7/8" dia  x 7-3/4" long.
(Same pump as used in Edelbrock Pro-Flo efi systems.)

I believe Cartech pumps use the same part #'s.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If being smart means knowing what I am dumb at,  I must be a genius!

enjenjo

Thanks Bruce, I'll track those numbers down.

WZ JUNK

The external pump I just used on the LT1 motor is very loud.  It sounds like you have something ready to self destruct every time you have the engine running.  I tried isolating the pump in rubber and I have short pieces of rubber fuel lines at each end of it, but it still roars.  Another reason to use an in tank pump.
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

enjenjo

Well, I'm going to try to convince him again, this time on the basis of money. I can buy the complete pickup and pump assembly from tanks cheaper than just the external pump.

WZ JUNK

Quote from: "enjenjo"Well, I'm going to try to convince him again, this time on the basis of money. I can buy the complete pickup and pump assembly from tanks cheaper than just the external pump.

I think the in the tank pump is the way to go.  I had to go with the the inline because, like you, that is what the customer wanted.
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

BFS57

Hello:
I have been dealing with a company that has the answer> Affordable fuel injection> They have everything at reasonable prices. Another source for ideas is Chevy Thunder! He has lots of different ways to go but thios site is information mostly.
Hope I'v been helpful!
Bruce

2rods

This pump will work from holley. I don't think you need a regulator as the TPI unit has it's own. Walbro actually makes this pump and I believe the Walbro # is GSL 392. You really should talk him out of the external pump. Hope this helps.

enjenjo

I think I talked him into an internal pump. The price scared him out of external pumps.

2rods

What would scare him? Those pumps are only about 125-150.

enjenjo

I didn't give him those prices, I gave him the $300 prices :lol:The tank has to come off anyway to install a return line, and a sump, so it just makes sense to install an in tank pump.