aluminum gas tank

Started by docchevy, October 08, 2005, 07:59:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

docchevy

I finally got the Street Beast on the road.  Last week I went to a show and filled the gas tank half full for the first time.  The next morning I find gasoline dripping all over the garage floor.  It seems that this brand new aluminum tank has a pinhole on the side at one of the welds on the support flanges.  I polished it and clear coated it before I put it in.  should I even attempt to use one of those putty products or should I just take it somewhere to get it welded up?
Remember; Physics explains everything!

tomslik

Quote from: "docchevy"I finally got the Street Beast on the road.  Last week I went to a show and filled the gas tank half full for the first time.  The next morning I find gasoline dripping all over the garage floor.  It seems that this brand new aluminum tank has a pinhole on the side at one of the welds on the support flanges.  I polished it and clear coated it before I put it in.  should I even attempt to use one of those putty products or should I just take it somewhere to get it welded up?

ok, you guys are gonna think i'm nuts BUT it works.....

windshield urethane.

beats anything else i've ever used.
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

phat46

Quote from: "docchevy"I finally got the Street Beast on the road.  Last week I went to a show and filled the gas tank half full for the first time.  The next morning I find gasoline dripping all over the garage floor.  It seems that this brand new aluminum tank has a pinhole on the side at one of the welds on the support flanges.  I polished it and clear coated it before I put it in.  should I even attempt to use one of those putty products or should I just take it somewhere to get it welded up?

you could try a putty on it, i know several people who have used it succesfully, or you could coat the inside with a sealer. I used a sealer from J.C.Whitney on my home built tank that had a couple pinholes in it and it stopped them.

enjenjo

I coat tanks with Red Cote sealer as a matter of course. I can buy it local at the paint store, and it will take care of any pin holes. I've found pinholes in several fabricated tanks I bought.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

1FATGMC

Not to steal this thread or anything but when my high school buddy and his son where here a couple weeks ago they brought and gave me a '68 Suzuki X-6 like I use to have and which I sold lots of when I had the motorcycle shop.  Looks like the bike was out some with no gas tank cap and it has rust in the tank.  The rust isn't real bad and I don't think there are any holes.  I put gas in the tank and there are no leaks, but I'm sure I'll get rust in the petcock and carbs.

Is there something out there I can use to neutralize the rust in the tank and then maybe use one of these sealers you guys are mentioning.

What would you recommend,

Sum

enjenjo

A couple hands full of marble sized pebbles, and some water with soap in it. Believe it or not, water will disolve rust. After it sets for a couple hours, shake the tank so the pebbles knock the rust loose. Do this every which way, and repeat for a couple days, a few hours apart. That should get all the rust out. Then dry the tank, and use sealer on it, that will eliminate any residual rust that may still be present.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

docchevy

Sounds like a winner!  I'll try it. I need to buy some more urethane to seal the edge of the running board covers anyway.

THANKS!

1FATGMC

Quote from: "enjenjo"A couple hands full of marble sized pebbles, and some water with soap in it. Believe it or not, water will disolve rust. After it sets for a couple hours, shake the tank so the pebbles knock the rust loose. Do this every which way, and repeat for a couple days, a few hours apart. That should get all the rust out. Then dry the tank, and use sealer on it, that will eliminate any residual rust that may still be present.

Thanks Frank.  Someone else metioned marbles, but I didn't have any  :cry: .  I have lots of pebbles though.

c ya, Sum

docchevy

Yup, I had a rusty tractor tank that I cleaned that way.  I used sand too.  By swirling it about it got it very clean.  I did it in an afternoon, dried it and sealed it and it's still running to the best of my knowledge (I sold it to a guy in town when we moved into the city).

EMSjunkie

There is a REAL simple fix that everbody is overlooking.

just fill up to half a tank, you may have to stop more often, but at least it won't leak.  :shock:

hows that for logic  :?

Vance
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****

Rayvyn

Quote from: "EMSjunkie"There is a REAL simple fix that everbody is overlooking.

just fill up to half a tank, you may have to stop more often, but at least it won't leak.  :shock:

hows that for logic  :?

Vance

But what if the leak is at the bottom? ~:)
"CLEAR"...............zap..............._______________________________
"No brain activity, Doctor. I think this one's a goner."
:wink:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :0-0
***SFC-Team Smart***

What can a bird do that a man can\'t?

Whistle through his pecker...

Rayvyn

Quote from: "docchevy"Sounds like a winner!  I'll try it. I need to buy some more urethane to seal the edge of the running board covers anyway.

THANKS!

Hey Docchevy,
You bringing the Beast to the Tampa show next weekend? PM me.
B
***SFC-Team Smart***

What can a bird do that a man can\'t?

Whistle through his pecker...

BFS57

Hello:
I too have had this problem! Short term cure: Make sure the area is dry (no gas leaking) scuff it a bit, mix some JB Weld and apply! works wonders!
I will also be in Tamps next weekend with the Victoria! I hope to see some of you all there!
Bruce

Kctom

Quote from: "BFS57"Hello:
I too have had this problem! Short term cure: Make sure the area is dry (no gas leaking) scuff it a bit, mix some JB Weld and apply! works wonders!
I will also be in Tamps next weekend with the Victoria! I hope to see some of you all there!
Bruce

when you repair it from the outside, pull a small vacuum on the tank, it will suck the epoxy or what ever in the crack.
TOM

jaybee

Quote from: "enjenjo"A couple hands full of marble sized pebbles, and some water with soap in it. Believe it or not, water will disolve rust. After it sets for a couple hours, shake the tank so the pebbles knock the rust loose. Do this every which way, and repeat for a couple days, a few hours apart. That should get all the rust out. Then dry the tank, and use sealer on it, that will eliminate any residual rust that may still be present.

I've done the same thing, but with a chain in the tank.  Worked like a charm.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)